Lt. Commander
# 11
01-25-2011, 04:26 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by The.Grand.Nagus View Post
Kind of sad that they were able to create accurate looking ship interiors and we still dont have them yet though.
Add to the above, the Galaxy class firing phasers from the actual phaser array! with the right sounds!

It's delighful!

EDIT:

And battle damage that looks like real battle damage!
Lt. Commander
# 12
01-25-2011, 04:36 PM
Quote:
Kind of sad that they were able to create accurate looking ship interiors and we still dont have them yet though.
Even then, they don't show but about 10 seconds or so of one room. I would not base anything on just that short viewing.
Lt. Commander
# 13
01-25-2011, 04:39 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by AZSteel
Add to the above, the Galaxy class firing phasers from the actual phaser array! with the right sounds!

It's delighful!

EDIT:

And battle damage that looks like real battle damage!
I think you are looking at the wrong video or confusing the trailer video with gameplay video...which it is not. In the 10 to 12 seconds of space battle, you really don't see much. Weapons fire does not really appear to come from anywhere but the center of the ship. And in that same vid, you get an overlay representing damage similar to STO.
Lt. Commander
# 14
01-25-2011, 04:40 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gruug View Post
Even then, they don't show but about 10 seconds or so of one room. I would not base anything on just that short viewing.
Still if a browser based game can do that(presumably) then should not STO be able to do so much more?

P.S. I am not saying that STO does not do more, but there are some areas where STO is sorely lacking; authentic Star Trek interiors is one of them.
Lt. Commander
# 15
01-25-2011, 04:44 PM
Hmm.

Time will tell. I think that, if nothing else, depending on how good this browser-based game is, if it's really going to be New Hotness, it's going to light a fire under Atari to get more money to Cryptic to improve art assets. As someone said, STIW becoming some sort of fire lit under Cryptic depends in large part if it's actually hotter, visually, than STO is now.

Mind you, I think most of the art assets in STO are really good. The bugaboos that are coming out of this thread appear to be the ship interiors, and the weapons-fire origin points on the ship models. (AUGH! I'm sick of little red dots!) So if STIW can do it better, maybe someone in Atari will realize how silly it is that this is the case, and will send some additional funding to Cryptic, so Cryptic can hire someone or two people to fix these issues. (Because I'm not quite sure it's worth delaying new episoides or stuff for these two items. Finite resource allocation is a pain, especially when you can't just take on an intern or hire someone for a couple of weeks to solve a problem.)

But... I'm not holding my breath.
Lt. Commander
# 16
01-25-2011, 04:49 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Presbytier View Post
P.S. I am not saying that STO does not do more, but there are some areas where STO is sorely lacking; authentic Star Trek interiors is one of them.
I agree in a sense....

I think the bridges (like most of STO) are artistically solid, but speaking in terms of:
  • Scale
  • LCARS
  • Scale
  • Choice of corridor style (lack of)
  • and SCALE

They're sorely lacking.
Lt. Commander
# 17
01-25-2011, 04:51 PM
I dont get why people feel the need to bash this game. Personally, I plan to play both. Its free, so what do I have to lose if its not the best game ever? Its a win win.
Lt. Commander
# 18
01-25-2011, 05:27 PM
Quote:
I dont get why people feel the need to bash this game. Personally, I plan to play both. Its free, so what do I have to lose if its not the best game ever? Its a win win.
I'll play a week before I decide if the game good or bad
Lt. Commander
# 19
01-25-2011, 05:38 PM
Right off the bat impressions that I like:

-ONE era! DS9 era. No ENT, no TOS, no 25th century So we have all the ships of DS9 era, and all the uniforms of that era, that's it!!! Finally some uniformity!

-NO Flippen asteroids in EVERY system!

-Ships look amazing! And so do interiors! (and have a feeling the interiors are actually scaled right, useable, and have a purpose!)

I will play both. I am still getting the life time sub here next week for STO (as I truely believe in Dan and his team to get this game where it needs to be). Maybe they will even learn a thing or two from them! (and visaversa)
Lt. Commander
# 20
01-25-2011, 05:48 PM
i'm surprised there hasn't been more doom and gloom threads of people claiming everyone in STO will run to this game and STO is finished.

Its really a statement of how far STO has come in a year that this is no longer the case. I think STIS really will be judged off STO rather then the other way around. STIS make have learned from STO's mess at launch and will amaze us, but if it comes out and is anything like what STO's launch was or its features are limited, then STO will have that leg up. Whos going to want to join another game where your going to have to wait for updates for it to really feel like star trek?