Lt. Commander
# 11
01-25-2011, 11:22 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leegir View Post
I understand the whole c-store thing and paying $15 a month... but I don't agree with so many darn things in the C-Store.

Would it really hurt to release some things like ships/uniforms/ect for free?

Now seeing the Delta Flyer going C-Store is kind irritating.
You (or your parents) pay for cable right?

Pay per view is different right?

That's a example, it boils down to what you think you are entitled to. I hate those arguments, no one can agree and if your job depended on it, you'd sing a different song.

As Spock would say "Sauce for the Goose".
Lt. Commander
# 12
01-26-2011, 12:01 AM
I think I am just spoiled. :p

I have played that other "craft" game since 2004. They never had anything for sale outside of the game until a few years ago and even then it's only a handful of things. 1 mount and a few pets. LotRO was like this also, until it went F2P. Everything was available ingame.
With the C-Store I see just about everything go into it, it it does leave a bad taste in my mouth.

I would just like to see a few "must have" skins be release other ways. Hopefully the crating thing won't take a year to make something
Lt. Commander
# 13
01-26-2011, 02:17 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leegir View Post
I think I am just spoiled. :p

I have played that other "craft" game since 2004. They never had anything for sale outside of the game until a few years ago and even then it's only a handful of things. 1 mount and a few pets. LotRO was like this also, until it went F2P. Everything was available ingame.
With the C-Store I see just about everything go into it, it it does leave a bad taste in my mouth.

I would just like to see a few "must have" skins be release other ways. Hopefully the crating thing won't take a year to make something
Everything goes into CStore?

Let us see:

Defiant Refit - Can get this ingame (for "free" nonetheless)
Interpid Refit - Can get this ingame (for "free" nonetheless)
Galaxy Refit - Can get this ingame (for "free" nonetheless)
T3 Nebula - Can get this ingame
T3 Excelsior - Can get this ingame
Vorcha Refit - Can get this ingame (for "free" nonetheless)
B'rel Refit - Can get this ingame (for "free" nonetheless)
Patrol Cruiser - Can get this ingame (for "free" nonetheless)
Voranus Science - Can get this ingame (for "free" nonetheless)
Catfish Carrier - Can get this ingame (for "free" nonetheless)

Excelsior Refit - CStore
Galaxy-X - CStore
Guramba - CStore
TOS Enterprise - CStore (weapons are ingame though)
NX Enterprise - CStore

14 "new" ships added - 5 of these are CStore only - "Just about everything" riiiight

---- Space Equipment ----

Assimilated Equipment - Ingame
Aegis Equipment - Ingame
Devidian Resist thingy - Ingame
Surplus Deuterium - Ingame

Autoturret - CStore

---- Ground Equipment ----

Breen Gun - Ingame
Devidian Gun - Ingame
Triolic Pattern Enhancer - Ingame
Cryo Gernades - Ingame

Erm, That rare shield that sucks? - CStore

---- Tribbles ----

Cryo Tribble - Ingame
Devidian Tribble - Ingame

Borg Tribble - CStore (was ingame though)
Undine Tribble - Cstore (was ingame though)
Gold Tribble - CStore

---- Other Stuff ----

Runabout/Klingon Shuttle Pet - Expired
Breen BOff - Expired
Devidian Cane - Expired
Borg Bridge Officer - Semi-Ingame / KA Borg and Efficient Saurians

---- Playable Species ----

Most can be matched or surpassed by using the Alien Generator (dont care personally about this, I know the Caitan can jump higher, and some of the others might have unique traits - For the most part, customized Alien is superior

(Obviously the vast majority of gamechanging items, you can get in the game - What is mainly CStore then?)

---- Vanity Items ----

Uniforms (Enterprise or AGT for example) - Doesnt effect game
Bridges (Carrier Bridgeset for example) - Doesnt effect game
Ship Skins (alternate skin for Vor'Cha for example) - Doesnt effect game

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Now, you get a free factional shuttle at the start of the new series, with a skin (most likely) in the store.. Explain what these "just about everything" items are, please?
Lt. Commander
Since Champs has gone FTP and will have to get more of its income from the c-store they will be introducing lots of products to get people to spend money. XP boosts is the first to come. STO will be able to have the best of both worlds: to keep subscribers as the main way to play and add everything champs comes up with that will fit into STO. I haven't played any ftp games with a money store before so I don't know everything they will come up with.

I'll buy some of it just so long as I don't feel like I'm being ripped off. $25 ships wont be on my shopping list or most per-character items. But as long as I feel like they're worth the price and they don't make the store a necessary way to play or compete I'll go along.

I'll bet there is enough in the c-store to easily eat up the stipend subscribers get though. And we'll have most of it too.
Lt. Commander
# 15
01-26-2011, 03:41 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cuatela
Maybe doing the Devidian missions a certain number of times, or in a time limit, would get you the TOS uniforms?
That would be nice!

Regards,
Rachel
Lt. Commander
# 16
01-26-2011, 03:44 AM
Just take a look at the CO-C-Store and be happy that you can't buy all the stuff they have there. Actually I'm suprised that beside the XP-Boost item they didn't add Resource Boost XP-Team Boost and similar items to the STO-Store. It obviously works in CO.

On the other hand there are some nice items which I would be happy to see in the STO-Store. For example you can buy bank-slots in CO.
Lt. Commander
# 17
01-26-2011, 06:01 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Acceleron
Think of the game as ice cream and the c-store items as the toppings. C-store items are for flavor that are not suppose to be game changing, just another way to make something good a little bit better....at an additional fee.
Except, of course, for the STO C-store items that are game-changing...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vampir888 View Post
Just take a look at the CO-C-Store and be happy that you can't buy all the stuff they have there. Actually I'm suprised that beside the XP-Boost item they didn't add Resource Boost XP-Team Boost and similar items to the STO-Store. It obviously works in CO.

On the other hand there are some nice items which I would be happy to see in the STO-Store. For example you can buy bank-slots in CO.
This is because CO has completely changed its business model to 'f2p'/item shop. Actual subscribers receive store points as a stipend partly to make up for the introduction of gameplay-affecting items - of which CO had exactly NONE prior to the f2p switch. Unlike STO. Despite the promises made.
Lt. Commander
# 18
01-26-2011, 06:06 AM
The only Uniform you can earn ingame is for the DXP grind. Think about that for a moment... only ONE Uniform that you can earn ingame that you can't buy or use from the start.

In other games like Diablo 2 one of the main motivators to keep playing the game was to get better looking weapons and Armor, you would play online see another guy with a uber Armor and think "wow that guy knows what he's doing".

This "whoa i need that!!!"-effect is almost gone from games like CO or STO.

I think that is sad and a bad side effect of the C-Store.

...so, did *you* do the DXP grind to get that one extra Uniform?
...i did.
Lt. Commander
# 19
01-26-2011, 06:11 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Z3R0B4NG View Post
...so, did *you* do the DXP grind to get that one extra Uniform?
...i did.
On my main character yes. And I gotz me a Orion Engineer Female =]
Lt. Commander
# 20
01-26-2011, 06:18 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vampir888 View Post

Resources are a different structure in STO than CO. Although perhaps you'd have a point with an Energy Credit boost, but even that feels pretty blah and different given the different game economies [it could certainly work, no mistake, just it would be different]. My impression with the resource boosts in CO was usually they weren't worth the investment, but that was just my opinion .

The bank load out is also somewhat different, with the player having one tab that gets larger as you level. While in CO, you have 1 tab, and can buy additional tabs in game. Further muddied by the f2p which has some hard limits on inventory.

One thing I think should be mentioned though, it's a bit early to determine if something works in CO's F2P, I mean, it just launched yesterday.