Lt. Commander
http://picasaweb.google.com/Z3R0B4NG...78429772869074

you know, that red glowy part on the necelle...
i am not sure what to think about that

it's not realy *canon*, but it looks REALY cool!
it is only visible on the ship in the ship yard but not on the actual playable ship
...IF the player ship will be updated (very much hope so ???) with this geometry, will it be optional?

maybe if the glass (or Transparent Aluminium?) was a little less transparent?

...thoughts?
Lt. Commander
# 2
01-30-2011, 01:49 PM
It's not as non-canon as you might think.
I've got a lagre cutaway-poster that shows that particular detail of the Galaxy Class.
I did a little search and someone else took a picture of his cutaway poster (even though it's a slightly different version than mine) so you can see for yourself what I mean.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/imranbe...ream/lightbox/
Lt. Commander
# 3
01-30-2011, 01:50 PM
I think it looks really cool. Perhaps we never saw it in the shows since the red glowie bit was much brighter in comparison to the ambient starlight, whereas inside the starbase it is lit up by spotlights so it's easier to see inside the nacelles...
Lt. Commander
# 4
01-30-2011, 01:53 PM
We've never seen it that close up either, in the show. So in space dock, looking at it THAT CLOSE, maybe that is how it looks.
Lt. Commander
# 5
01-30-2011, 01:55 PM
It's definitely a higher res, and looks beautiful. I'm not even a fan of the galaxy and I think it looks amazing.

Don't count on it being a player version, they can do a higher res stationary version because there won't be 50 of them all next to each other, just the one.
Lt. Commander
# 6
01-30-2011, 01:55 PM
The Bussard Collector?

That's how it's meant to look when the ship isn't moving under impulse.
Lt. Commander
# 7
01-30-2011, 04:22 PM
yeees the Bussard Collector! i knew that thing had a proper name i just couldn't remember it ;P

well it was never seen on screen like that... so no, a poster doesn't count as canon to me in that regard ;P
and don't tell me it does or i will go back to demanding Excelsior Necelles where the proper part glows Blue next!
(i still say making the black part glow blue in DS9 was a screw up by the CGI department, my AMT/ERTL kit has transparent plastic on the top and in the pics that is allways the part that is supposed to be blue ;P )

....under impuls, certain lighting conditions... yeah hmm ok... but -> NEVER ON SCREEN!

...anyway. as an OPTIONAL option... i would like to see it for Playerships, never as a replacement.

"they can do a higher res stationary version because there won't be 50 of them all next to each other"

i have a hard time believing we will ever see 50 Galaxy Class ships next to each other on one screen ;P

i know there is a polygon budget for ships, but seriously that 3 polygons won't bring down my FPS as hard as the 2D UI effect spam in PVP that only got worse with the introduction of klingon carrier pet spam,....
oooh better don't get me started on that...

The Galaxy Class still needs a lot more love for it to look like the on screen Ship.

What Captain Logan (rest in peace) did was a start... but it is still far from perfect.
Not that most of the other ships would be much better in that regard.
Lt. Commander
# 8
01-30-2011, 04:32 PM
Yeah, i'm assuming like Darren said, that the Bussard collectors are visible when the ship is going either very slowly or docked. In TOS we always saw that spinny thing so maybe it depends on the class of ship that we saw it.
Lt. Commander
# 9
01-30-2011, 04:36 PM
Well the difference is, the ship is powered down in spacedock, but it never is when we're controlling it. Even at a standstill the engines have power to them, and thus whatever field that thing emits causes the glow, and we can't see it.
Lt. Commander
# 10
01-30-2011, 04:44 PM
Actually the bussard collectors are kinda semi-canon
Look at the Galaxy class in the series, you can see two light glows where the bussard collectors would line up (in a behind the scenes why I'm guessing thats where the Models lights are to light up the bussard)

http://memory-alpha.org/wiki/Categor...s_starships%29

heres Gallery of Galaxy class shots, take a close look at the bussard collectors, notice how is most of the shots there are two light areas on the front.

I googled "Galaxy class + bussard collectors" (without quotes) and this thread is the second result. (at least on google.ca)