Lt. Commander
With this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=74bLJo8oBc0

Choose the "CC" on the bottom of this video to activate english or german subtitle. All I can say finally starship interiors that actually look like a starship! I guess its time for all those people who said that a free browser based game could never compete with STO to eat their words
Lt. Commander
# 2
01-23-2011, 10:25 AM
it looks surprisingly good. then again so did the trailer for the phantom menace and we all know what happened there.

ill reserve judgement until i play it.
Lt. Commander
# 3
01-23-2011, 10:31 AM
Yeah it looks pretty impressive so far. Especially considering it's a browser game. I'm looking forward to it's release. Maybe someone will finally honor us Klingons with a worthy war.:p

That said, you probably should have put this in 10 forward. No doubt placing it in the wrong forum is good enough excuse to get it closed.
Lt. Commander
# 4
01-23-2011, 10:38 AM
Hmmm I wonder how someone who made a browser game managed to secure the rights for all the Star Trek content...
Lt. Commander
# 5
01-23-2011, 10:44 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by FarsightFrostwhisper
Hmmm I wonder how someone who made a browser game managed to secure the rights for all the Star Trek content...
I'm guessing they contacted CBS and got approval. STO isn't the only Star Trek game, and hopefully infinite space won't be the last.
Lt. Commander
# 6
01-23-2011, 10:47 AM
They said the game's budget was in the seven figures. That could be anywhere from 1mil to 9.9mil. What is the average budget for an MMO? Anyway, like Revo said I'll wait until I can try it to really pass judgement, but I like what I saw so far.
Lt. Commander
# 7
01-23-2011, 10:48 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grox View Post
I'm guessing they contacted CBS and got approval. STO isn't the only Star Trek game, and hopefully infinite space won't be the last.
Hmm... by the way, how is it with "canon" and these games? Most of these games deal with things that haven't been mentioned in any later canon stuff. So, if STO says that in 2410 Borg came and assimilated the crap out of everyone, while Infinite Space says that in 2410 giant vulcan-eating amoeba ate planet Vulcan, which of them is "correct"?
Lt. Commander
# 8
01-23-2011, 10:52 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by FarsightFrostwhisper
Hmm... by the way, how is it with "canon" and these games? Most of these games deal with things that haven't been mentioned in any later canon stuff. So, if STO says that in 2410 Borg came and assimilated the crap out of everyone, while Infinite Space says that in 2410 giant vulcan-eating amoeba ate planet Vulcan, which of them is "correct"?
Infinite Space takes place during DS9, so will probably be focued heavily on the Dominion War. But either way, games do not determine canon. No matter what STO might do with its story, if CBS decided they wanted to make another TV show set in 2409, they can completely ignore whatever story STO has set up if they want.
Lt. Commander
# 9
01-23-2011, 10:54 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by The.Grand.Nagus View Post
Infinite Space takes place during DS9, so will probably be focued heavily on the Dominion War. But either way, games do not determine canon. No matter what STO might do with its story, if CBS decided they wanted to make another TV show set in 2409, they can completely ignore whatever story STO has set up if they want.
Ah ok thank you.
Lt. Commander
# 10
01-23-2011, 11:21 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by The.Grand.Nagus View Post
They said the game's budget was in the seven figures. That could be anywhere from 1mil to 9.9mil. What is the average budget for an MMO? Anyway, like Revo said I'll wait until I can try it to really pass judgement, but I like what I saw so far.
It depends on your definition.

The average console game hovers around $20 million.

I think STO's was around $13 million USD by industry guesstimates (and another $7 for release) but that was helped by reusing a lot of the toolsets from Champions. I think Champs had around a $50 million budget and STO was able to piggyback off that in terms of a lot of the core engine tech.

Rift cost $50 million. DCUO was around $60 million, I think. WoW was around $65 million but its estimated it would be twice as expensive to produce as a new MMO today if it utilized modern graphics and hoped to have the same market saturation. APB was around $100 million. TOR is around $200 million.

An internal document from Interplay showed that their planned Fallout MMO in 2006 called for $45 million and $30 million in release expenses and marketing.

Free to Play games have smaller budgets, generally. Allods Online had a $12 million budget.