Lt. Commander
# 1 A moment of your time?
01-31-2011, 04:14 PM
Ok so i play eve online, but im a huge star trek fan. Ive been playing it for about 5 months. Not long at all.

I then found out about STO. I was wondering if this game is truly improving?

I hear when the game came out it was pretty bad, but i really like star trek, and i feel this game would be pretty cool. With the modeled out ships interiors, and such. I love that.

So are they improving this game? How big is the community? Is it like EVE where its only 1 server that everyone plays in?

I really would love some help cause depending on what answers i get i may or may not be buying this game within the night.

Im hoping i hear good things!

Thanks
Lt. Commander
# 2
01-31-2011, 04:16 PM
It's a lot better now than it was at launch. I'd go so far as to say it's at least worth $15 for the first month to try it out if you're a Star Trek fan.
Lt. Commander
# 3
01-31-2011, 04:18 PM
STO is pretty damn big. Im in Earth Spacedock right now on my main and I see like 60 people each instance at the moment. Inprovments are coming everyday. The STO team at Cryptic are dedicated to each and every customer of the MMO and are making the game more true to the star trek franchise each and every day. Dstahl really knows what hes doing and even though I've only been subbed for about 150 days I feel this game is truly going in the right direction and will be void of all the hatred it had at its launch.

<3
Lt. Commander
# 4
01-31-2011, 04:22 PM
It's not an amazingly fast pace of improvement, but if you enable the test server on your account and read the engineering reports and Q&A stuff you can at least see the direction things are going. It's been steady since I resubbed in October after quitting right after launch.

It is all one server, but it's heavily instanced - social zones spawn additional copies when over a certain number of players are in them, and most missions are private/team instances. There is automatic teaming (which you can disable) if you're doing a mission at the same time as somebody else.
Lt. Commander
# 5
01-31-2011, 04:23 PM
The game launched WAY too early; there arent many people that will deny that. And like most games, it still has its issues. That said, a ton of progress has been made since launch, and the Foundry(aka user generated content system) is coming out very soon which is going to be the biggest game changer STO has seen since launch.

Will you enjoy it or not? Only you can decide that. The answers your going to get here will be heavily biased, so I wouldnt base my decision on them. Instead, buy a cheap copy of the game, which comes with a free month and decide for yourself.
Lt. Commander
# 6
01-31-2011, 04:23 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Selfmadeboys
Ok so i play eve online, but im a huge star trek fan. Ive been playing it for about 5 months. Not long at all.

I then found out about STO. I was wondering if this game is truly improving?
Yes. some improvements take a while, but the game is improving.

Quote:
How big is the community?
It's a decent size. Not the millions that some MMO's boast, but the community is big enough to offer you plenty of options. PvE, PvP, RP, there's even a couple online radio stations dedicated to STO.

Quote:
Is it like EVE where its only 1 server that everyone plays in?
Technically yes. There are instances separating the zones, and several instances of the same zone (for example, there are usually 5-10 "Earth Spacedock" instances with 50-70 people in each one). All the players are on the same server though, and you can freely move between instances (unless it's full, of course).

Quote:
I really would love some help cause depending on what answers i get i may or may not be buying this game within the night.

Im hoping i hear good things!

Thanks
If you're considering the game, I'd suggest trying out the Demo. It'll let you do a couple missions, and give you a decent idea of what the game is like.

Also, there's a fairly large patch coming tomorrow with a few big updates, so you picked a good time to start playing.
Lt. Commander
# 7
01-31-2011, 04:31 PM
Personally I think the demo is useless. It's too short to really get a feel of much (though with the remastered stranded in space mission coming out tomorrow (?) there'll be some really awesome content in there). You can easily find the game under $10 with a full 30 days to try things out, which if you do this week would cover several missions of the next feature episode. $10 is a great deal even on an ok game, I've bought much worse games than STO for that and not felt particularly cheated.
Lt. Commander
# 8
01-31-2011, 04:34 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by The.Grand.Nagus View Post
The game launched WAY too early; there arent many people that will deny that. And like most games, it still has its issues. That said, a ton of progress has been made since launch, and the Foundry(aka user generated content system) is coming out very soon which is going to be the biggest game changer STO has seen since launch. Will you enjoy it or not? Only you can decide that. The answers your going to get here will be heavily biased, so I wouldnt base my decision on them. Instead, buy a cheap copy of the game, which comes with a free month and decide for yourself.
This ^^

STO has got better and better, so much so i recently (mid December) purchased a Life Time Subscription because i knew by that point i could see myself playing this for as long as i had with WoW (since June 2005). Regardless of the currently LTS sale, i'm not bitter since i do love this game
I'm in a great Fleet with some truly wonderful players, and i'm very happy with 99% of STO's community. This game still has a long way to go but it has also come such a long way since its release. I think the change with dstahl has been such a key factor (not that the rest of the team hasn't been a factor either, i think you are all doing a stellar job).
But like The Grand Nagus said. STO is currently cheap on Amazon (in the UK too), and if you are thinking about trying it, you get a free month after creating a account. See what you think, because i can only keep telling you how much i enjoy this game. I'd love to be on so much more but because of University, my weekday and sometime weekend play is limited. But i'm on when i can, and when i'm on i love every minute of it.
All you can do is try it, and go from there.
Lt. Commander
# 9
01-31-2011, 04:38 PM
I think the game has made huge improvements and the next big update coming in a few months will be even better, hopefully resolving my qualms with ground combat.

I've played EVE as well and enjoyed it to a degree although I find the combat in STO much more visceral and am such a huge trekkie that I can't help but love it when I go "Fire a tachyon beam from the main deflector, overload the forward phaser banks, quantum torpedoes full spread!".

A word of warning it isn't like a second life as EVE is, it's much more a game. You can go from one side of the galaxy to another within a half hour or so unlike EVE's several hours. However when sector space gets another revamping this may change, so we'll see.

Don't forget to post back here telling us what you think!
Lt. Commander
# 10
01-31-2011, 04:41 PM
Whatever you do, don't expect this to be EVE with Borg. You will be quickly and irreparably disappointed.

This is an entirely different game.

Other than that, my best and wholly honest advice is, don't expect too much. That way you'll be impressed with what deserves it instead of merely satisfied. I take the same approach and have been resubbing as money allows since I started playing last March. I do truly enjoy this game, and part of that is because I don't expect it to be mind-blowing. The end result? I'm having more fun then I ever did with WoW and have no plans on ending that any time soon.

Just don't lower your expectations too much, either. You don't want to lose sight of the things that need improving, else you'll never be able to help this game grow.