Lt. Commander
# 11
01-23-2011, 10:24 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by The.Grand.Nagus View Post
Infinite Space takes place during DS9, so will probably be focued heavily on the Dominion War. But either way, games do not determine canon. No matter what STO might do with its story, if CBS decided they wanted to make another TV show set in 2409, they can completely ignore whatever story STO has set up if they want.
Cryptic did try to coordinate things a bit more, which is why their designs got used in the Countdown comics. (That design evolved into the B01 but was an alpha build design by Cryptic, based somewhat on the Perpetual designs.) I also recall hearing that CBS was enthusiastic about personal shields tech.
Lt. Commander
# 12
01-23-2011, 10:27 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leviathan99
Cryptic did try to coordinate things a bit more, which is why their designs got used in the Countdown comics. (That design evolved into the B01 but was an alpha build design by Cryptic, based somewhat on the Perpetual designs.) I also recall hearing that CBS was enthusiastic about personal shields tech.
Oh I'm not denying coordination. My point is simply that the games follow canon, not the other way around. Which means if 2 different games came out that were set in 2409, they would only have to follow canon up to Nemesis(and the events from the new movie that took place in the prime universe), but they could each make up their own story afterward. Granted, I highly doubt CBS would allow that, but its still hypothetically true.
Lt. Commander
# 13
01-23-2011, 10:39 AM
Man, that just plain looks cool!

Thanks for the update OP. I've been following this for awhile now. The Ocuda's are involved as well, which I'm hoping means a stricter sdherance to canon art directions.

Can't wait to see how the gameplay works.
Lt. Commander
# 14
01-23-2011, 11:00 AM
Not to sound snarky....or ok, yes i will. TBH im glad this game is coming. I know there are people who play STO because they dont have any other choice, since there isnt any other such star trek game. Canonists, i direct you to this game. And then i'll finally be able to request 25th century styling for ships and interiors and less TOS material. Its not that i have anything against TOS, i just feel thi game is far too rooted in what came before.

I hope i dont get flamed. I mean this in the most positive manner possible.
Lt. Commander
# 15
01-23-2011, 11:43 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by DLRevan View Post
Not to sound snarky....or ok, yes i will. TBH im glad this game is coming. I know there are people who play STO because they dont have any other choice, since there isnt any other such star trek game. Canonists, i direct you to this game. And then i'll finally be able to request 25th century styling for ships and interiors and less TOS material. Its not that i have anything against TOS, i just feel thi game is far too rooted in what came before.

I hope i dont get flamed. I mean this in the most positive manner possible.
I completely get your point and agree. More options is always better. And more competition means Cryptic will have to step it up.
Lt. Commander
# 16
01-23-2011, 01:16 PM
if everything else is done right and the production values are high (gfx, ship combat, exploration), AND it is not instanced and shallow, it will beat STO to the ground or STO will have to go MICRO.

Unless STO comes out with true non instanced persistent exploraton AKA 'the voyage home proposal' as in something similar in theory but not neccessary voyager traveling home, then STO will do well.

Also STO might not neccessarily lose, out, I mean Inf Space is free, so you can play both. If enough people stop playing STO altogether I am sure a micro transaction and help STO. Imagine 1 million accounts paying 5 dollars a month in the c-store, thats even better than 50k subscribers paying 15 dollars a month and buying in the c-store.

And trust me even the most casual will buy c-store stuff as long as its subscription free. I really feel subscription free, with a great minor transaction store is the greatest thing any game can do, its obvious if you go micro transaction but dont have anything in your store that people want, that you will fail, but theres lots of stuff in the c-store fans will want especially when it reaches a wider base of people.

With all the galaxy -x and excelsiors flying around, imagine how much you would see if there were 1 million accounts playing STO. and the proportion of people buying would be the same. If 5000 people bought those ships with only 75k subs, like 250k would buy it with 1 million accounts playing.
Lt. Commander
# 17
01-23-2011, 02:52 PM
"The game will be a free-to-play casual browser game."
-IS Homepage

Casual almost always tranlsates to relatively low amount of content . STO has this problem as well but at least we have the foundry now on tribble (and eventually on holodeck) which does much to alleviate this.

Looking around on their site they seem to have nothing about ships/factions other than federation, klingon, or cardassian, and the overall repertoire of ships seems a bit lacking. Still, I hope it turns out great.
Lt. Commander
# 18
01-23-2011, 02:58 PM
Ship interiors look more accurately scaled and it's 3rd person.
Lt. Commander
# 19
01-23-2011, 02:59 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by PotatoOverdose View Post
"The game will be a free-to-play casual browser game."
-IS Homepage

Casual almost always tranlsates to relatively low amount of content . STO has this problem as well but at least we have the foundry now on tribble (and eventually on holodeck) which does much to alleviate this.

Looking around on their site they seem to have nothing about ships/factions other than federation, klingon, or cardassian, and the overall repertoire of ships seems a bit lacking. Still, I hope it turns out great.
STO is also only a year old, and it's steadily getting better. If you compare it to most other MMO's at this stage of development (even WoW when it was only a year old), it's comparable and not doing badly at all.
Lt. Commander
# 20
01-23-2011, 03:00 PM
meh, looks alright