Lt. Commander
# 21
01-27-2011, 05:01 AM
we've "been there, done that" with regards to server downtime discussions many a time already. cryptics response is usually along the lines of "we schedule downtimes to happen when the server load is lowest and it effects the least amount of people" ra ra ra.

all usa based games are pretty much the same.
Lt. Commander
# 22
01-27-2011, 05:09 AM
Simple solution... MOVE TO AMERICA!!!! We have cake, beer, and server downtimes in the am.
Lt. Commander
# 23
01-27-2011, 05:10 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by disposeable View Post
Simple solution... MOVE TO AMERICA!!!! We have cake, beer, and server downtimes in the am.
what would i do with my pet wombat??

ot: server downtime has been extended by another 2 hours.....
Lt. Commander
# 24
01-27-2011, 05:15 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by BKKBum
I know this game is only a year old but I just joined two weeks ago and in that short time there have been 7 server downtimes.

I've played MANY MMO's and this MMO has by far the most frequent downtimes I've seen.

IS this the level of service I should expect from STO in the short and long term? if so then I think I deserve a refund! these outages are waaay too frequent.

I am living in Thailand atm and these downtimes are hitting me during MY prime time 6:00pm

Can someone from Cryptic please respond to this?

Greg
Most of the downtimes the last few days were account server downtimes. If you managed to login before them, you could continue playing the game without any problems. The reason for those were that Champions Online has gone Free To Play and the Cryptic account servers need to be updated to handle the changes.

Today we're getting "real" server downtime, e.g. the life holodeck server is down and people can't play. Thursday is the day for regular maintanance, and if there are patches ready at that time, also them. (Urgent patches can still happen at any time)

It's possible this day will also be used to update the Weekly Episodes that, IIRC, start this Saturday, but that might have already happened or happen another time.
Lt. Commander
# 25
01-27-2011, 05:22 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by MustrumRidcully View Post
It's possible this day will also be used to update the Weekly Episodes that, IIRC, start this Saturday, but that might have already happened or happen another time.
there was a dev post that said that the patch would be tuesday, todays downtime is only for a reboot / maintenance.

weekly episodes are still over a week away, they were moved back for the CO F2P launch.
Lt. Commander
# 26
01-27-2011, 05:26 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dane_Strife
I think after the winter break they have a bit of catching up to do

Their catching up allows me to conquer the galaxy as the Borg in Sins of a Solar Empire Sacrifice of Angels 2.... Mwa ha ha
There's also the issue of account maintenance happening because of CO. Sort of like how all of SOE's games weren't really able to be playable for a while around DCUO's launch.
Lt. Commander
# 27
01-27-2011, 05:41 AM
I'm just glad it's not like Eve Online (a game I love, by the way). They have downtime every day, scheduled for an hour (sometimes less, sometimes more), and that doesn't include any additional downtime(s). As for the timing of it all, Eve's downtime is usually at 11am GMT, and CCP is a European company.

All that said, I'm hoping (and looking forward to) the update to Holodeck does go through on Tuesday, because ESD looks so much better on Tribble right now, heh. (and I want to get my hands on my Delta Flyer! )
Lt. Commander
# 28
01-27-2011, 05:54 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert_Praetori View Post
i always wondered why they came with just one cube... seemed a bit cocky of the borg. Better safe then sorry and send half a dozen. VOY showed they had that many.
Read the Star Trek: Destiny series of books, the borg send 7000 cubes against the fed, klingon, romulan and assorted others. Not gonna spoil any more than to say it is a major change of the way things used to be.
Lt. Commander
# 29
01-27-2011, 05:57 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fractal_Eye
I'm just glad it's not like Eve Online (a game I love, by the way). They have downtime every day, scheduled for an hour (sometimes less, sometimes more), and that doesn't include any additional downtime(s). As for the timing of it all, Eve's downtime is usually at 11am GMT, and CCP is a European company.

All that said, I'm hoping (and looking forward to) the update to Holodeck does go through on Tuesday, because ESD looks so much better on Tribble right now, heh. (and I want to get my hands on my Delta Flyer! )
That shuttle on Tribble moves around like a rocket! That being said, it is about as strong as a soda can. I'm a VA and I put Aegis gear on it with Purple MkX Anti-proton Weapons and took in into one of the Klingon DSEs in the Risa Sector and I kept popping like popcorn. It is not made for combat. (I took my Excelsior back a little later to exact some revenge. )
Lt. Commander
# 30
01-27-2011, 06:07 AM
If o9ne day a week isnt your cup of tea for REGULARLY scheduled downtime., (anything other than maintenance is considered "emergency" downtime) then MMO's might not be your cup of tea. I know off the top of my head that CoH and WoW both have weekly maintenance schedules... WoW for 4-6 hours most the time.