Lt. Commander
# 21
03-11-2011, 10:48 AM
My friend's game did the same thing after the latest ATI update

have you tried rolling back the drivers?
turn off dynamic lighting?
turn off post processing?

----------------------------------------

SuperCrypticDave,
bins.hogg? or hogg files within Star Trek Online/Live/piggs
Is that the only file(s), or can other ones be deleted and redone?
Lt. Commander
# 22
03-11-2011, 10:49 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by yrott View Post
I have the same issue. Mine is getting really bad that it makes it really hard to complete missions because I can't see everything especially on ground missions.

Mine has been acting up starting this year I've only had one time when I played for a long time and all was visible.

I have An ATI Mobility Radeon HD Driver 5650 version 8.771.1.0 up to date.

here are links to videos I took of the game play.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9Eo06FKLlZk
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RPmrOHfynfM
That LOOKS an awful lot like an OenGL issue I used to get with SecondLife. turned out that my videocards were burning out. I went through three cards that started off fine, then would do it after a couple of hours in a complex area... then it would be after an hour, then a half hour.. and eventually did this more and more often.. til eventually it was constant any time I opened an OpenGL application..

I think STO is DirectX.. but perhaps a similar issue is at the root here. How's your heat dispersion on your card? is your computer getting searingly hot while playing STO? Fans driving like mad? Does everything start out fine, and then after a while go haywire?

I hope it's not a dying card.. but it sure looks familiar to me.
Lt. Commander
# 23
03-11-2011, 10:56 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by PodSix
That LOOKS an awful lot like an OenGL issue I used to get with SecondLife. turned out that my videocards were burning out. I went through three cards that started off fine, then would do it after a couple of hours in a complex area... then it would be after an hour, then a half hour.. and eventually did this more and more often.. til eventually it was constant any time I opened an OpenGL application..

I think STO is DirectX.. but perhaps a similar issue is at the root here. How's your heat dispersion on your card? is your computer getting searingly hot while playing STO? Fans driving like mad? Does everything start out fine, and then after a while go haywire?

I hope it's not a dying card.. but it sure looks familiar to me.
from what I've seen and heard...
It happens directly upon entering the game itself.
on my friends comp, the heat is within standards, well, everything is except in game. lol
Lt. Commander
# 24
03-11-2011, 05:39 PM
Ok i haven't read everything in the thread however i'm going to tell you all how i fixed this problem. I'm using 2 ati radeon 4850's in crossfire and this problem started straight after updating drivers, rolling back to old ones and using system restore wouldn't work. What i did was installed the new drivers alone, WITHOUT Catalyst Control Center, and guess what, it worked perfectly fine.

My understanding currently, is that the newer versions of Catalyst Control Center for some reason disable Geometry Instancing by default, however this is required to be enabled or you get this exact problem. there are some registry keys that you can change to get geometry instancing to show in catalyst control center but i haven't done enough testing to see if the option actually functions or if its there and doesn't do anything. When i have a week free to update my drivers (yes thats right since the end of 2009 any new AMD drivers take about that long to get working properly) ill try to find the registry keys again and test this and if it actually works, ill write down where to find the keys so you can all try it yourselves.

Only problem with this is i cant explain why a clean install of new drivers after formatting the operating system works fine, but updating them from older ones doesn't
Lt. Commander
# 25 my own milage with 5670s
03-11-2011, 06:41 PM
I had similar problems recently. I run a pair of 5670s. I had to boot to safemode and run driver sweeper and everything. Nothing else actually worked for me.

Also, I had to replace the cooling on my cards. They undercool one of the memory chips really badly. Everyone postiing about 46xx and 56xx with reference cards should take a look. I ended up using aftermarket coolers. Only because I have same series of cards and had the same visual problems recently, I think the people with the 46xx and 56xx should run furmark or futuremark and try to really rule out heat.

Here's a images of the burned PCB and the damage to the stock heatpad. I saw similar separation on the same heatpad on my other card. All images were taken by me and I'm not hotlinking...

http://s1180.photobucket.com/albums/x411/avesdude/

Just my thoughts, hopefully helps someone. I can't say for sure my issues were heat or driver, but I know to reinstall the driver I had to safemode sweep them. And I had heat issues, and one of my memory ICs may be smoked.

The card is just under a year old, and I found the heat damage today. The other card is newer and has no damage.
Lt. Commander
# 26
03-11-2011, 08:40 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperCrypticDave

Finally, if you've filed a ticket on this issue, please speak up (can you give me a ticket number) as I'd like to take a look at the tickets and see how much progress they've made in getting elevated to bug reports instead of having CS look at it. Please, only tickets with respect to this particular bug - I have plenty of stuff to look at right now, if you've seen my other posts you'll know this is true

Dave
My Ticket numbers are 1047682 and 1047331

Thanks for all the responses with solutions. I will see what works for me and post if anything works.
Lt. Commander
It was after the patch that went into effect on my game yesterday 3.11.11

I play every night so I know exactly when the problem started after the patch. I have reinstalled drivers, double checked all different settings in game for video, etc. Still nothing.

I am not a computer jedi but as is said by others on the thread this only happens with STO and only started yesterday. Did not update drivers before but did after the problem happened but to no success.

I have deleted the .bin files noted by our TS post on the thread but when I start STO a patch runs that replaces those files (obv they are necessary to run the game) so I guess that was just to delete the old files.

Really bummed as I play everyday and now my nerdy self is going to have to play "shuttter" something else!
Lt. Commander
Same issue as the other user with flickering,

My ticket is 1,081,009

Really appreciate the help, suffering with withdrawals!
Lt. Commander
# 29
03-13-2011, 11:18 AM
SuperCrypticDave

Yes that was the exact same problem that I was having with my game. I ended up deleting my divers and am operating on windows basic drivers . the game is not as detailed but it seems to have solved the problem . still have my HIS radeon 5670 HD video card installed, just not using the drivers with it. this was the support ticket submitted: Star Trek Online not displaying rig - #1039852 - Star Trek Online. It has since been closed because I think we ran out of options.

Thank you for your time on this and thanks to everyone who is posting I was beginning to think I was the only one with this problem.
Lt. Commander
# 30
03-13-2011, 12:44 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sath View Post
Did you experiment with different driver settings like lower anti-aliasing, tripple buffers and such?
I have the Nvidia Radeon GTX 260, i leave everything on default except for the multi-monitor setting, i switch it to single monitor performance mode. Most things are on "let the application decide". The newest drivers are Stereoscopic 3D drivers maybe Nvidia has to solve a few issues still, i am fine however.
sorry but you have either an NVidia OR Radeon card !! and of the looks it that extreme problem is for the ATI boys.
but fear not NVidia guys will be prowling the forums soon i guess! noticed weird explosions lately all pixalated and multi colored and its just with explosions so its not my card otherwise all would be bad. same counts for the ATI guys, its probably NOT there ati card, either the card works or it does not that simple.