Lt. Commander
hey guys,

I'm working on a fun little mission called Shore Leave with Sori. It is almost done, but I need a little help. Here is where I am having trouble. I need two songs that would be considered timeless or classic in the 24th century. The songs will be used in a group karoke (1) and sing-a-long (2) type scenarios. I was thinking of maybe "Row, Row, Row Your Boat" for the sing-a-long portion as an homage to ( Star Trek V - The Final Frontier ). But, even so ... I have no clue what to select for the karoke part of the evening. What do you guys think? Got any ideas for either song?
Lt. Commander
# 2
01-24-2011, 10:27 PM
Frank Sinatra, or something else jazzy or Classical. Don't pick anything made after the 90's, and anything you pick 90's or earlier should still get a lot of air play even now.

or for S&Gs go with "Never gonna give you up"
Lt. Commander
# 3
01-25-2011, 11:30 AM
any other suggestions
Lt. Commander
# 4
01-25-2011, 11:43 AM
Don't do anything from the last 30 years. The 24th century, 300 years from now, should not have an entire sampling from this 10%.

Some of the "music of the future" from Bill and Ted's Bogus Journey would be fun to work in.... :p
Lt. Commander
# 5
01-25-2011, 01:16 PM
Duran Duran's 'Planet Earth'

Afterall, they were the band everyone danced to when the bombs fell..
Lt. Commander
# 6
01-25-2011, 08:10 PM
What's with all the hatred of the music in the past ten, twenty years?

Have any of you actually taken an objective listen to anything?

Just because the tune isn't scraped out on a violin or classical instrument doesn't automatically disqualify its impact on music history.

Look at Soundgarden (later, Audioslave), they were the first American band to play in Cuba after relations broke down.

Look at the Grunge revolution in the late 80's, early 90's, it defined the sound of at least two genres of music and saw to one of the most controversial murder cases in recent history (Kurt Cobain)

As stupid a joke as it is, look how potent "Never Gunna Give You Up" ended up.

If it must be classical, at least make it something that won't churn the stomach of others.

Narrowing oneself to classic, contemporary and archaic music is foolish, as is limiting ones scope to only modern. Don't underestimate modern music, and I promise I won't make fun of powdered wigs.
Lt. Commander
# 7
01-25-2011, 11:07 PM
I have nothing against "Never Gonna Give you up" In fact it's one of my favorite songs, I just can't really picture picard or even Kirk listening to hip hop
Lt. Commander
# 8
01-28-2011, 09:09 AM
On a serious note (see what I did there) you can try Fly Me to the Moon. It was done in 1954 before Star Trek was released, so would assuredly exist in Star Trek canon. Also bonus points for having a somewhat spacey theme.

In 2010, 49 major artists have remade the song in whole or part including Frank Sinatra, Nat King Cole, Doris Day, ABBA, Tony Bennett, Utada Kikaru, and Rod Stewart. I count at least six languages the song has been done in (English, German, Spanish, Korean, Japanese, and Chinese). It has appeared in movies, video games, and TV shows including Neon Genesis Evangelion, Space Cowboys, and Oliver Stone's Wall Street.

So this would be a good 'timeless' song for Star Trek.
Lt. Commander
# 9
01-28-2011, 09:12 AM
Lt. Commander
# 10
01-28-2011, 11:13 AM
I would tend to say that Fly Me To The Moon would be a good choice. If you notice in trek, especially since DS9, 20th century crooners are seen as classic musical entertainment. Go for some sinatra and I think you will be fine. Any other pop music or anything since the last 40 years would not fit trek in my opinion. Go for classy.