Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 1 Diligent Class
10-29-2010, 06:00 AM
I realize this starship is a fan fiction, but with the talk of doing a fan ship, I thought I'd toss this one out there.

I'm not sure of their real names, but the original design was done by ASR CO COVENTRY from Sci-Fi Meshes and the 3D Modeling was done by Medjai from Sci-Fi Meshes.

I think it would be a great addition to the Star Trek Online universe. I'm not sure what legal steps need to be taken, but it has become a popular ship amongst Star Trek role players.

Here is the link on Sci-Fi Meshes with posted dimensions by Medjai and a link to download the 3d Model.
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 2
10-29-2010, 07:43 AM
This is a great idea for an STO ship! Definetely would be a great choice for an Escort. Alot of people would be overjoyed to see some new escorts in game.

Good to see you Costigan. I'll be making a return to STO in about a month, maybe less. Is Horizon's Fleet still running or is it a ghost fleet?
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 3
10-29-2010, 08:11 AM
It's important to keep in mind that Cryptic can't use other people's ship designs without the permission of the creators (which generally requires payment) and CBS.
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 4
10-29-2010, 09:44 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by MalcomZiran View Post
This is a great idea for an STO ship! Definetely would be a great choice for an Escort. Alot of people would be overjoyed to see some new escorts in game.

Good to see you Costigan. I'll be making a return to STO in about a month, maybe less. Is Horizon's Fleet still running or is it a ghost fleet?
Horizon's is quiet, but log in and look me up, there are a few of that are still together.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cosmic_One View Post
It's important to keep in mind that Cryptic can't use other people's ship designs without the permission of the creators (which generally requires payment) and CBS.
I understand this, which is why I included information on the creators and mentioned that there would probably be some legalese that needed to take place. The scanning mini-game was purchased from a player, I don't see why they can't work out some arrangement with the creator. I mean, many RPG's use the graphics in their Play by Bulletin Board/E-Mail/Etc games. Maybe they only want acknowledgement and to see their ship come to life in the game!
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 5
10-31-2010, 05:57 AM
Unless the ship was published as part of an official contest (like the Luna for the Titan novel sereis) I have yet to see such a thing as a fandesign becoming part of (soft)-canon.
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 6
10-31-2010, 07:42 AM
Cryptic has said they plan to run a competition where players can submit a ship design that will make it into the game, if they don't contact this ship designer, I will and see if they will submit it as part of that contest. I think it was very well thought out and designed. A lot of work went into it and It would be great to recognize that by giving it life by being apart of STO.
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 7
11-01-2010, 05:26 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Costigan
I realize this starship is a fan fiction, but with the talk of doing a fan ship, I thought I'd toss this one out there.

I'm not sure of their real names, but the original design was done by ASR CO COVENTRY from Sci-Fi Meshes and the 3D Modeling was done by Medjai from Sci-Fi Meshes.

I think it would be a great addition to the Star Trek Online universe. I'm not sure what legal steps need to be taken, but it has become a popular ship amongst Star Trek role players.

Here is the link on Sci-Fi Meshes with posted dimensions by Medjai and a link to download the 3d Model.
::: Laughs .... I know Ed who created the original drawings for that ship.

It began as a 2-D model and was for use in the role-playing game "Alt-Starfleet-RPG" where I once wrote and "captained" an RPG team.

Quote:
Diligent-class Warship

The next-generation escort vessel, the Diligent has more range and sustained endurance in a fight than the Defiant or Thunderbolt. While not as hard-hitting as her predecessors in a concentrated forward attack, Diligent has the ability to sustain a higher sustained rate of energy transfer to her weapons systems and to engage more simultaneous targets than either. This means that her combat effectiveness is higher. The addition of limited point defense capability and enhanced electronic warfare systems also make her much more effective in preventing damage to ships that she is escorting.
Here are the original stats for that ship that were created for their timeline ... http://boi.alt-starfleet-rpg.com/Dil...tistics_Mark_I

And here are more images from their gallery ... http://alt-starfleet-rpg.net/4images...s.php?cat_id=1

I may not write with them any more (moved on to another group) but because it is the work of Ed Bell ... I feel they deserve the links and recognition.

Additional: Might as well include the following.

The following ships of the class are in service ...

* USS Diligent NCC-87651
* USS Resolute NX-87652 -attached to Orestes Station, Blue Fleet
* USS Allegiance NCC-87655
* USS Steadfast NCC-87659

And here is a link to the unit where the one used in RP is attached ... http://boi.alt-starfleet-rpg.com/Orestes_Station

You can see more ship designs used by ASR in their Bureau of Information website on this page ... http://boi.alt-starfleet-rpg.com/BuSHIPS

And ... Here are some other concept designs Ed has drawn up as "Beta" designs ... http://boi.alt-starfleet-rpg.com/Gal...f_Beta_Designs

It's worth browsing.

I'll now let you get back to your regularly scheduled thread.
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 8
11-01-2010, 05:46 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by mister_dee
Unless the ship was published as part of an official contest (like the Luna for the Titan novel sereis) I have yet to see such a thing as a fandesign becoming part of (soft)-canon.
There is a first time for everything as designs have to come from somewhere.
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 9
11-01-2010, 06:05 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by moonseye View Post
There is a first time for everything as designs have to come from somewhere.
People said I was a pessimist when, several months ago in a Caitian thread, I pointed out how slim the chance was to get the Kzinti ingame.
I pointed out it would probably not be possible for legal reasons and that similar problems had prevented other games, like SFC2, from using the name.
Interplay had to rename them Mirak and change a bit of history for that race.
People said the Kzinti would come no matter how many examples how difficult the legal situation would make it I mentioned.
I also said I want to be wrong but it's not that easy.
And unfortunately I was right.
I hope I'm wrong this time but when the ship was previously published somewhere else and not published as part of a contest for the first time I think it's going to be very difficult...
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 10
11-01-2010, 06:08 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by mister_dee
People said I was a pessimist when, several months ago in a Caitian thread, I pointed out how slim the chance was to get the Kzinti ingame.
I pointed out it would probably not be possible for legal reasons and that similar problems had prevented other games, like SFC2, from using the name.
Interplay had to rename them Mirak and change a bit of history for that race.
People said the Kzinti would come no matter how many examples how difficult the legal situation would make it I mentioned.
I also said I want to be wrong but it's not that easy.
And unfortunately I was right.
I hope I'm wrong this time but when the ship was previously published somewhere else and not published as part of a contest for the first time I think it's going to be very difficult...
However, that race you speak of was tied to other money making projects.

But regardless, it is a cool design and if nothing else might inspire others.
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 08:04 AM.