Lt. Commander
# 21
01-23-2011, 04:00 PM
It's Star Trek so I will of course try it out when it is released. If its better than STO ... well .... you know what happens next . Its up to Cryptic to pull-out-all-stops and impress the pants off everyone between now and the release of this game.
Lt. Commander
# 22
01-23-2011, 04:15 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by jkstocbr
It's Star Trek so I will of course try it out when it is released. If its better than STO ... well .... you know what happens next . Its up to Cryptic to pull-out-all-stops and impress the pants off everyone between now and the release of this game.
Heres the really disturbing part: it doesnt have to be BETTER than STO because its FREE. Lets just say that STO is 5 stars and this Infinite Space is only 4 stars. Even though its not quite as "good", the fact that its free will make some people play that over this. Not saying you will behave that way, just saying some will.
Lt. Commander
# 23
01-23-2011, 04:16 PM
I know a whole load of people in my fleet that would probally play it(UFP pre-dates STO) because they belong to the old crowd that do not believe in paying monthly to play a game.
Lt. Commander
# 24
01-23-2011, 04:17 PM
If you check out their web player, and the graphics they have for the Galaxy and BoP, you can tell that the graphics they're working with are pretty much at the level of most browser games.

It wont compete with STO. It wont have as much content, and it wont be as pretty. What most people are oohing and ahhing over are trailers and concept art, which don't reflect actual in game play.
Lt. Commander
# 25
01-23-2011, 04:18 PM
Anyone see how space combat looks very similar to Star Trek: DAC and STO combat mixed?
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NjRdkB1WczA

Look at 4:10 on the OP's link to compare.
It looks like the camera is locked above a players ship
Lt. Commander
# 26
01-23-2011, 04:20 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by AdmGillis View Post
If you check out their web player, and the graphics they have for the Galaxy and BoP, you can tell that the graphics they're working with are pretty much at the level of most browser games.

It wont compete with STO. It wont have as much content, and it wont be as pretty. What most people are oohing and ahhing over are trailers and concept art, which don't reflect actual in game play.
The link in the OP post was mostly developer interviews and in-game footage. Yes, most of the information before was cinematics but this new video shows ship combat (cardassian v. Galaxy-class) and station interiors in the linked video (and the interiors already make STO's look clunky).

Content-wise, I'm highly doubtful it will surpass STO.
Lt. Commander
# 27
01-23-2011, 04:28 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by The.Grand.Nagus View Post
Heres the really disturbing part: it doesnt have to be BETTER than STO because its FREE. Lets just say that STO is 5 stars and this Infinite Space is only 4 stars. Even though its not quite as "good", the fact that its free will make some people play that over this. Not saying you will behave that way, just saying some will.
I'm taking exactly the opposite approach..."It's FREE? So I get to play BOTH at no extra cost!"
Lt. Commander
# 28
01-23-2011, 04:30 PM
That's assuming they don't go belly up before launch. I've been bit by an online Star Trek game before that never came to fruition(Perpetual). I'll believe it when I see it.

And the idea of a free browser-based game even remotely matching STO in the realms of content and gameplay is laughable. It might have better graphics; it might have better interiors. But it will not have the depth of STO.
Lt. Commander
# 29
01-23-2011, 04:31 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by The.Grand.Nagus View Post
Your surely not suggesting STO should go F2P? ... hey Nagus
Lt. Commander
# 30
01-23-2011, 04:33 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Commadore_Bob
That's assuming they don't go belly up before launch. I've been bit by an online Star Trek game before that never came to fruition(Perpetual). I'll believe it when I see it.

And the idea of a free browser-based game even remotely matching STO in the realms of content and gameplay is laughable. It might have better graphics; it might have better interiors. But it will not have the depth of STO.
Perpetual wasnt a very big company. GameForge is:

http://us.gameforge.com/home/index