Lt. Commander
# 1 Infected feedback
02-13-2011, 10:24 AM
So, I decided to try my hand at Infected yesterday. I really want the engine reward since it's the only reward in the game that increase warp speed. So, I got a group together and went in. The space part wasn't too bad, just time consuming, though it does seem entirely ridiculous that 5 ships can take on that many Borg (when it was shown in the shows and movies that a single Cube could hold of dozens of ships). We finally get inside and start fighting the riduclous numbers of Borg walking around (seriously, quality over quantity, a small number of really high level enemies would seem far more realistic, First Contact showed a ship full of people being overwhelmed by a small number of Borg, but here we are fighting off literally hundreds of them and winning). So, as we approach the checkpoint with the first boss, the server issues from yesterday kick in and we all start getting kicked. So, we manage to keep logging back in long enough to beat the first boss and get the checkpoint. Then the servers go down for maintenance, so when they come back up an hour or so later, only a few members of my original team get back on. I manage to scrounge together a new team (which is very hard to do since I was on a checkpoint). We go in and fight our way to the end and I find that my teams jumpers just can't make it in time. We tried for 2 or 3 hours. So we give up for the night. This morning I scrounge together another team and fight to the end again, this time our jumpers almost make it before one of them has to get off. So we try to do it for another hour or so with only 4. No cigar.

So at this point I've spent 7 or 8 hours on a mission that all the walkthroughs say should only take 2-3. So, why I ask, is it that these rewards aren't available to those that like singleplayer content. It seems totally unfair to exclude those that like singleplayer content from getting items such as this one. I've always hated it when MMOs tried to force groups. Some of us just don't like the stress. Why isn't there an equal time and effort way for lone wolfs to get this warp enhancing item. Why isn't there say a crafting quest that takes the same amount of time as Infected, or an in-game currency way to buy it that takes an equivalent amount of time to save up the currency required. It is bad business to force lone wolfs into groups, only to watch them struggle to complete a mission that requires team work, when they are lone wolfs that have never been good at team work in MMO's.
Lt. Commander
# 2
02-13-2011, 12:32 PM
Don't blame Cryptic for your groups short-comings... You have stated that your group was in-experienced and lacked the needed skills to complete the easiest of the STF's very clearly in your post. I believe you should re-read your own words and tell us why you failed and then address those points of failure.

You seem like a reasonable person yet are shifting the blame to Cryptic for no good reason. Your teamates can't jump... who's fault is that? Jumping around the plasma is easier if you pan your camera up and your jumps will be maximum height if you hold the space bar down for the entire duration of the jump.

While you might consider your time spent on infected a waste, I would call it a learning experience and would suggest that you need more skillful teamates or better leadership skills to finish this mission.
Lt. Commander
# 3
02-13-2011, 12:40 PM
1. my only criticisms of Infected is maybe to many waves of ships at the gate in space (kind of a grind)

2. When you die in the last room you should spawn in the last room not outside the locked door
Lt. Commander
# 4
02-13-2011, 01:25 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by shikamaru317 View Post
snip
You should have tried it before they nerfed this mission into oblivion...still you claim itīs too difficult? Seriously?
There are loads of threads for Infected strategies in the forums.
THIS one is quite a nice thread.
Oh and yes read my sig :p
Lt. Commander
# 5
02-13-2011, 01:36 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Napoleon_BlownApart
Don't blame Cryptic for your groups short-comings... You have stated that your group was in-experienced and lacked the needed skills to complete the easiest of the STF's very clearly in your post. I believe you should re-read your own words and tell us why you failed and then address those points of failure.

You seem like a reasonable person yet are shifting the blame to Cryptic for no good reason. Your teamates can't jump... who's fault is that? Jumping around the plasma is easier if you pan your camera up and your jumps will be maximum height if you hold the space bar down for the entire duration of the jump.

While you might consider your time spent on infected a waste, I would call it a learning experience and would suggest that you need more skillful teamates or better leadership skills to finish this mission.
I agree with your post 100%
Lt. Commander
# 6
02-13-2011, 03:10 PM
Really, it's not the difficulty of the mission that bothers me. I can understand them making it hard for those that like group content like this. What I don't like is that they have a unique item that is exclusive to a certain group of players. I think items should have multiple, equal effort/time ways to obtain them. Why make lone wolfs do group group content that they hate to get the best piece of equipment in the game. If a player doesn't want to spend 3 hours on a group mission, why not let them spend 3 hours collecting crafting matierials to build it, or let them spend 3 hours doing dailies to get enough emblems to buy it. I don't like it when mmo's force players to do content that they don't enjoy in order to get loot. Why should anyone do something that isn't enjoyable in a game. That defeats the whole purpose of playing games, which is to have fun.

So no I'm not asking them to nerf Infected and I'm not saying that the mission is too hard. The mission is fine. A design philosophy of making exclusive items for a select group of players isn't.
Lt. Commander
# 7
02-13-2011, 03:31 PM
Infected was never hard, I want Pre-nerf versions of all the STFs....
Lt. Commander
# 8
02-14-2011, 12:39 AM
I have done "Infected" and it took the group I was in 7 hours to beat it. We had 5 people for the space part and had some members leave because the Borg were murdering us on Starbase 82. The three of us that were left made it all the way to the final boss fight and exited out to get two more team members because we couldn't kill the Borg and jump the plasma to drop the shield.

I do not believe the Borg gear that you get from the STFs should be craft able. If a MMO doesn't have gear that is hard to get then it would be a very boring game. Some people, like me, enjoy challenging missions.
I plan to try for the other two Borg equipment from "The Cure" and "Khitomer Accord".

Like some of the replies have said, there are people who are willing to team with you to do these missions that have done them dozens of times before. I originally never planned to try these STFs because i thought finding four other players to team up with would be a pain. I was wrong.
Lt. Commander
# 9
02-14-2011, 12:46 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Napoleon_BlownApart

Could not agree with this more. STF's do have a steep learning curve, but with the right elements, good teamwork and communication, the rewards and results are very obtainable. I use to hate 'pugging' on ********, to the point where i just didn't do it in the end, only to join a Guild and find a nicer level playing field with a bunch of people that had a better understanding of what was required of them. This is no different in STO, as there are plenty of good and friendly Fleets out there willing to help people through.
Lt. Commander
# 10
02-14-2011, 12:55 AM
The space gate - (because I feel generous) after you clear the first group of borg in space DO NOT PRESS CONTINUE on any screen that pops up!!! Especially the second one. Fly behind the gate, and wait till everyone is ready. Give a count down and pound the gate. On both RA and VA, my fleet can take that gate from 100 percent down to the magical 25 percent needed to stop the waves in one shot. Then you have one mass wave to clean up.

I have offered help before and given my in game contact but people refuse to take the help offered. Please do not complain we will not help you. The issue is you not helping yourself. I will not spoon feed a grown adult just to please them. Find those that know what they are doing and they will help. When you look for a job, you actively look yourself. The job doesnt go out looking for you.

The STF's are even easier now. If this is hard then back when they were bugged you would rage quit STO for a few days. I enjoyed those days because it was a challenge. The boss fights now are such a joke. 1 person could kill the boss alone and the rest can twiddle their thumbs.