Lt. Commander
# 41
01-27-2011, 07:05 AM
While I can empathize with the people upset about the delay(s), I think they should remember that the calendar and dstahl's posts (including the Upcoming Schedule Update thread he started a while ago) all tell us that the dates are tentative and subject to change.

I think this update's delay has some to do with Champions going F2P (although it's a separate game, it is made by the same company, and they have said in the past that personnel gets shifted around to help out the different teams at times, when they're needed), but they also have to do with giving use more time to test (and report bugs with) the changes on Tribble before they send them to Holodeck.

That said, I would still rather they give us tentative dates that turn into delays than not tell us about upcoming content. Overall, I feel that there have been less delays than not, but I still kind of feel bad for the people who took time off. Maybe there will be a Trek marathon on or something.
Lt. Commander
# 42
01-27-2011, 08:28 AM
they have been working on this stuff for the entire month of January now (and presumably longer). I get that dates are tentative, but how about a little more warning before pulling the rug out from us mere days before a release. unless there was a last minute crash to the delta flyer initiator, I just don't get why it is suddenly a problem.
Lt. Commander
# 43
01-27-2011, 09:05 AM
Yeah, I'd like to know why it was delayed aswell...
Lt. Commander
# 44
01-27-2011, 11:55 AM
I hope STO's anniversary, the other event that me and many others are highly anticipating, doesn't get suddenly rescheduled. Otherwise...it would no longer be its anniversary
Lt. Commander
# 45 Kind of disappointed
01-27-2011, 12:27 PM
I donít get that much time to play STO, and I was hoping to use the XP boost to get my character leveled up a little before the anniversary. Just next time could you give us a little more warning before a delay, we all understand things go wrong, but less then 24H notice is a little irresponsible of you. Still love the game.
Lt. Commander
# 46
01-27-2011, 01:32 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by willriker09 View Post
they have been working on this stuff for the entire month of January now (and presumably longer). I get that dates are tentative, but how about a little more warning before pulling the rug out from us mere days before a release. unless there was a last minute crash to the delta flyer initiator, I just don't get why it is suddenly a problem.
I'm sure they let us know about a change as soon as they can. They may not know days ahead of time if they can't make a given date as it could be due to some unforseen circumstance (ie QA found a showstopper mayber an hour before they expected a push - which has happened.

Bottom line - don't make plans around tentative dates, and if you do, don't get all that upset when something doesn't pan out as expected.

And as others have stated above, I :OVE the open communication, and would rather see that contined (and tentative dates missed if need be); rather then the Devs deciding not to say anything until a more firm date is determined.
Lt. Commander
# 47
01-27-2011, 04:05 PM
Quote:
I hope STO's anniversary, the other event that me and many others are highly anticipating, doesn't get suddenly rescheduled. Otherwise...it would no longer be its anniversary
Did it occur to anyone that maybe, just maybe, the technical challenges of the anniversary day might play into the current delays? The anniversary is going to be a HUGE rollout. I think prioritizing the anniversary would be more important than getting a shuttle to the c-store.

Quote:
Yes, they've been working diligently to get these trinkets to you, but stuff happen. When coding, one line misplaced or an obscure line of code activated/deactivated and the whole thing can come grinding to a halt. The reason you or anyone else for that matter "just don't get why it is suddenly a problem" is because you are not in the throes of the development. Not that that is a bad thing; that is just why.

P.S. willriker09, sorry to climb all over your statements but they seemed to hit all the angst about the delay.

Quote:
Originally Posted by FredCasden
Hey some folks look forward to certain things more than others... I'm sure you'll hit the ceiling about something being delayed, and when that happens I hope someone gives you that famous Bill Shatner quote :p
Doubtful, it's a game. I'd hate to see what would be happening if this occurred on the day of the release.
Chicken Little would have had it easier.
Lt. Commander
# 48
01-28-2011, 12:09 AM
Tentative? There were a few points concerning the foundry that were marked as tentative, and that means it won't come out as expected anyway. But if there's no such remark, I expect it to come out as planned, that's all I hoped for. I can live with the delays, but I would also like to know why it was delayed.

A hint for the developers from me, who is also a developer of quests for an existing game: Don't set your dates to the most difficult level. I know Atari is pushing you to the limit, but don't promise release dates which can never be held. Instead, put the dates 14 or 21 days ahead of schedule. If some content is released sooner than those dates, everyone will be very happy! Instead, if there is always a delay of 7 to 14 days, people keep posting in these threads and that makes the game look worse than it actually is. It's all a trick of communication with the public! If you do that right, you won't have a lot of issues on your hands!

~ Eris The Vorta
Lt. Commander
# 49
01-28-2011, 02:40 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by ErisTheVorta View Post
Tentative? There were a few points concerning the foundry that were marked as tentative, and that means it won't come out as expected anyway. But if there's no such remark, I expect it to come out as planned, that's all I hoped for. I can live with the delays, but I would also like to know why it was delayed.
Yes, tentative. While I can understand wanting to know the reason(s) for a delay, they told us before they started the calendar that all the dates are subject to change.

Also, dstahl has been pretty clear in his posts, saying that dates are tentative. The Upcoming Schedule Update thread even says "Disclaimer: These are tentative dates and may still change." before he even wrote any of the dates. Also, his last line in that thread's first post is "I'll keep you posted as things change (which they always do)." I've notice he's changed that post about the update that is now coming out Tuesday, but I distinctly remember the two lines I quoted being there in his original post.

Again, I can empathize about wanting to know a reason as to the delay (and possibly a bit sooner than we did), but Cryptic has always been clear that the dates they announce aren't set in stone.