Lt. Commander
The title is grander then what I did so far - I only have the DVD set for the half of the first season, and watched only the first 3 episodes.

The digital remastering is pretty cool, particularly space shots just look "nicer" - though I still feel the Enterprise model itself is a little too plain and lacking detail. Maybe that was the real intention originally, but I can't shake off the reason that budget limitations where also a reason for not making a more elaborate model.

Anyway, I have only watched the first 3 episodes, and I have already noticed three things:

1) Janice Rand
Janice Rand has a fairly prominent role in the first 2 episodes. It feels odd that fandom or the later movies didn't do all that much to her, at least as far as I know. Maybe she moves into the background or disappears for the other episodes, I don't know, but still, at this point one wouldn't have guessed she is not one of the main cast.

Uhura and Spock
There are many Trekkies that hate the prequel-reset movies, and some of them single out the relationship between Uhura and Spock as something "unfitting". Well, in the first episode, Uhura is clearly flirting with Spock, and the second episode, her song might also be very well interpreted as such. If someone would rewatch the TOS episodes to recapture the characters, it doesn't seem like a stretch to make something more out of this.

Delta Vega
The episode "Where no Man has Gone Before" involves the planet of Delta Vega. If I am not mistaken, Delta Vega is the colony that the Borg attack in the tutorial. Well, Delta Vega at the time of Kirk is a pretty lifeless planet with an automated mining/fabrication facility, so it seems a surprise to suddenly see it a fully fledged inhabited Federation colony - Except for the fact that Gary Mitchell is actually creating life on the planet in preparation of being stranded there.
Might this have allowed to later colonize the world? What happened really to MItchell? Could it be that the psychologist chick that also gained superpowers faked her own death (Mitchell was able to manipulate his life readings, after all), or that Mitchell didn't die, and restored the world to a habitale planet.
Could the Borg have chosen Delta Vega as target because they learned about MItchell's powers and hoped to assimilate it?
Lt. Commander
# 2
01-23-2011, 03:27 AM
For me, the jury's still out on the prequel movie series.

In the tutorial I think it was Vega Colony that was attacked and not Delta Vega, I could be wrong though
Lt. Commander
# 3
01-23-2011, 06:01 AM
Quote:
For me, the jury's still out on the prequel movie series.

In the tutorial I think it was Vega Colony that was attacked and not Delta Vega, I could be wrong though
Should you be correct, then let me replace my 3rd finding with a different finding that I had forgotten:

Kirk has balls of steel.
In two of these 3 episodes I saw, he encountered superpowered beings. And he had no problem going toe to toe with them. He used stern words to control Charlie X for the better part of the episode!
Lt. Commander
# 4
01-23-2011, 07:26 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by MustrumRidcully View Post
1) Janice Rand
Janice Rand has a fairly prominent role in the first 2 episodes. It feels odd that fandom or the later movies didn't do all that much to her, at least as far as I know. Maybe she moves into the background or disappears for the other episodes, I don't know, but still, at this point one wouldn't have guessed she is not one of the main cast.
As I recall, the Desilu/NBC execs basically forced Roddenberry to toss her out an airlock. Reasons for this include the fact that the execs didn't want Kirk to have a "steady" girl to the actress' problems with alcohol at the time.
Lt. Commander
# 5
01-26-2011, 07:12 AM
And I've now finally seen the scene where Kirk is wielding a stone thingy that looks kinda suspicious.
Lt. Commander
# 6
01-26-2011, 09:16 AM
You want a treat, see the remasterd on Blu-Ray. They did an awesome job restoring it to HD quality. And as for Kirks stone thingy, my theory is that Gene did that on purpose, to see if he could get away with it. Call it a Trek Easter Egg.
Lt. Commander
# 7
01-26-2011, 09:36 AM
I read an interview that Grace Lee Whitney did in a Trek magazine stating why she was absent for much of the later episodes and not to prominate in the movies. She had a really bad drug and alcohol addiction. Here's a link for more about it. http://memory-alpha.org/wiki/Grace_Lee_Whitney

The link also gives a list of episodes and movies her character played in.