Lt. Commander
Wll the new Star Trek MMO, "Star Trek Infinite Space" have an impact on STO? Knowing that it is a "browser-based game," I heard it probably won't come up to par with STO. But when I saw a few gameplay videos of it and concept art, it looked pretty impressive. I also heard ot was going to be free to play, and it will take place during the time of DS9. Personally, I'm still a pretty big fan to Star Trek Online, and l'm amazed at how STO has improved in only a year. This year, it looks like there will be some more competition along the way, so good luck. Feel free to share your own comments and opinions.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UQWlH...eature=related

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3c2Uz...eature=related
Lt. Commander
# 2
01-25-2011, 03:49 PM
Quote:
a few gameplay videos of it and concept art
And so far, that's all you've seen. Ever seen the trailer for a movie? They always make it look as good as possible. Sometimes the trailer has the only good scenes in the movie, and the rest of the movie is just boring.

The saying "Don't judge a book by it's cover" (or the Talaxian version, "don't judge a fruit by it's skin") come to mind. Wait until you see the final product, because what we're seeing now are just samples. They aren't necessarily accurate for what the actual game will be like.
Lt. Commander
# 3
01-25-2011, 03:50 PM
See this thread for a discussion on this subject:

http://forums.startrekonline.com/sho...d.php?t=198403
Lt. Commander
# 4
01-25-2011, 04:12 PM
All Star Trek Infinite Space is a free PvP game so your going to be going from one fight to the next.
Lt. Commander
# 5
01-25-2011, 05:07 PM
It looks like the gameplay is similar to Conquest but likely with much more depth (one would hope). Conquest had decent gameplay but absolutely no depth.
Lt. Commander
# 6
01-25-2011, 05:09 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cuatela
The saying "Don't judge a book by it's cover" (or the Talaxian version, "don't judge a fruit by it's skin") come to mind. Wait until you see the final product, because what we're seeing now are just samples. They aren't necessarily accurate for what the actual game will be like.
Or the infamous term from the game industry itself: 'bullshot.' =)
Lt. Commander
# 7
01-25-2011, 05:12 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by V-Mink
Or the infamous term from the game industry itself: 'bullshot.' =)
I swear, I gotta remember that one.

In that vein, I reserve judgement until I see final results.

All Ill say for sure is that I hope the presence of competition, however good or bad, spurs our dear devs on to even greater feats.
Lt. Commander
# 8
01-25-2011, 05:16 PM
I like it....a lot.

I'd trade my lifetime sub from this game for that one....(based on that marketing vid).
Lt. Commander
# 9
01-25-2011, 05:16 PM
Based upon maybe 10 seconds of actual gameplay footage in the first video (second video was a trailer and NOT GAMEPLAY), I do not see anything that would be of interest or new. The fact that it is a "browser based" game also has me a bit concerned. I have yet to see a good browser based game. Perhaps this one might change that opinion but again, 10 seconds of video of gameplay doesn't show much.
Lt. Commander
# 10
01-25-2011, 05:20 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gruug View Post
Based upon maybe 10 seconds of actual gameplay footage in the first video (second video was a trailer and NOT GAMEPLAY), I do not see anything that would be of interest or new. The fact that it is a "browser based" game also has me a bit concerned. I have yet to see a good browser based game. Perhaps this one might change that opinion but again, 10 seconds of video of gameplay doesn't show much.
Kind of sad that they were able to create accurate looking ship interiors and we still dont have them yet though.