# 61
05-15-2009, 06:54 PM
Very good read. Thankyou.
Lt. Commander
# 62
05-15-2009, 07:06 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fvillha View Post
That or each of us Trekies are in our own universe and everyone else is in an alternate universe, and we ok with it, until they take our Ale, than all hell breaks loose.

I think its time for another Ask Cryptic regarding alot of where this story line could go, specially with the hint at the Secret Romulan Base "Vault" which implies an organization in the Empire that can/could change where the Empire goes after the destruction of Romulus (yeah don't forget Remus, too) .
Did Empress Donatra ship get thrown into the Delta Quadrant so we can have a Voyager like series with a Romulan Crew for a TV series ? (Figure she went through a Similar "Lost N Space" with Captain Riker and the USS Titan.

Lots of questions raised, along with my shields.
I agree.....Belive me, I love the movie. it was awesome! But it kind of throws the whole concept of time travel that I or we know of Star Trek out the window. To have Romulus, Remus destroyed in one time line and then Vulcan destroyded in a diffrent time but parrallel to the original is confussing as hell. I know they wanted a new start for Star Trek. I do to but it could of been done without this. Some way and some how, they are going to have to tie these two things together. How? Would be nice to see. But I doubt they would. Also, when did time travel split and make 2 different times traveling parrellel to each other??? Going on the origianal Star Trek, going back into time was to correct a wrong or going back by accident. When these things happened they never made 2 alternate times. Things were fix and time moved in the same place as before. To leave Romulus and Vulcan in ruins in 2 diffrent time periods is the most illogical thing I ever seen..........As I said before though...I loved the move!!!
Lt. Commander
# 63
05-15-2009, 07:35 PM
Just FYI..in a recent interview with J.J. Abrams and a CBS executive (Who currently own all Star Trek rights) It was said that both his prequel graphic comic "Countdown " and the new movie are canonical. If you read and watch both (between hand fulls of Popcorn) it's all explained. This was no Mirror episode it was events in the actual canon timeline.

Bottom line events happen. Nothing in the Universe real or fantasy are constant. As I stated before by the last update "2409" I'm sure it will all come together. This game isn't some "Pocket Books" publishing it was licensed to Cryptic (Atari) by CBS. All of us Trekkers yacking about it and speculating on events in our own point of view is wasted typing. I read the forums everyday and it's like reading a tabloid of teenagers second guessing. Cryptic has professionals to research and write material. They are doing a good job so far. Quit whinning and encourage more.

But it's just my opinion.
Lt. Commander
# 64
05-15-2009, 07:43 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Astrus View Post
As for the time travel discussion, all i'm going to say is: It's Star Trek, anything's possible. If it doesn't make sense, then I blame it on intervention by the temporal police guys.
Sure. I might say something similar to someone who seemed to be claiming that stuff in Star Trek "has to" work a particular way.

The point I was making (too long-windedly, as usual) was that most of the time travel stuff in Star Trek has worked the way that naterag seemed to think it should: actions in the past change the primary timeline.

Heck, in my list I forgot one of the biggies: "Yesterday's Enterprise," where something that shouldn't have happened in the past -- the unexpected departure of the Enterprise-C from a fight by being shifted into a future created a timeline that, according to Guinan, "shouldn't exist" -- needed to be changed to restore the primary timeline.

Somebody just watching the movie will probably think, "eh, alternate time-thingie, whatever." But many of us who grew up watching and enjoying all the Star Treks are likely, I think, to assume that changes to the past normally get reflected into the future unless someone goes back into the past to prevent those changes from ever happening. That's "normal" for Star Trek... and I'm guessing it's what naterag had in mind when he suggested that it was odd that what happened to the Star Trek universe in the movie wasn't reflected in this game. (As far as we know now, anyway.)

But the problem is that these changes can't really be reflected in the game, because the game is based on canonical Star Trek up through Star Trek: Nemesis, and certain things still exist in that Star Trek universe. As bizarre as it is (compared to how altering the timeline "normally" works in Star Trek) that STO's Star Trek universe includes certain things changed in the movie, it would be even more bizarre for the game -- which is supposedly based on canon -- to choose to ignore all of that canon, from ENT and TOS to VOY and the movies, which refers to those unchanged things.

See, this kind of thing is why Janeway was right to try to avoid anything to do with time travel. It just creates headaches. :p

--Flatfingers
Lt. Commander
# 65
05-15-2009, 07:46 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joshfr3 View Post
Has anyone considered the possibility that Donatra passed through the black hole, along with Nero and Spock? Therefore, she will perhaps eventually pop out in the 23rd century, maybe a move reserved for the Trek sequel.
Donatra disappeared in the Supernova, which occured before Spock used the Red Matter and them getting sucked into the past.
Lt. Commander
# 66
05-15-2009, 08:19 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flatfingers View Post
Sure. I might say something similar to someone who seemed to be claiming that stuff in Star Trek "has to" work a particular way.

The point I was making (too long-windedly, as usual) was that most of the time travel stuff in Star Trek has worked the way that naterag seemed to think it should: actions in the past change the primary timeline.

Heck, in my list I forgot one of the biggies: "Yesterday's Enterprise," where something that shouldn't have happened in the past -- the unexpected departure of the Enterprise-C from a fight by being shifted into a future created a timeline that, according to Guinan, "shouldn't exist" -- needed to be changed to restore the primary timeline.

Somebody just watching the movie will probably think, "eh, alternate time-thingie, whatever." But many of us who grew up watching and enjoying all the Star Treks are likely, I think, to assume that changes to the past normally get reflected into the future unless someone goes back into the past to prevent those changes from ever happening. That's "normal" for Star Trek... and I'm guessing it's what naterag had in mind when he suggested that it was odd that what happened to the Star Trek universe in the movie wasn't reflected in this game. (As far as we know now, anyway.)

But the problem is that these changes can't really be reflected in the game, because the game is based on canonical Star Trek up through Star Trek: Nemesis, and certain things still exist in that Star Trek universe. As bizarre as it is (compared to how altering the timeline "normally" works in Star Trek) that STO's Star Trek universe includes certain things changed in the movie, it would be even more bizarre for the game -- which is supposedly based on canon -- to choose to ignore all of that canon, from ENT and TOS to VOY and the movies, which refers to those unchanged things.

See, this kind of thing is why Janeway was right to try to avoid anything to do with time travel. It just creates headaches. :p

--Flatfingers

I agree with you totally. As added proof "Yesterday's Enterprise" was directly responsible for Tasha Yar going back with Enterprise-C, being captured (rather than dying from the sheliak sludge" and captured resulting in Sela...I believe that Sela is considered canon "not alternate universe as some have tried to imply of other events. Data's head was found in the past by Mark Twain forming a paradox. Mirror Spock was influenced by Kirk and changed Terrans from Oppressive Empire to Slaves. Many other examples are out there.

Watch all the shows and read the material..It is proven time and again the timeline can be changed in the "Canon timeline" from alternate universe events.
Lt. Commander
# 67
05-15-2009, 09:28 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rekhan
Commander Suran, once captain of the warbird Soterus, now lives as a gentleman farmer on the planet Talvath. Talvath has recently petitioned for Federation protection, which is what brings me here to interview him. He is the highest ranking military officer on the planet, and has indeed become something of an elder statesman. His intimate knowledge of Romulan politics, and involvement within definitive political events dating back to the conflict with Praetor Shinzon, makes him an even more important source of information. He smiles at me, offering me a glass of water as we sit on the porch of his sprawling ranch.

Link to the news article.
maybe donatra has met with the BIG E (onboard fed president and STARFLEET Adms.) at a classified conference with the Federation.(make a deal to rebuild the ROMULAN Empire while being a FED member.)

also, on the next generation picard was taken from a bar by the orions? they aimed a gun that appeared to kill picard but in reality activated a transporter that took picard. so anything is possible(suran, donatra lovers maybe, fled together also possible)
Lt. Commander
# 68
05-15-2009, 09:33 PM
Sounds like a quest mission in the works to find the missing princess!

Live Long and Prosper
Lt. Commander
# 69
05-15-2009, 09:40 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wardog00 View Post
I agree with you totally. As added proof "Yesterday's Enterprise" was directly responsible for Tasha Yar going back with Enterprise-C, being captured (rather than dying from the sheliak sludge" and captured resulting in Sela...I believe that Sela is considered canon "not alternate universe as some have tried to imply of other events. Data's head was found in the past by Mark Twain forming a paradox. Mirror Spock was influenced by Kirk and changed Terrans from Oppressive Empire to Slaves. Many other examples are out there.

Watch all the shows and read the material..It is proven time and again the timeline can be changed in the "Canon timeline" from alternate universe events.
I also agree, but as I mentioned all of these events are based of of Einstein's theory of relativity, if you go fast enough you can go back in time, whether this was done by using the sun to accelerate you through time like in TOS, a temporal disturbance (and event horizon like a wormhole but for time), or by altering matter (which would have many more repercussions than just time altering). Where as time and matter is altered in the event horizon of a black star, and no other star trek episode or movie has an individual entering a black star. If one goes through the formation of a black hole, before it has the chance to rip you into quarks you may be able to 'pass' through it but because it is a one way door where you end up would not be able to affect the timeline you came from.

Zott
Lt. Commander
# 70
05-15-2009, 10:50 PM
This may be my favorite entry thus far, if only for the nod to exaggerated rumors of death.