Lt. Commander
... okey, there'll probably be a few not so small suggestions as well.

While I've been playing over the last week, any time I come across something that annoyed me or I felt should be changed slightly, I've written it down.

most of the stuff in here are about minimizing the annoyance and stress players feels. and less bout gameplay changes (though sometimes you can't NOT mention stuff in that category too)

so without further ado:
  1. the key K should always open my character's skill window, even when in space
    (unless you intend to add the ability for my ship to gain skills?)
  2. When checking a BO's status, his name should be coloured with his rarity: white, green, blue, purple. I shouldn't have to check his traits to figure out if he's my rare BO or the common one.
  3. If the launcher recognizes that the server is down, it shouldn't try to log me in.
    same with the log in screen.
  4. Allow ENTER in the character selection screen. also hitting ESC to leave it, and leave the log in screen. Oh, and arrow-keys to navigate the different characters!
  5. "Log out" should only take you as far back as the character selection screen (change the name of the button if you have to) ... because it's annoying to have to go through a login queue when all you wanted to do was to check your banker-char.
  6. There is no six.
  7. Let us save control schemes... or have a "set as default" option.
    Every time I've created a new character, I'd have to sit for ten minutes and set all my controls.
  8. With bank or mail open, right-clicking should move an item to or from said window.
  9. "this skill improves XYZ abilities... Examples include:"
    list all of them. this should be obvious.
    also, HOW they improve. cooldown? duration? damage?
    here's how it could look:
    Quick fix I - cooldown reduction.
    Shield Recharge I - Amount healed.
  10. Let us sort our list of commissioned bridge officers ourselves. or give us choices:
    Sort by Name, rank, class, shipstation... and perhaps include the ability to add separators to keep things organized. (my bridge crew isn't the same as the one I go down to surfaces with, for instance).
  11. When checking BO's in the exhange, names should be coloured by rarity just like items.
  12. Why are all the NPCs in stations so rude? they keep shoving me rather violently all the time... even when I go out of my way to stand in a corner (so as not to be disturbed).
    not all NPCs do, though.. which is even more frustrating. be consistent!
  13. less hip hairstyles. or rather.. more "normal" hairstyles.
    I don't want to look like Zell from Final Fantasy 8...
    More long hair!
  14. I am not a new player any more... so why do I keep seeing new player tips?
    I've gone to the ship-customization and ship-choosing guys over fifty times so far... I the game still keeps telling me what I can do at these guys in the bottom right corner of the screen.
    annoying more than helpful at this point.
  15. the ability to choose to NOT track a mission would be nice.
  16. Better indication that someone on your friends list has logged on... the audio you have for 'PM recieved' would do. one system message is not enough.
  17. Also the ability to have two chat-panes up at the same time. one for PMs, one for fleet chat? or one for system/loot/XP and one for chat.
  18. MORE PANTS!
    only normal pants are either leather or the TNG pyjamas.
  19. Weapon tooltips should state how often they fire, rather than what volley-damage they do. DPS is a good enough indication on whether they do more damage than what we already have. this is especially important with some weapons whose only real difference is the RoF (Heavy vs normal cannons, photon vs quantum torps)
    Also list cooldown-times for abilities, perhaps?
  20. If you hover over a weapon in your toolbar it'll tell you how much damage you actually do with it. make that the default tooltip for all weapons... (that is to say, make all tooltips take skills into account).
    (it'll help give players a feeling of actually getting stronger as they progress through the game.. rather than think "oh, another level and here's a weapon that does 2 dps more than my last weapon... yay.").
  21. Exploration clusters shouldn't feel claustrophobic.
    if you meet another person in there, your first thought should NOT be: "oh darn.. now he'll steal all my planets" in fact, meeting someone else should be rare and nice.. "awesome! someone else is here, lets do some planets together" .. and if they turn out to be a bad player, you part ways and you might never meet again.
  22. minimap zoom: make the game remember ground and space separately.
    I like to keep the minimap in space zoomed out all the way... but that makes things on the ground microscopic.
  23. *clicking* the game menu button on the minimap should bring up the game menu instantly.. I shouldn't have to press it twice.. or five+ times if I have autolock on.
  24. don't put "report spam"-victims on my ignore list. they'll soon be banned, but their name will most likely stay on my ignore list, right? I don't want a million goldspammers on my ignore list... actually, isn't the ignore list finite?
    also.. I like looking at my ignore list and actually *knowing* why I have a certain person on ignore. makes it feel like it's personal
    edit for clarification: when you report someone... they wouldn't be put on your ignore list, but you'd still not see any of their messages.
    You could make it last for only till you close down the game (if they last longer than that without being auto-silenced or banned, they're probably not actual spammers, in which case the ignore feature is for you).

I'll continue to write down stuff and bump this post whenever I have a big enough list...
feel free to add your own *small* changes, stuff that don't seem like it would take too much time for the DEVs to implement.

resolution: something that's been bothering me for some time is that taking a screenshot automagically removes the UI.
typing /bind multiply screenshot_ui_jpg will make the multiply on your keypad take a screenshot with the UI on.
Lt. Commander
# 2
02-10-2010, 11:26 AM
  • Chat: if you have a "time until text fades out" slider, scrolling should make the faded-out text reappear. right now, it does not.
  • Exchange: let us sort the results. name, tier (I, II, III, IV, etc), and price (only on the current page of the list you're viewing... so the cheapest of the last 100 items added get put first. not the cheapest of all time)
  • Minimap: the "?" (bugs etc) should probably trade places with the mail.
    for the first five days of the game I didn't even know you could access the mail-window outside a station. knowing that would make commuinication a lot easier.
    (basically what I'm saying is that the things you use the most should be the most accessible... you could even move the "?" to the game menu).
  • Sort Remote Contacts (Sulu, Quinn & Co) by rank and name.
    Right now it seems really random, also don't close it if I start a convo with one of them.
    correction: now the last person you spoke with goes to the top of the list. so that the people you never speak with are always at the bottom.
    (I have opened it, chosen a person to talk with, only to realize it wasn't who I was looking for... re-opened the list chosen someone else only to get the same guy cause the list had sorted itself differently the second time. very annoying).
  • If "remember my username" is ticked in the log in screen, move the focus to the password field automagically.
  • List character names in the character-selection screen by name or creation date and have the last char you played on pre-selected... could just be that I haven't gotten used to this way yet.. and since you can really only have 3-5 characters, it's a small gripe.
  • NPCs can shoot through obstacles (asteroids, houses, THE GROUND) but I can't. very frustrating.. especially since we have no way (CC) of making them not ram full speed into an asteroid.
  • Make higher tiered sensors be able to see and identify ships and objects further away.
    kind of weird to get better and better ships with better and better sensors and deflector dishes and doodads and doohickeys... and still be restricted to the 30km 'see' and 15-18km 'identify'... I can understand weapon-ranges being set in stone though.
More to come later, I'm sure.
Lt. Commander
# 3
02-16-2010, 10:03 PM
Do other people get to add to this list?
Lt. Commander
# 4
02-16-2010, 10:27 PM
Good list

Just to add on the sorting contacts, maybe even sort them via the location they are in to more easily identify who you want to talk to. That would help me a lot!

All the suggestions on this list would help, although I quite like my "hip" hairstyles
Lt. Commander
# 5
02-17-2010, 05:22 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Talvisota
Do other people get to add to this list?
of course! I aint selfish ;)
Lt. Commander
# 6
02-23-2010, 02:24 AM
bump and some updates.
  • In the descriptions on some skills it is written: "* only happens in some circumstances" ... vague much?
    what are these circumstances, and couldn't you write "has a #% of happening if... something-something-something"
  • Don't show the "Skill up!" icon in the upper-left corner of the screen if I don't have enough points to get a skill at my current rank/tier.
    right now it shows up when you have 200 skillpoints to spend, and as a commander, it's annoying to have that brightblue reminder when I *know* I can't actually get any of my commander-rank skills.
  • When warping from one sector to another, the game should remember which direction I was facing. right now, you will always point 'north'. when leaving systems, it is different. why?
  • Give us a slider for how long bodies should remain visible. after a particularly gruesome and prolonged battle I'd like to view the carnage I've wrought and go "Veni vidi vici".
    ... or, if I stumble across a lot of my own factions wrecks I could go .. "Veni vidi varpi"..
    I came, I saw, I warped the hell out.

I've also updated the lists so far with the things that have been fixed, or changed.
Lt. Commander
# 7
03-06-2010, 11:52 AM
I agree 110% with all of these.

It's the little things in life after all.
Lt. Commander
# 8
03-06-2010, 12:01 PM
Quote:
Why are all the NPCs in stations so rude? they keep shoving me rather violently all the time... even when I go out of my way to stand in a corner (so as not to be disturbed).
Ahhh yes. I often have to go to the military building(ROTC) at my college. Everyone there is REQUIRED to acknowledge a superior officer, even if one does not know them personally. When a Colonel comes rolling along the cadets and junior officers all say "How do you do Sir?" or something of the like.

In game I'll be viewing the scenery and a Vulcan Ensign will come up and chest bump me from behind. I think he should offer a polite greeting and then be on his way. I KNOW this is a simple fix seeing as in the state room at earth starbase the NPC's there always acknowledge you as you go by.
Lt. Commander
# 9
03-06-2010, 12:05 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eleriel
... okey, there'll probably be a few not so small suggestions as well.

While I've been playing over the last week, any time I come across something that annoyed me or I felt should be changed slightly, I've written it down.

most of the stuff in here are about minimizing the annoyance and stress players feels. and less bout gameplay changes (though sometimes you can't NOT mention stuff in that category too)

so without further ado:
  1. the key K should always open my character's skill window, even when in space
    (unless you intend to add the ability for my ship to gain skills?)
  2. give me a hotkey for rallypoint when on the ground.
  3. When checking a BO's status, his name should be coloured with his rarity: white, green, blue, purple. I shouldn't have to check his traits to figure out if he's my rare BO or the common one.
  4. If the launcher recognizes that the server is down, it shouldn't try to log me in.
    same with the log in screen.
  5. Allow ENTER in the character selection screen. also hitting ESC to leave it, and leave the log in screen. Oh, and arrow-keys to navigate the different characters!
  6. There is no six.
  7. "Log out" should only take you as far back as the character selection screen (change the name of the button if you have to) ... because it's annoying to have to go through a login queue when all you wanted to do was to check your banker-char.
  8. Let us save control schemes... or have a "set as default" option.
    Every time I've created a new character, I'd have to sit for ten minutes and set all my controls.
  9. With bank or mail open, right-clicking should move an item to or from said window.
  10. "learning all nine ranks unlocks the skill to train officers <skills>".
    If my class can't actually train the skill, don't let me see this message.
    It makes engineers believe they can teach tactical skills, and vice versa.
  11. "this skill improves XYZ abilities... Examples include:"
    list all of them. this should be obvious.
    also, HOW they improve. cooldown? duration? damage?
    here's how it could look:
    Quick fix I - cooldown reduction.
    Shield Recharge I - Amount healed.
  12. Add respec. this should have been in the game even before you introduced a skillcap.
    People make the most mistakes when they're still in their infancy, and those mistakes often feel the most dire. (if you only have 200 skillpoints, putting them in skills you don't use or didn't understand what they did is really annoying.. more so if you have no way to fix them).
  13. Let us sort our list of commissioned bridge officers ourselves. or give us choices:
    Sort by Name, rank, class, shipstation... and perhaps include the ability to add separators to keep things organized. (my bridge crew isn't the same as the one I go down to surfaces with, for instance).
  14. When checking BO's in the exhange, names should be coloured just like items.
  15. Why are all the NPCs in stations so rude? they keep shoving me rather violently all the time... even when I go out of my way to stand in a corner (so as not to be disturbed).
  16. Give us the option to freeze character movement in the character-creation... or re-add 'robotic'.
    it may look cool the way it is now, but it's hardly functional.
    also.. a "relaxed" stance would be nice.
  17. less hip hairstyles. or rather.. more "normal" hairstyles.
    I don't want to look like Zell from Final Fantasy 8...
  18. I am not a new player any more... so why do I keep seeing new player tips?
    I've gone to the ship-customization and ship-choosing guys over fifty times so far... I the game still keeps telling me what I can do at these guys in the bottom right corner of the screen.
    annoying more than helpful at this point.
  19. the ability to choose to NOT track a mission would be nice.
  20. Better indication that someone on your friends list has logged on... the audio you have for 'PM recieved' would do. one system message is not enough.
  21. Also the ability to have two chat-panes up at the same time. one for PMs, one for fleet chat? or one for system/loot/XP and one for chat.
  22. MORE PANTS!
    only normal pants are either leather or the TNG pyjamas.
  23. More long hair!
  24. in video settings: a Master control... 'low', 'medium', 'high' and 'ultra'.
  25. Weapon tooltips should state how often they fire, rather than what volley-damage they do. DPS is a good enough indication on whether they do more damage than what we already have. this is especially important with some weapons whose only real difference is the RoF (Heavy vs normal cannons, photon vs quantum torps)
    Also list cooldowns, perhaps?
  26. If you hover over a weapon in your toolbar it'll tell you how much damage you actually do with it. make that the default tooltip for all weapons... (that is to say, make all tooltips take skills into account).
    (it'll help give players a feeling of actually getting stronger as they progress through the game.. rather than think "oh, another level and here's a weapon that does 2 dps more than my last weapon... yay.").
  27. don't put "report spam"-victims on my ignore list. they'll soon be banned, but their name will most likely stay on my ignore list, right? I don't want a million goldspammers on my ignore list... actually, isn't the ignore list finite?
    also.. I like looking at my ignore list and actually *knowing* why I have a certain person on ignore. makes it feel like it's personal
  28. Exploration clusters shouldn't feel claustrophobic.
    if you meet another person in there, your first thought should NOT be: "oh darn.. now he'll steal all my planets" in fact, meeting someone else should be rare and nice.. "awesome! someone else is here, lets do some planets together" .. and if they turn out to be a bad player, you part ways and you might never meet again.
  29. minimap zoom: make the game remember ground and space separately.
    I like to keep the minimap in space zoomed out all the way... but that makes things on the ground microscopic.
  30. *clicking* the game menu button on the minimap should bring up the game menu instantly.. I shouldn't have to press it twice.. or five+ times if I have autolock on.

I'll continue to write down stuff and bump this post whenever I have a big enough list...
feel free to add your own *small* changes, stuff that don't seem like it would take too much time for the DEVs to implement.

Finally... Autofire. my fingers would really appreciate it.

resolution: something that's been bothering me for some time is that taking a screenshot automagically removes the UI.
typing /bind multiply screenshot_ui_jpg will make the multiply on your keypad take a screenshot with the UI on.

You forgot the most important thing, Cryptic selling the rights to any other company would definitely improve the gameplay.
Lt. Commander
# 10
03-06-2010, 12:19 PM
Shhh Knee.... SHHHHH (my sig owns)