Lt. Commander
# 41
05-15-2009, 04:51 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Powerhelm View Post
Why was this guy already a gentleman farmer within (apparently) months of Romulus being destroyed? Didn't he care about rebuilding the empire or something?

This supplemental seems like it should have taken place in 2397 or 2407 not 2387.

Donatra just became the Empress in what? 2385?

Just seems like this supplmental jumped the gun a couple decades...anyone else get that feeling?
lol since when is 2385-2397 2 decades? Its only one
Lt. Commander
# 42
05-15-2009, 04:54 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by naterag View Post
how come the history hasnt change. please cyptic follow the new movie stay ture to trek
I believe those who jumped on this comment were wrong to do so.

One of the consistent threads in Star Trek has been time travel stories.

From TOS through Deep Space Nine ("Trials and Tribble-ations") and Voyager ("Future's End I & II" and "Relativity"), it was well-established that there is a primary timeline, and that changing events in the past changes the future.

TNG explored this in "Time's Arrow" and even more explicitly in "Cause and Effect".

The 29th-century computer hardware left behind in 1960s America in VOY:"Future's End I & II" was explicitly said to be the precursor to the computing technology leading to the United Federation of Planets as we knew it from TOS onward.

But by far one of the best Star Trek episodes was also one of the clearest on this subject that changing the past changes the future: TOS:"The City on the Edge of Forever". The Enterprise, her crew, and even the Federation are shown to be gone completely as a result of a change to the timeline in the past, which Kirk and Spock must travel into the past to prevent.

So by virtually all of canonical Star Trek, Nero's actions in the new Star Trek movie should have been propagated into the future of TOS, TNG, and so on. What happened in the movie should be the reality of Star Trek Online, according to how time travel has normally worked in canonical Star Trek.

naterag actually has the correct understanding of how changing the past normally works in Star Trek.

However, there are some problems with this. For one, the momentous changes made in the Star Trek universe from the Star Trek movie, had they been carried forward as usual, should have been the normal state of things in TOS, TNG, etc.... but they weren't. (This is the opposite of the usual "retconning" process, where something known in the "present" of the Star Trek universe to have happened in the past is explained as a product of time travel from the future to produce that effect.) The only way those changes would not be a part of the primary timeline is if Nero had been stopped (which he seems not to have been), or if they led to an alternate timeline.

In the movie, the characters are made to say explicitly that theirs is an alternate timeline. (Which I thought was completely ludicrous. If you're not going to make your story part of the "real" Star Trek universe, why use that universe at all? Dumb, IMO.) So yes, it does seem that the events of the movie haven't altered the primary timeline of the TOS+ era, and that effect is explained, even if artificially.

But it runs counter to most of established Star Trek, where changing the past usually changes the future.

So maybe we can cut naterag a little slack on this one?

--Flatfingers
Lt. Commander
# 43
05-15-2009, 05:04 PM
I think this was a good supp. to the storyline. Just my opinion but, what's to say Donatra didn't enter the Black hole opened by Spock as he and Nero did. It also maybe she went forward in time instead of reverse. Hey it's Trek..anything could happen.

I'm sure when all is written it will come together as it should.
Lt. Commander
# 44
05-15-2009, 05:06 PM
The supp does say Donatra disappeared around the time of the supernova event!...She went in it I bet.
Lt. Commander
# 45
05-15-2009, 05:10 PM
Ok, than we can say all the Path Line is STO "Canon" and it's relivance to an other Time line, books, movies doesn't matter, and all resistance is futile. IMO: Cryptic is mixing it all and adding/twisting what they need to make a game for us. (and as with most thing Trek, it get nit picked).
Lt. Commander
# 46
05-15-2009, 05:11 PM
Well there was a TNG episode(Prallels) that played with the theory of quantum realities.
That all infinite possible outcomes of events actually do happen in other quantum realities.
Considering that we have never seen timetravel happen in this particular way before as we did in the new movie(with a black hole created by red matter) one could theorize and speculate that they did not in fact go back into the past of the prime timelines reality, but in fact entered another quantum reality.

In the episode it showed that the differences between quantum realities could be vastly different such as the federation being completely overrun by the borg, or very subtle, such as the painting Worf got at his birthday was hanging on a different wall.

Edit: Robert Orci makes a reference to the episode.
http://trekmovie.com/2008/12/11/bob-...-real-science/
Lt. Commander
# 47
05-15-2009, 05:13 PM
Quote:
lol since when is 2385-2397 2 decades? Its only one
Wait what?

I was simply naming a couple random years to imply that this Supplemental's date doesn't fit at all with it's content...nice try though.
Lt. Commander
# 48
05-15-2009, 05:20 PM
the reason the guy saying 2 decades didnt fit was probably because the interview takes place when the game does but they are talking about the past.

as for the people trying to say that theres only the main universe and the mirror mirror universe, and that the changes nero put into place should be in the game are forgetting the episode where warf kept jumping from one time line to another trading places with other versions of himself. personaly i wouldnt mind seeing the timeline where the borg have taken over everything just to see if maybe they can be fought with the new technology starfleet has now.
Lt. Commander
# 49
05-15-2009, 05:27 PM
I Just loves these!!
Lt. Commander
# 50
05-15-2009, 06:03 PM
Very well written, kudos. One of the best so far.

As for the time travel discussion, all i'm going to say is: It's Star Trek, anything's possible. If it doesn't make sense, then I blame it on intervention by the temporal police guys.

Seriously though, different methods of time travel may result in different, well, results. So far I don't think a black hole has previously been used as a method of time travel. For all we know it may already lead to not only an alternate time but also an alternate reality (which are known to exist, such as with the mirror reality and Worf's little jaunt through the Multiverse), which means the 'Prime' one is left untouched.

As for those complaining about the story reflecting some of the books, it's already been mentioned by the devs that they're taking elements from all over and using them to create the story. Just because they appear to have a lot of elements similar to the Titan books, doesn't mean /everything/ has to come from there.