Lt. Commander
# 101
05-16-2009, 05:48 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by J.L.Picard View Post
All fine and dandy, but it's time to forget the Romulans, One of the problems with Star Trek is that they cant seem to let the big players just die, by this i mean in the greater scope of things.

I ust hope the people writing this dont bring back the Romulans for the sake of the game, they happen to be my second favourite faction after the Federation but bringing them ack for the sae of it is just a bad idea.
So,are u say this than when the borg assimilate the earth and destroy 75% of the fred. fleet ?
"Big Players" cant die so easily,this thing makes them "big" , when u know what i mean
Lt. Commander
# 102
05-16-2009, 07:15 PM
I have a theory that could explain this new "trekkie" conflict:

The old "time traveling" actually changed the time-line versus the new "time traveling" created a new time-line.

What if, every time they went back in time, they always created new time-lines? When they where going "back" to the future, they were actually going to the future of this time-line. The way their time actually "changed" would therefore only be an illusion created by the assumption that they were still in the same time-line...

Only my two cents. And as I have yet to watch everything star trek related (it's on the way), I may be in the wrong... In fact, I'm pretty sure I,m in the wrong, but well, I think it makes sense.

[EDIT]
By the way, I LOVE these stories! They are well written (this come from a literature student) and are very interesting. Being a "trekkie-lite", I don't know much about the new times (only watched TOS and parts of TNG) and these feels pretty new to me. (I never even saw the cover of a Star Trek novel, so all those talk about "Titans" canon sounds very strange to me lol)
Lt. Commander
# 103
05-16-2009, 07:31 PM
First of all, great supplemental log. As some people already said, I also really hope this is indicative of the storytelling and dialogs within the game.

Back to the current discussion:
SPOILER ALERT
With all the convenient things that happen to get the crew together, who's to say that destiny did not get a little help from the TIC.
On a more serious note, my take on the time cops problem, mentioned on many threads I've read, is this:
Whether this is an alternate reality to begin with (as a lot of us seem to think) or created when the Narada crossed (as the movie creators want us to believe), that event created a temporal stress point strong enough to cause a (yet another) alternate reality. If that is true then we are not talking about a normal temporal wake that the TIC's ship's shields would be unaffected by. Their quantum reality would be the same as the movie’s, so… they would not know what to change it back to. And on top of that they cannot because that is the event that caused their reality to exist. [Edit: I just realized you can still argue Vulcan’s destruction. But maybe after the Narada crossed it now belongs in this timeline. And if you cannot expunge it, you must allow it to continue whatever the consequences. … OK, I’m reaching here.]
Of course you can argue that there are other events in trek time travel history that could have more impact, but most of them got fixed “locally” (timewise) without intervention. You only need to bring the deux ex machina (see TIC) when things get really out of hand.
Why changing J.T.Kirk's history is that much more different than any other instance, I do not think needs a lot of explaining. [If any of you also watched B5 refer to the nexus theory.]

Finally, let's just admit they decided they needed to reboot and tried to do it in a way that they thought would keep most of us happy. I am... content.
Lt. Commander
# 104
05-16-2009, 09:00 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by jedidethfreak View Post
Paramount has already said that the movie events will be "fixed" by the end of the film story arc, so Cryptic can ignore any changes.
And where did you get this info?
Lt. Commander
# 105
05-16-2009, 09:04 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by DeRhamme View Post
And where did you get this info?
They didn't. They're making it up or they're mistaken or misunderstood.
Lt. Commander
# 106
05-16-2009, 11:01 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by naterag View Post
how come the history hasnt change. please cyptic follow the new movie stay ture to trek
Damn Trekkers!!! JJ Abrams should have stayed LOST!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rekhan
Commander Suran, once captain of the warbird Soterus, now lives as a gentleman farmer on the planet Talvath. Talvath has recently petitioned for Federation protection, which is what brings me here to interview him. He is the highest ranking military officer on the planet, and has indeed become something of an elder statesman. His intimate knowledge of Romulan politics, and involvement within definitive political events dating back to the conflict with Praetor Shinzon, makes him an even more important source of information. He smiles at me, offering me a glass of water as we sit on the porch of his sprawling ranch.

Link to the news article.
Rekhan, hope you read my post on the other string, where i stated Donatra will return.
Oh yes Unbelieveres, Donatra has set her self up for it allNew Homeworld, all the planet with food, relocation of Remans, Hold the most of the Romulan empire military forces.
Lt. Commander
# 107
05-16-2009, 11:15 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by J.L.Picard View Post
All fine and dandy, but it's time to forget the Romulans, One of the problems with Star Trek is that they cant seem to let the big players just die, by this i mean in the greater scope of things.

I ust hope the people writing this dont bring back the Romulans for the sake of the game, they happen to be my second favourite faction after the Federation but bringing them ack for the sae of it is just a bad idea.
Hmm, and I was about to say that I hope they don't kill off the Romulans/Vulcans just for the sake of it. Oh wait, oops....

Like other people have said, would you be so blase if it was the Federation that underwent a crippling cataclysm? Or even the Klingons, who are more recognizable as the main enemy. That'd sure change STO. Don't be so quick to dismiss one of the most influential and well-developed races in the entire series. If nothing else, that was the real issue I had with the new movie. It might have been a pretty good story (or if you ask the rabid fans on any movie rating site, fantastic!), but it seemed they were too easily willing to just throw away established and favorite parts of the fans of Trek just to get it to move on.
Even Cryptic knows this. Sure, they're making the focus on Federation vs. Klingon, but they're not stupid enough to leave it at that. They've all but confirmed that both Romulans and Cardassians are coming out in expansions, as those make up the big 4 races in Trek. It's hard to just toss them casually away.
Lt. Commander
# 108
05-16-2009, 11:42 PM
The Romulan Star Empire exist still Unbelievers!!

Path to 2409: 2381

"With the blockade of Remus and upheaval at home, Praetor Tal’aura has insufficient forces to stop Commander Donatra, who rallies the breakaway military forces under her command to conquer several agricultural worlds in Romulan space. With these planets under her control, Donatra declares herself the first empress of the Imperial Romulan State and establishes a capitol on Archenar Prime. Tal’aura vows to retake the territory by any means necessary"

So a new homeworld is already been selected with a new Capitol. Is this a Planet or a continent on Romulas? As this paragrapgh hints at worlds, I say it a planet.
So with Romulas destroyed, Donatra forces hold the food, which in a crisis like this gives just about ruling power.

Path to 2409: 2383

"On Stardate 60900.31, Fleet Commander Tomalak attacks Donatra’s fleet at Xanitla. Tomalak’s forces are soundly defeated in the battle, and he is dealt a further blow when Admiral Taris and the twelve ships under her command defect to the Imperial side. "

So Donatra forces hold and her fleets grows bigger. In 2384 Talaura knows she out gunned.

Path to 2409: 2384
"Donatra denies having anything to do with the murder. “I face my enemies on the field of battle with honor,” the empress announces in an address to her citizens, “not with a knife in the dark.” She recalls Taris from Romulus and orders her to prepare to defend Imperial holdings. "

So we know this statement says Donatra new capitol is off Romulus. A new homeworld is already chosen in this case and the main power/fleet is still in power and control.

Path to 2409: 2385

"Federation experts fear a three-way struggle for control of Romulus, but instead Donatra meets with Sela and Rehaek on Romulus to find a peaceful solution. The three begrudgingly agree to put their personal disputes aside for the good of the Empire, and the worlds of the Imperial Romulan State are folded back into the Romulan Star Empire. Donatra holds onto the reins of power of the military, and keeps much of her forces safely off-world in case the peace does not hold."

as well

"Donatra, who most agree was the broker of this newfound peace, travels to Remus to meet General Xiomek of the Remans. She offers the Remans full citizenship in the empire and representation in the Romulan Senate in exchange for their support. While Sela opposes the plan, which she sees as rewarding the Remans for a violent uprising, Praetor Chulan will not go against Donatra’s military might.

The physical strength of the Remans, as well as their supplies of dilithium and heavy metals, adds to Donatra’s formidable military strength, and she re-opens shipyards and munitions plants closed since Shinzon’s revolt. And as resources flow back to Romulus from Remus and the worlds Donatra controlled, energy rationing and food lines become a thing of the past.
"

Still Donatra keeps a large portionof her power off Romulus and so she still has establish a new Homeworld.
She also become more popular as she distribute food to colonies so her power and influence grows.
With the Remans, she asure her power and her shipyards and growth of her fleet, conside that she, a romulan would focus on her shipyards she controls would boost them to maximun effeicncy.
We can see a whole new line and fleet of ships not seen before, so we say by 2388/89 new Romulan Warbirds no later then 2390.
remans who are expertat ship building, I can see Donatra relocating allot of them to shipyards she controls, thus a bigger populaion of Remans off renus, though reluctantly.

Path to 2409: 2386

"Ambassador Spock reports that the Romulan Mining Guild has finished a multi-year study of Remus and has presented its findings to the Romulan Senate. The guild reports that the planet has been seriously overmined, and recommends that to avoid a Praxis situation that the Reman operations should be shut down and mining operations should be moved to more distant areas of space. The guild spreads their operations across the Empire, settling hundreds of miners and their families on space stations and colonies light years away from Romulus."

Nowhere we can consider that allot of Remans were relocated thru out the Empire. Nd it does happen,but guess who suggest such? After a relocation plan to Romulus is rejected?

"With the backing of Donatra, Rehaek and Praetor Chulan, an alternative plan is reached. The Remans are instead offered the planet of Crateris, in the distant Gamma Crateris system. The site of a failed Romulan colony, the planet has a harsh climate and is beset by almost constant electrical storms but is rich in dilithium, decalithium and heavy metals. Xiomek agrees, because even the harsh climate of Crateris is a significant improvement over Remus. Thousands of Remans board colony ships and make the move to their new home. "

AS Sneaky as a Romulan can be, who like to bet that Donatra forces control the Gamma Crateris system?
With Sela now outcasted, guess who take on the whole of Romulan fleet? Has the food, and possibly control the Mining the Remans do?

Path to 2409: 2387

"After arriving on Crateris, Donatra and Xiomek spend several hours in a private meeting, where it is believed that Xiomek gives Donatra information about possible rogue elements within the Romulan military and government. Donatra decides to return to Romulus earlier than planned, and invites Xiomek to take passage on her ship, the IRW Valdore, so he can be in Ki Baratan for the next meeting of the Romulan Senate.

On the way back to Romulus, Donatra contacts Admiral Taris, who is in the Levaeri system, and orders her to return to Romulus. The message is recorded by Romulan military communications relay stations, but Taris does not change course. A later review finds that there is no evidence of the message in the computer banks of Taris's ship, and that the communications officer who would have been on duty during that time cannot be found. "

This would lead me to believe that Donatra has something planed and soon it be hatched. She does not have control of Romulus, But she weild a huge power base with the fleet and Remans.

"On Stardate 64444.5, the IRW Valdore reports unusual stellar activity, including a disturbance equivalent to a force seven ion storm. Romulus loses contact with Donatra's ship, and dispatches four D'deridex class warbirds to search for the Valdore. "

So she disappears before it goes supernova, however does Admiral Taris a threat? Taris sought the Sword so that may be a shift of power.

"Twenty-seven hours later, the Hobus star goes supernova. The resulting chain reaction destroys Romulus and Remus. Billions of Romulans are killed. "

as well

"Intercepted Romulan transmissions indicate that Praetor Chulan and the leaders of the Senate escaped Romulus before the planet's destruction. But the USS Nobel, en route to Romulus, find the bodies of Chulan and the Senate's ruling council floating in space near their derelict shuttle. "

Don't be surprise if Donatra appears again. With the rest or the important key points of the Romulan Star Empire under her control, she pretty much the one in Control.
Do not count the Romulans out just yet.
Lt. Commander
# 109
05-17-2009, 01:38 AM
Donatra will return and unite the empire to become the third playable faction.
Lt. Commander
# 110
05-17-2009, 10:24 AM
Awesome, these planets seeking Federation protection makes it seem more plausible for a Romulan Federation officer. Now when I player create one it wont seem so far fetched.