Lt. Commander
# 71
05-15-2009, 11:02 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fvillha View Post
Ok, than we can say all the Path Line is STO "Canon" and it's relivance to an other Time line, books, movies doesn't matter, and all resistance is futile. IMO: Cryptic is mixing it all and adding/twisting what they need to make a game for us. (and as with most thing Trek, it get nit picked).
No, we really can't. STO is not canon in any way, whatsoever, unless Paramount or CBS makes the call that it is.

What Cryptic is doing is taking source materials that they chose, like the novels and other sources, and choosing which elements out of them they want to use to make a game that's not officially affiliated with the rest of the Star Trek IP/franchise except in name. They never said that they would follow the books entirely, and they never even had to follow the books at all, especially since they're not canon. Cryptic is making their own game, and since it's not canon, they have generally free reign to make the story how they want. That the movies and shows are law and that the books will be used are guidelines that are set down by them, and only have meaning if they want to follow them. Hell, if they wanted to write as weird a story as the one for Legacy, they could, and it'd be hard to cry foul (sure, most of us wouldn't want to play anymore, but overall it's their prerogative. We just have to be thankful they're using the source material in this manner at all).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wardog00 View Post
Just FYI..in a recent interview with J.J. Abrams and a CBS executive (Who currently own all Star Trek rights) It was said that both his prequel graphic comic "Countdown " and the new movie are canonical. If you read and watch both (between hand fulls of Popcorn) it's all explained. This was no Mirror episode it was events in the actual canon timeline.

Bottom line events happen. Nothing in the Universe real or fantasy are constant. As I stated before by the last update "2409" I'm sure it will all come together. This game isn't some "Pocket Books" publishing it was licensed to Cryptic (Atari) by CBS. All of us Trekkers yacking about it and speculating on events in our own point of view is wasted typing. I read the forums everyday and it's like reading a tabloid of teenagers second guessing. Cryptic has professionals to research and write material. They are doing a good job so far. Quit whinning and encourage more.

But it's just my opinion.
Link or it didn't happen. While I won't deny that Trek XI is canonical by definition, I find it hard to believe that Countdown is technically canon, at least yet. At most, it'd make sense as an official tie-in, but not strict canon in and of itself.

Like I said above, the only rules Cryptic really has to follow are the ones it sets for itself. If they want to renege on any of those, that's totally up to them. And besides, they already stated that screen canon is the only thing that is strict law. Just because they've been using elements and themes from the books doesn't mean they have to use every detail. We've already seen them pick and choose, even in relation to the Countdown comics (Worf was supposed to die in them, but we didn't see any mention in the 2387 Path, where it does tie in to the Countdown). So they're trying to make a game following general guidelines, not slavish adherence to every contradictory detail.

So people, if you recognize an element from a book, remember that it's just a nod to that book and the general storyline that's progressed in the Pocket Novels since Nemesis, not an indication that they will use it as canon. At best, they're inspiration for the game, not a rule.

But, uh, Wardog, if all of the "yacking about it and speculating on events in our own point of view" is just "wasted typing", why bother posting on the forums in the first place, then? All we've got here are our own personal points of view, and so we talk about them to each other to reconcile them and try and speculate on what might come next. If that doesn't seem productive to you, I'm not really sure why you're bothering to take part in the discussion in the first place.
Lt. Commander
# 72
05-16-2009, 12:38 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rekhan
Commander Suran, once captain of the warbird Soterus, now lives as a gentleman farmer on the planet Talvath. Talvath has recently petitioned for Federation protection, which is what brings me here to interview him. He is the highest ranking military officer on the planet, and has indeed become something of an elder statesman. His intimate knowledge of Romulan politics, and involvement within definitive political events dating back to the conflict with Praetor Shinzon, makes him an even more important source of information. He smiles at me, offering me a glass of water as we sit on the porch of his sprawling ranch.

Link to the news article.
Im just wondering , if the romulan's are gonna be split into atleast two faction's : one part helping federation and the other work out some kind of deal with the klingon's esentially a internall cival war in the game . I didnt feel like reading through all the post's so sorry if I stepped on someone else's Idea.
Lt. Commander
# 73
05-16-2009, 01:34 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by naterag View Post
how come the history hasnt change. please cyptic follow the new movie stay ture to trek
if they did that then they would probably have to remake the entire game but im sure cryptic will use some aspects of the new film
Lt. Commander
# 74
05-16-2009, 01:53 AM
Quote:
how come the history hasnt change. please cyptic follow the new movie stay ture to trek
So, you want them to make a MMO based on one movie while ignoring 10 other movies and 5 TV series?

Please no.

If my favourite TV show, "Star Trek: Deep Space Nine" isn't in this game, I have little reason to play it. I might as well plat SWTOR, Jumpgate Evolution, or EVE Online.
Lt. Commander
# 75
05-16-2009, 02:28 AM
Great work.

Quote:
Bad idea. Really, really bad idea. Star Trek XI will pretty much eradicate everything except Enterprise. Now Star Trek XI has its own timeline where Vulcan is destroyed and we still have our prime universe where the Romulan empire is in ashes. That's more than enough destruction for me. If they kill off the Vulcans in the prime timeline and give us those butt-ugly gargantuan Constitutions or their descendants (Galaxy that dwarfs a Borg cube?) I have no intention of playing this game.

And please no whining that STO isn't true to the novels. There are so many crappy Star Trek novels out there that I certainly don't want to see anywhere in the game. A few are good, and I think Cryptic has the right approach. Take the good stuff and ignore the crap.
Lt. Commander
# 76
05-16-2009, 02:46 AM
And back on Topic. A good read nice to see the Romulan story line extended.
Lt. Commander
# 77
05-16-2009, 02:57 AM
I enjoyed reading it

Who knows what the future brings, perhaps the next movie is about the temporal integrity commission fixing everything

I hope they give an official explanation about the movies place someday so that there is no need to argue over this anymore.
Lt. Commander
# 78
05-16-2009, 04:08 AM
A very good read.
I can't wait for the next Path
Lt. Commander
# 79
05-16-2009, 04:40 AM
You all just should accept that our Vulcan cousins are the best scientists there are, and actually were first to enter 6th dimension (in our known space). all they needed was red matter and a supernova. watch this to get a picture which dimansion i mean. Ok it was a side effect ...
Lt. Commander
# 80
05-16-2009, 06:23 AM
cool. this is going to be fun.