Lt. Commander
ive been playing the game for...almost a year,and i never had any problems.never!

this is the first time that this is happening.

i double click on the launcher icon and i get the message:

cryptic launcher autoupdate:"trying to update launcher plaese be patient"

all looks normal nad after a few seconds i get this message with a windows warning-failure sound:

"a file was locked that could not be open for writing"

so can anyone please tell me what to do?

EDIT: this is what i found in the game folder in a document called errors...

110125 03:01:25 1 [1] ESC : The patchclientlib is internally recording error code : 36\nA file was locked that could not be open for writing. - Could not rename file that could not be overwritten (C:/Users/Public/Games/Cryptic Studios/Star Trek Online.exe)
110125 03:01:25 2 [1] ESC : The patchclientlib is returning error code : 36\nA file was locked that could not be open for writing.
110125 03:01:25 3 [1]: Launcher PCL Error A file was locked that could not be open for writing.
110125 03:01:28 4 [1]: devassert: pThreadStruct
110125 03:01:47 1 [1] ESC : The patchclientlib is internally recording error code : 36\nA file was locked that could not be open for writing. - Could not rename file that could not be overwritten (C:/Users/Public/Games/Cryptic Studios/Star Trek Online.exe)
110125 03:01:47 2 [1] ESC : The patchclientlib is returning error code : 36\nA file was locked that could not be open for writing.
110125 03:01:47 3 [1]: Launcher PCL Error A file was locked that could not be open for writing.
110125 03:05:43 1 [1] ESC : The patchclientlib is internally recording error code : 36\nA file was locked that could not be open for writing. - Could not rename file that could not be overwritten (C:/Users/Public/Games/Cryptic Studios/Star Trek Online.exe)
110125 03:05:43 2 [1] ESC : The patchclientlib is returning error code : 36\nA file was locked that could not be open for writing.
110125 03:05:43 3 [1]: Launcher PCL Error A file was locked that could not be open for writing.
110125 03:17:41 1 [1] ESC : The patchclientlib is internally recording error code : 36\nA file was locked that could not be open for writing. - Could not rename file that could not be overwritten (C:/Users/Public/Games/Cryptic Studios/Star Trek Online.exe)
110125 03:17:41 2 [1] ESC : The patchclientlib is returning error code : 36\nA file was locked that could not be open for writing.
110125 03:17:41 3 [1]: Launcher PCL Error A file was locked that could not be open for writing.
110125 03:17:43 4 [1]: devassert: pThreadStruct
Lt. Commander
# 2
01-24-2011, 07:44 PM
First thing is to be sure both startrekonline.exe and the gameclient.exe have thier properties set to run as admin (based on error assuming you are using win 7 or vista)

some antivirus programs will exclusivly lock a file as part of thier protection. besure the entire folder is exclude from the antivirus scanning.
Lt. Commander
# 3
01-24-2011, 08:36 PM
yes i have windows 7...32 bit

i did what you said.restarted and still nothing.can you rpopose anything else?i hate to reinstall.is there any way to avoid it?

i have never done these before.and i have never had this problem.although i just bought a newer version of my antivirus.thats the only different thing in my pc.but i did it a few days ago and i played the game 10 hours ago.i'll wait to see if there are any other solutions and then im gonna reinstall.

thanks anyway...oh wait!is there a way to replace the star trek online exe so that then the client would start?
i also checked my antivirus and there is nothing in the reports to suggest that the startrekonline exe was altered or quarantined in any way.
Lt. Commander
# 4 Same problem
01-25-2011, 09:41 AM
I am having the smae problem and tech support won't budge on (it's a premission error at my end.) even though i been playing STO since the beta started with no problems and i upgraded my anti v twice with a programme i trust. Now i just can't play the game. I just don't know what to do.
Lt. Commander
# 5
01-25-2011, 09:58 AM
It restarts the PC in way tries mistakes with connection there is network and the launcher updates, then you return it is necessary to restart in normally and executes the game, has it my me works.

Luck.

Reinicia el pc en modo prueba de errores con conexión ha red y actualiza el lanzador, luego vuelves ha reinciar en normal y ejecuta el juego, ha mi me funciona.

Suerte.
Lt. Commander
# 6
01-25-2011, 11:10 AM
Girfud i cant understand what youre trying to say.

i uninstalled and reinstalled the game multiple times.the problem is persistent.

i have concluded that the cause is my antivirus software.i used the panda antivirus for 2009,and 2010 and i have never had this issue.now with the 2011 edition this problem appeared.

i guess cryptic can not be responsible in any way ...my problem is that the panda security company has very poor support.i googled only to find lots of other mmo gamers having similar issues with this antivirus.

if anyone has any good ideas im open to suggestions!

anyway my advise is to never purchase any panda security products.it appears they dont support their software.
Lt. Commander
# 7 Same product
01-25-2011, 11:22 AM
I have also Panda Global Protection 2011 time to look for a more frendly MMORPG Protection system by the look of it. Although i really taken back because like you i have had no problem with 2009-10.
Lt. Commander
# 8
01-25-2011, 05:50 PM
im waiting now cause the game is patching for a whole years account...omg...

when the game is ready i'll see what happens.i reinstalled the antivirus.hopefully it wont cause any problems.at least not for a while....guess everytime that happens again i will have to simply unistall and the reinstall the antivirus.

i'll report in later with my findings!i would hate to pay for another antivirus.hope this will work.
Lt. Commander
# 9
01-26-2011, 08:55 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thanos_Orange
Girfud i cant understand what youre trying to say.

i uninstalled and reinstalled the game multiple times.the problem is persistent.

i have concluded that the cause is my antivirus software.i used the panda antivirus for 2009,and 2010 and i have never had this issue.now with the 2011 edition this problem appeared.

i guess cryptic can not be responsible in any way ...my problem is that the panda security company has very poor support.i googled only to find lots of other mmo gamers having similar issues with this antivirus.

if anyone has any good ideas im open to suggestions!

anyway my advise is to never purchase any panda security products.it appears they dont support their software.
Sorry for the English. I'm Spanish.

I have also Panda 2011, you have to update the game launcher windows via Safe restart the computer and press F8 during boot and select Safe Mode with Networking. Run the game and should be updated, then come back and run it has restarted normally.
There was a link to the forum and if I find I put it. http://forums.startrekonline.com/sho...d.php?t=191208

A greeting.

Perdón por el ingles. Soy Español.

Yo también tengo Panda 2011, tienes que actualizar el lanzador del juego a través de windows a prueba de errores, reinicia el pc y durante el arranque presiona F8 y selecciona modo a prueba de errores con conexión a red. Ejecuta el juego y debería actualizarse, luego vuelves ha reiniciar y lo ejecutas normalmente.
Había un link por el foro y si lo encuentro lo pongo.

Un saludo.
Lt. Commander
# 10
01-26-2011, 10:28 AM
ok guys i simply uninstalled the antivirus and reinstalled it and that did the job!

of course before reinstalling the antivirus i first did the steps that pegasusmd proposed.

now everything works fine!

i'll leave you with a nice song from one of the cutest trekkies/trekkers on earth...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ryo-G...&feature=feedf