Lt. Commander
# 1 Warp Nacelle Costume Pack Idea
01-29-2011, 07:50 AM
One thing I don't like about the current customization options in STO is that I cannot give a ship the "feel" of a ship designed in a particular era.

If seemed to me that one of the most signifying marks of the era is the design of the warp nacelle.

The TOS Enterprise and (mostly or all non-canon) other ships of its era have these round, cigarlike nacelles.
The Enterprise TMP and Enterprise A, the Reliant and the Stargazer hare a similar warp nacelle design.
The Enterprise D, its shuttles and the Nebula also share the same warp nacelle design.

But most nacelles in STO are fully unique. No ship has a warp nacelle like the Sovereign or the Majestic.

So what I would propose is a C-Store custome pack where the designers take some "popular" nacelles (based on canon references and on server statistics) and make them available across different ships (even at different tiers). I imagine this would require a notable amount of fine-tuning of the nacelle designs, as they need to be resized and get further modifications to work with the existing models, so it's probably a notable amount of work - and thus something worthy of C-Points from me and others.

Ideally, I would like something similar done for other ship parts (Saucers?), but that might be a lot harder to pull off.

Here are the nacelles I'd primarily be interested in:
  • TMP Enterprise Nacelles
  • Excelsior Nacelles
  • Galaxy Nacelles
  • Sovereign Nacelles

Are there other players interested in this? Or would it just not work since the stylistic differences are too big?
Lt. Commander
# 2
01-29-2011, 08:32 AM
Why not.
I would buy it.

Might look a tad ridiculous in some cases of course. (slapping on any type of nacelle on a Saber)
But it would rock to have Galaxy type nacelles on a Heavy Cruiser. Oh oh a Nimbus with Galaxy nacelles. So flat and adorable.
And the Defiant sits in a corner and cries.
Lt. Commander
# 3
01-29-2011, 08:39 AM
Hmm, not sure how to start off with this. I like where you're headed, but I'm not sure I like the idea itself. Personally, being able to put Sovereign-style nacelles on an Excelsior for example, to me personally, feels all wrong. Each ship has its own style, and I'm sure you know what I mean.

Now with that being said, here's my tweak to your idea. Unfortunately, it requires the same amount of work to customize everything, but I do agree with you that some nacelles really feel old. For my idea, I'm gonna use the Constitution refit nacelles as an example.

So originally, neither the grills nor the Bussards glowed. Cryptic made it so the grills now glow, but there is still no Bussard glow. So what if Cryptic added an option to every nacelle type to allow us to choose from a number of customization options. For example:

1) The normal and current Connie nacelle design.
2) Refit #1: A slight Bussard tweak to allow a glow, making it more current.
3) Refit #2: Adding a few tweaks to the nacelle itself, whether it be a change in the fins, a redesign of the grill itself or any other slightly more dramatic change.

I would accept this idea a bit more. I love the Excelsior class, but it bothers me that there's no Bussard glow. Even changing the glow of the frontmost grill from blue to red would be a welcome change. We'll see what other people think of your idea, but to me, ships are iconic because of the whole package.
Lt. Commander
# 4
01-29-2011, 08:41 AM
Don't the excelsior have like 4-6 different nacelles types?
Glowy and non glowy and semi glowy.
Lt. Commander
# 5
01-29-2011, 08:44 AM
Yeah, the T3 that I have has two options, glowy grill and non-glowy. So that's a start, but I'm talking about going a step further I guess. Haven't seen the T5 yet.

*EDIT*

And if they did it for the Excelsior, the code is there, they'd just have to expand it for other ships.
Lt. Commander
# 6
01-30-2011, 10:29 AM
The tech for different nacelles and ship parts shouldn't be the problem. Getting the different designs done and accepted by CBS done might be another matter.

It might be a reasonable limitation to allow only canon nacelle variants on non-canon ships, and not vice versa or stuff like Excelsiors with Enterprise Refit Nacelles (though Enterprise REfit with non-canon nacelles is possible already)
Lt. Commander
# 7
01-30-2011, 10:45 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by MustrumRidcully View Post
Getting the different designs done and accepted by CBS done might be another matter.
Yeah. I was going to do some 3d models of the different nacelles then create some modifications to demonstrate what I meant, but I thought I killed the thread lol. Anyway, I still might when I have the time.

Thinking of adding the Galaxy-class nacelles in there too, cause the clown nose Bussards bug me and I feel they need an update. But to each their own.
Lt. Commander
# 8
01-30-2011, 11:48 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by JG_Alexander
Hmm, not sure how to start off with this. I like where you're headed, but I'm not sure I like the idea itself. Personally, being able to put Sovereign-style nacelles on an Excelsior for example, to me personally, feels all wrong. Each ship has its own style, and I'm sure you know what I mean.

Now with that being said, here's my tweak to your idea. Unfortunately, it requires the same amount of work to customize everything, but I do agree with you that some nacelles really feel old. For my idea, I'm gonna use the Constitution refit nacelles as an example.

So originally, neither the grills nor the Bussards glowed. Cryptic made it so the grills now glow, but there is still no Bussard glow. So what if Cryptic added an option to every nacelle type to allow us to choose from a number of customization options. For example:

1) The normal and current Connie nacelle design.
2) Refit #1: A slight Bussard tweak to allow a glow, making it more current.
3) Refit #2: Adding a few tweaks to the nacelle itself, whether it be a change in the fins, a redesign of the grill itself or any other slightly more dramatic change.

I would accept this idea a bit more. I love the Excelsior class, but it bothers me that there's no Bussard glow. Even changing the glow of the frontmost grill from blue to red would be a welcome change. We'll see what other people think of your idea, but to me, ships are iconic because of the whole package.
Actually, the Excalibur class has Sovereign nacelles, and the Promethius class also has the same style. In both cases they were scaled to fit the ship. Also, the Vesper is the Excelsior style nacelles. The problem of kitbashing is at its core a scaleing issue. That is why Michael Okuda did not use standard Galaxy nacelles on the Cheyenne or Springfield classes. It is also part of why many people hate the DS9 kitbash ships such as the Intrepid Yeager and the Rage Queen.
Lt. Commander
# 9
01-30-2011, 11:55 PM
No, don't like the idea at all.

Make these options in the game in the shipyard. No reason something like this needs to be sold.

None-at-all.
Lt. Commander
# 10
01-31-2011, 12:03 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by SapphicZoid
No, don't like the idea at all.

Make these options in the game in the shipyard. No reason something like this needs to be sold.

None-at-all.
I see one primary reason for it to be sold - it requires work by one of the Graphics Guy and their CBS contact and does not give us any new useful content for stories. It is a perfect example of a cosmetic item that fits very well into C-Store.

Not that I wouldn't take it for free, but I don't think there is any reason for Cryptic to create it for the game. It will not spawn new missions or storyline ideas, it will not make a valuable art asset to be used in an upcoming episode, it does not provide a new type of gameplay. It's just like Open Jackets.