Go Back   Star Trek Online > Support > Graphical and Sound Issues
Login

Lt. Commander
It's that time again. I need a new video card, so I've been doing my research and looking around. I want to get something that will make this game "explode" visually while not disturbing the dust in my wallet. So I have to choose between the Radeon HD or the GeForce GTS? I found a card that looks very interesting, it's the XFX HD-577A-ZNFC Radeon HD 5770 (Juniper XT) 1GB 128-bit GDDR5 PCI Express 2.0 x16 HDCP Ready CrossFireX card (http://xfxforce.com/en-us/products/g...ries/5770.aspx).

The customer reviews are mostly positive for it, but again it's best to ask people who may be using similiar cards what they think. So, lets see some input please people.

My specs are:
Gigabyte GA-890GPA-UD3H motherboard
AMD Phenom II X4 965 CPU (3.40 GHz)
8GB RAM
Windows 7 64-bit operating system.

I would like to get a card with a SPDIF connector on the inside so I can connect it to my motherboard and use the HDMI cable for both audio and video

Any info that you can give me is greatly appreciated.

So let the debates begin, should I go with the Radeon HD or the GeForce GTS?

Thank you everyone for your help.

Khan: Fire. Fire
Joachim: We can't fire sir.
Khan: Why can't you.
Joachim: They've damaged the photon controls and the warp drive. We must withdraw.
Khan: No! No!
Joachim: Sir we must. Enterprise will wait. She's not going anywhere.
Lt. Commander
# 2
01-25-2011, 01:10 AM
ATI cards have problems with Anti-Aliasing and Dynamic Lighting in Star Trek Online. As such I always recommend an Nvidia graphics card.

Not saying ATI cards don't work, but if you aren't skilled with computers then you really should save yourself a boat-load of trouble and just go with an Nvidia.
Lt. Commander
# 3
01-25-2011, 06:59 AM
Try something like the Nvidia GeForce GTS 450

It's cheaper and more powerful than the ATI Radeon HD 5770.
Lt. Commander
# 4
01-25-2011, 12:02 PM
The GTS 450 isn't bad, but given you probably want good performance that lasts a while, I'd blow an extra $50 and get an Nvidia GTX 460 myself. The X60 series on any Nvidia product line of late is usually the best 'bang for the buck'. But, YMMV.
Lt. Commander
# 5
01-25-2011, 01:33 PM
460GTX gets my vote, it may cost more but the 5770 is older tech. STO does have some issue's with ATI cards.

At the end of the day its down to cost and what your upgrading from ?

A old review with ATI v GeForce

http://www.tomshardware.co.uk/star-t...iew-31813.html

Use below to compare card vs card

http://www.tomshardware.com/charts/2...marks,114.html

http://www.anandtech.com/show/4135/n...the-250-market

Don't forget to make sure you PSU can handle a new card

There are many review sites, just like many different games you may wish to play STO is just one.
Lt. Commander
# 6
01-25-2011, 02:27 PM
I roll with the Nvidia 460 and like it. I have always hated ATI drivers.
Lt. Commander
# 7
01-27-2011, 09:50 AM
The Gtx 460 is the best bang for buck card atm for an entry build, for an enthusiast go Gtx 480 and for high performance go Gtx 580, but ye all comes down to budget and avaliabilty, best 3rd party manufacturers of these cards is Evega and MSI. and if you need to upgrade the power supply go for a corsair brand 650W that will give plenty of power untill you want to start running sli.
Lt. Commander
# 8
01-27-2011, 08:14 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Q_ELDER_ROGUE_UK
460GTX gets my vote, it may cost more but the 5770 is older tech. STO does have some issue's with ATI cards.

At the end of the day its down to cost and what your upgrading from ?
I am upgrading from an NVIDIA GeForce 9500 GT 1GB 128-bit GDDR2 PCI Express 2.0 x16 HDCP Ready Video Card, so I am due for a new one. I've been looking at the MSI N460GTX CYCLONE 1GD5/OC GeForce GTX 460 (Fermi) 1GB 256-bit GDDR5 PCI Express 2.0 x16 HDCP Ready SLI Support Video Card or the MSI N460GTX Cyclone 768D5/OC GeForce GTX 460 (Fermi) 768MB 192-bit GDDR5 PCI Express 2.0 x16 HDCP Ready SLI Support Video Card. I know the first is better, so I just might get that one. I've earned it I think, so might as well.

Oh by the way Q_ELDER_ROGUE_UK, do you really have 38 character slots?

Kirk: Khan you blood sucker, you're gonna have to do your own dirty work now. Do you hear me. Do you?
Khan: Kirk. Kirk, you're still alive my old friend.
Kirk: Still old friend. You've managed to kill just about everyone else but like a poor marksmen you keep missing the target.
Khan: Perhaps I no longer need to try Admiral.
Lt. Commander
# 9
01-27-2011, 10:52 PM
If you're upgrading from a GeFource 9500 GT to the current Main Stream Video card, you better make sure first that you have the Power supply to handle it... A GOOD 600 Watt power supply is what is recommended with these things... (And Nvidia Cards are known as room heaters when compared to ATI cards...)
Lt. Commander
# 10
01-28-2011, 07:34 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grouchy.Otaku
If you're upgrading from a GeFource 9500 GT to the current Main Stream Video card, you better make sure first that you have the Power supply to handle it... A GOOD 600 Watt power supply is what is recommended with these things... (And Nvidia Cards are known as room heaters when compared to ATI cards...)
I have a COOLER MASTER Silent Pro M600 RS-600-AMBA-D3 600W ATX12V Power Supply which comes with two 6+2 pin PCI-e connectors, so I'm all set up for that. I planned ahead when I first did my main upgrade last year. The only thing I did not purchase was a video card, I had to put away for one. So now I am ready to get myself up and running to maximum capacity (that I can afford).

Peregrine_Falcon, I've been able to deal with annoying drivers since DOS (wow its been a long time). As a wise man once said, "It is always good to get other opinions". I'm actually setting up a Windows 98SE system so I can play all my "oldies but goodies" games like TIE Fighter, X-Wing vs TIE Fighter, Doom, Quake, ******** (1), and so on. I can't wait until that's done. I even still have my Microsoft Sidewinder joystick.

Thank you all for the input. I greatly appreciate it.

McCoy: Lieutenant, you are looking at the only starfleet cadet who ever beat the no-win scenario.
Saavik: How?
Kirk: I reprogrammed the simulation so it was possible to rescue the ship.
Saavik: What?
David: He cheated.
Kirk: Changed the conditions of the test. Got a commendation for original thinking. I don't like to lose.