Lt. Commander
# 51
05-15-2009, 05:09 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Astrus View Post
Very well written, kudos. One of the best so far.

As for the time travel discussion, all i'm going to say is: It's Star Trek, anything's possible. If it doesn't make sense, then I blame it on intervention by the temporal police guys.

Seriously though, different methods of time travel may result in different, well, results. So far I don't think a black hole has previously been used as a method of time travel. For all we know it may already lead to not only an alternate time but also an alternate reality (which are known to exist, such as with the mirror reality and Worf's little jaunt through the Multiverse), which means the 'Prime' one is left untouched.

As for those complaining about the story reflecting some of the books, it's already been mentioned by the devs that they're taking elements from all over and using them to create the story. Just because they appear to have a lot of elements similar to the Titan books, doesn't mean /everything/ has to come from there.
It doesn't??? You sure about that? :p j/k

Yeah is Star Trek, but not as we know it (not my mom and dads, anyway)
Lt. Commander
# 52
05-15-2009, 05:17 PM
Has anyone considered the possibility that Donatra passed through the black hole, along with Nero and Spock? Therefore, she will perhaps eventually pop out in the 23rd century, maybe a move reserved for the Trek sequel.
Lt. Commander
# 53
05-15-2009, 05:25 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joshfr3 View Post
Has anyone considered the possibility that Donatra passed through the black hole, along with Nero and Spock? Therefore, she will perhaps eventually pop out in the 23rd century, maybe a move reserved for the Trek sequel.
It has been mentioned, and like others have said, anythings possible, so hold on to your breath until you turn green, pink skins.
Lt. Commander
# 54
05-15-2009, 05:25 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fvillha View Post
In the USS Titan Series Commander Donatra killed off Suran (and every indication on her part suggested he truely died) but I have not problem with Cryptic story making it into a ruse by her and Suran (as those two would have reason to always do best for the Empire, and faking Suran's Death wouldn't be beyond them)..
The Trek books are only a source of possible inspiration, they are not considered official or canonical.

Part of this is because (unlike Star Wars) only what you see on-screen in Star Trek is consider to be true or "hard" canon. The other consideration is that Cryptic and the novel publishers are not working together, and it's impossible for Cryptic to re-adapt their Trek game universe every single time the novel publishers decide to make a significant dramatic change to the universe.

Hope this helps,

KOS
Lt. Commander
# 55
05-15-2009, 05:28 PM
Great Read But what I really want to know is not where Donatra is but where is Sela if you read 2409-2386 or earlier cant rember which one but sela was last seen by klingons leaving the Nertrual Zone with a fleet of Warbirds for uncharted space.

What do you guys think
Lt. Commander
# 56
05-15-2009, 05:30 PM
Wanted to say thanks to Kestrel for another fine read. When are we going to see her first STO-based Trek novel? These fiction supplements are already better written than at least half the Trek novels I''ve read.

KOS
Lt. Commander
# 57
05-15-2009, 05:37 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Powerhelm View Post
Why was this guy already a gentleman farmer within (apparently) months of Romulus being destroyed? Didn't he care about rebuilding the empire or something?

This supplemental seems like it should have taken place in 2397 or 2407 not 2387.

Donatra just became the Empress in what? 2385?

Just seems like this supplmental jumped the gun a couple decades...anyone else get that feeling?
The title is meant to reflect that this fiction piece is a supplement to the official timeline release for 2387, not that the piece itself is set in 2387.

The titles are for organizational purposes -- signifying when the pieces are released, relative to one another.

All the title means here is that this new fiction was released after (and as a supplement to) the official report on the year 2387.

As a supplement, internally, it can be set "anywhen"; its only connection is that its contents grow out of (i.e. they supplement) the events reported on for 2387.

Hope this helps.

KOS
Lt. Commander
# 58
05-15-2009, 05:53 PM
The other supplemental logs all sound like they take place within months or during the events of the main Year article which is why to me this one feels out of place.

The interview with Annika Hansen doesn't sound like they're talking to her years or decades later, the interview with the gentleman from the Gila Incident talks about the "war" as if it has not long since started (the start of which is the incident about which he is being interviewed).

Like i said, the wording of this particular supplement doesn't feel right compared to the rest of them.

Sorta like how in the shows we had Captain's Log and Captains Log, Supplemental. The supplemental to Picards experience on X alien planet was logged within days or weeks of the experience not 20 years...
Lt. Commander
# 59
05-15-2009, 06:15 PM
I enjoyed the read and as I have not read any of the books in quite some time I'm not sure as to the level of "canon" this fiction actually holds. Though my question is more on the serie's use of temporal mechanics. In any of the shows, when dealing with matters of time, we see one of two distinct possibilities. One; you have a parallel universe in which everything is exactly the opposite. EG: the Terran empire has fallen and humanity is a collection of slaves and outcasts. Two; Any changes made by a person or persons from the present timeline to the past have a DIRECT impact on the their timeline in the future. EG: "Yesterdays Enterprise", voygers encounter with Brax "temporal cop" or any of the other many examples. I just want to know what we're using and how it affects things.

The series seems to jump from one mode to the next, simply to get the thing to work. Surprises are great but I'm sure we can all appreciate consistency. Look forward to your posts!
Lt. Commander
# 60
05-15-2009, 06:46 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Anichent View Post
Lets see how they explain this:

" 'All right' Donatra said, rising from behind her desk. Using her left hand, she made a show of preparing to open a comm channel.

With her right she threw the ihl-sen that she had placed inside her tunic cuff. Suran grasped and gurgled and immediately fell to kis knees. Donatra rose and strode confidently around the desk, then approached him. She saw that Suran had dropped his weapon. Even if he had managed to hold onto it, she;d have been in no real danger; she'd had the Valdore's security system deactivate it while he'd stil been standing on the bridge.

The matter was moot now, however; both of Suran's hands were presently clawing without effect at the wide verdant wound that her serrated throwing knife had created. The short blade was lodged quite snugly in the man's windpipe.

Suran pitched forward onto his face and lay unmoving in front of the desk. His blood spread out in a swiftly expanding pool, dyeing the carpet a rich , beryl-emerald green. " - Titan: The Red King, Page 284

Shortly after it goes on to talk about her a Braeg's love affair, so as we can see the Path series does seem to follow Titan well. But I'd like to see if Cryptic can find a good way to explain how Suran is still alive after that brutal scene.

I'm really not just looking for a reason to complain, I just want this to make sense to me.
Seeing as I started this I guess I will continue - blood transfusions?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flatfingers View Post
I believe those who jumped on this comment were wrong to do so.
I agree and disagree Flatfingers, although it is possible in the Trek-verse to travel back and alter your own time line all of these alterations were aquired through the manipulation f time in your galaxy, by the equation E=mc^2 they went 'fast' enough to travel back in time.

If you go through the event horizon of a black hole (emitting the correct frequency, and strength of energy) you would be (and true physics has theories on this as well - so both are theoretically possible) punched through all time and space with no ability to return, having no ability to return places you in another universe parallel to the current one so there is no way to return even if you 'corrected' anything you had done so it was, for lack of a better word, undone you would be unable to return. This is the only way to travel to another parallel universe, although trek has touched on that occurrence in other ways. Either way the chance is rare but because travelling through a black hole was a new one to Trek I would imagine they movies physicist would creat a realistic cause for the new event (and I think they did just that).

I do see how one could easily be concerned with the changes though because if you missed there line about an alternate reality, and didn't know the theories of Astrophysics regarding theoretical black-hole encounters it would appear that STO is off cannon.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Powerhelm View Post
The other supplemental logs all sound like they take place within months or during the events of the main Year article which is why to me this one feels out of place.

The interview with Annika Hansen doesn't sound like they're talking to her years or decades later, the interview with the gentleman from the Gila Incident talks about the "war" as if it has not long since started (the start of which is the incident about which he is being interviewed).

Like i said, the wording of this particular supplement doesn't feel right compared to the rest of them.

Sorta like how in the shows we had Captain's Log and Captains Log, Supplemental. The supplemental to Picards experience on X alien planet was logged within days or weeks of the experience not 20 years...
True, but because it was recorded within a few days doesn't mean it can't be recorded within a few years - it is normally done quicker because humans tend to forget details quickly,captains supplemental logs would be done quickly and maybe an historians supplemental logs would be done 50 years late on return to a specific subject matter. Because it hasn't been done doesn't mean it can't be done.

Zott