Lt. Commander
# 1 New Sovereign Bridge Set
01-30-2011, 11:29 PM
Today, I noticed that there is a new bridge pack that was snuck in recently that was specified for the Sovereign. And I thought this might be the a new authentic bridge set for the ship.
  • San Fransisco
  • Zimmerman
  • Eaves

I was anxious and went ahead and bought it, and what do I find? Just another redone paint job of a bridge set that we got shortly after launch, the:
  • Alliance
  • Ceremonial
  • Star Explorer
  • Diplomat

Bridge Sets.

Needless to say, I feel like I been scammed. And I am disappointed in paying for another rehash.
Lt. Commander
# 2
01-30-2011, 11:40 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Azurian View Post
Today, I noticed that there is a new bridge pack that was snuck in recently that was specified for the Sovereign. And I thought this might be the a new authentic bridge set for the ship.
  • San Fransisco
  • Zimmerman
  • Eaves

I was anxious and went ahead and bought it, and what do I find? Just another redone paint job of a bridge set that we got shortly after launch, the:
  • Alliance
  • Ceremonial
  • Star Explorer
  • Diplomat

Bridge Sets.

Needless to say, I feel like I been scammed. And I am disappointed in paying for another rehash.
Sorry to hear that. I hope you've learned a valuable lesson this time and wont fall prey to a similar item in the future.
Lt. Commander
# 3
01-30-2011, 11:43 PM
Quote:
  • Alliance
  • Ceremonial
  • Star Explorer
  • Diplomat

Bridge Sets.

I remember when we first got bridges, no one believed me when I said that those bridges were supposed to be Cryptic's representation of the Sovereign bridge, some didn't even believe me when I showed them a comparison shot between the actual Sovereign bridge and the super-inflated in-game version.

For what it's worth, those reskins do look better than the originals, but it's still too large for me to imagine using on anything smaller than that Jupiter-class dreadnaught. Seriously, that bridge is larger than most yachts.

Also, what's up with not even announcing it when they put it in the store last week?

EDIT: It also makes me sad that one of these bridges has John Eaves' (Star Trek ship designer) name tied to it. The scale of this room's structure (walls, floor, ceiling) is just wrong for anything other than an opera house (although I could say the same thing about the Cardassian bridge too). I half expect Statler & Waldorf from the Muppet Show to be manning one of the side balcony stations making jokes about how they can't see the screen or hear the captain b/c they're too far away
Lt. Commander
# 4
01-30-2011, 11:52 PM
I have no idea, but would it kill them to give us a normal bridge that is accurate?

I really don't buy the "Camera" issue, since we don't have problems with the cameras in the Rapier Bridge (which is tiny).
Lt. Commander
# 5
01-31-2011, 12:38 AM
Quote:
I have no idea, but would it kill them to give us a normal bridge that is accurate?

I really don't buy the "Camera" issue, since we don't have problems with the cameras in the Rapier Bridge (which is tiny).
There is no actual "Camera issue". There are areas in the 1st episode of the Devidian series where you can fight under (in the Cardassian messhall/sickbay/morgue/brig) that would be appropriate ceiling heights for a normal deck. The Klingon Carrier bridges have areas you can walk under (and also fight in) that are appropriately scaled. The camera is not a problem. It may be plausible that AI pathing may be an issue with small spaces, but then it doesn't really make sense to have these types of drawn-out gun battles on the main control center for your starship anyway. I won't say that there haven't been any examples of firefights on bridges in Star Trek, but typically if armed invaders make it to the bridge, the battle is already won. You don't fight on the bridge b/c if you do, you run the risk of 1) dying or 2) damaging some very important equipment that could lead back to point 1. You don't hold massive receptions on the bridge. That's what they have reception rooms, mess decks, or meeting rooms for.

That being said, the Rapier bridge is still "huge" considering it's supposed to be a Defiant-style bridge (the way it's laid out almost makes me think they could make a NX-01 bridge out of it). The Prometheus bridge is appropriately sized for an Enterprise-A or E bridge (it's supposed to be much smaller, but this way it seems appropriately sized for most ship classes).
Lt. Commander
# 6
01-31-2011, 04:41 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Direphoenix View Post
I remember when we first got bridges, no one believed me when I said that those bridges were supposed to be Cryptic's representation of the Sovereign bridge, some didn't even believe me when I showed them a comparison shot between the actual Sovereign bridge and the super-inflated in-game version.
OMG Lets hope the new sovereign bridges are better Oh and dont forget the struts, and make the captain close to his first officer so he doesn't need a megaphone to issue orders. :p
Lt. Commander
# 7
01-31-2011, 05:01 PM
does anyone have any screenies of the eaves bridge? I'd really like to see one of those.
Lt. Commander
# 8
01-31-2011, 05:35 PM
*does a b-e-a-u-t-i-f-u-l swan dive from the captains chair to an all female crew below* Weeeeee.

Oh come on... You know thats why it was made.
<--
Lt. Commander
# 9
01-31-2011, 06:05 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chat
*does a b-e-a-u-t-i-f-u-l swan dive from the captains chair to an all female crew below* Weeeeee.

Oh come on... You know thats why it was made.
<--
On a related note, while the raised dais of the Eaves neat visually, I can't help but think about how unpractical it is. With the frequency that these ships get rocked to and fro due to both enemy fire and wild maneuvers, you'd think they'd at least put handrails around that platform to keep the captain from falling three feet down.

Additionally, these bridges still haven't addressed the fact that you can't get to the top rear surface from the middle surface without jumping (not to mention the raised dais). It seems like it'd be highly annoying to walk down to the middle stations (or toward the viewscreen) and then have to do a lap all the way around the bridge to get back to your chair.
Lt. Commander
# 10
01-31-2011, 06:09 PM
Quote:
On a related note, while the raised dais of the Eaves neat visually, I can't help but think about how unpractical it is. With the frequency that these ships get rocked to and fro due to both enemy fire and wild maneuvers, you'd think they'd at least put handrails around that platform to keep the captain from falling three feet down.
Thats what the chest slider is for silly.

Quote:
Additionally, these bridges still haven't addressed the fact that you can't get to the top rear surface from the middle surface without jumping (not to mention the raised dais). It seems like it'd be highly annoying to walk down to the middle stations (or toward the viewscreen) and then have to do a lap all the way around the bridge to get back to your chair.
Indeed. And what does one need 4 extra chairs for?
"You are my number 1."
"You are number 2."
"I make you my number 3."
"Ah what the heck make it 4!"
Closed Thread