Lt. Commander
# 11
01-31-2011, 04:45 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Selfmadeboys
Ok so i play eve online, but im a huge star trek fan. Ive been playing it for about 5 months. Not long at all.

I then found out about STO. I was wondering if this game is truly improving?

I hear when the game came out it was pretty bad, but i really like star trek, and i feel this game would be pretty cool. With the modeled out ships interiors, and such. I love that.

So are they improving this game? How big is the community? Is it like EVE where its only 1 server that everyone plays in?

I really would love some help cause depending on what answers i get i may or may not be buying this game within the night.

Im hoping i hear good things!

Thanks
Heya Selfmadeboys,

Welcome to the ST:O Forums. 1st off, lemme say that St:O is nothing like Eve. I play both. Eve is more strategic in that every skill, item and ship affects things in a drastic way. In St:O there is not much variety to speak of. There are no Cap Ships to speak of in here as well.

There is no penalty if your ship gets blown up, nor do you loose Skill Points if you don't have an Insured Clone.

ST:O is significantly dumbed down and much easier to play. Heck, you can make max level in less than a month of hard time play. Where in Eve it takes a few months to get the skills learned at the level you need to be competitive.

The "Market" in ST:O is the Exchange and not alot of variety in there either. Ship Builds are simple and straight forward, and you can master building a ship in a matter of moments. The "Universe" is also significantly smaller, at least on the Klingon Side. As you can travel the entire length of it in about 10 minutes. Where in Eve, it can take you that long if not longer to travel from one end of a Region to the other.

PvP in this game is decent if you like to "sign up" and wait. But there is no way to "lay an ambush" or gate camp, as there is no open world PvP.

Mining is non-existent unless you consider "scanning" for samples mining. Also, you can't automate the scan process. It is very interactive in that aspect.

Missions are Rank based, meaning that as you Rank up more and more missions become available. And they are repeatable. However, there are only a few for the Klingons. They are not dependant on your Security Level or level of influence with a particular faction. Although, Feds can only do Fed missions, and Klingons can only do Klingon missions.

In my opinion, Eve requires more attention to detail. ST:O is great for "get in, get dirty, get out" type play. Eve takes longer to achieve certain things, ST:O is almost instant gratification.

Don't get me wrong here. Both are great games. Both are set in Space. Both use Ships. However, Eve is Eve, and ST:O is ST:O. Almost as far apart as Apples and Oranges.

Eve is more long term play, where ST:O is quicker paced.

I do play both. And enjoy both. But each one offers different things.

Thanks,
Marko
Lt. Commander
# 12
01-31-2011, 04:46 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jexsam View Post
Whatever you do, don't expect this to be EVE with Borg. You will be quickly and irreparably disappointed.

This is an entirely different game.

Other than that, my best and wholly honest advice is, don't expect too much. That way you'll be impressed with what deserves it instead of merely satisfied. I take the same approach and have been resubbing as money allows since I started playing last March. I do truly enjoy this game, and part of that is because I don't expect it to be mind-blowing. The end result? I'm having more fun then I ever did with WoW and have no plans on ending that any time soon.

Just don't lower your expectations too much, either. You don't want to lose sight of the things that need improving, else you'll never be able to help this game grow.

Yeah this definitely. EVE is a very very mature MMO with a quite different outlook on the way it should be played. Don't expect EVE but try to have fun doing the things that STO lets you do which EVE does not.
Lt. Commander
# 13
01-31-2011, 05:08 PM
It's not perfect but it's definitely improving. STO is, IMO, much more a PvE game than Eve is. Yes, it does have some PvP but it's much more limited and not really one of the game's strengths. If you're heavy into PvP and coming from Eve, you might find the PvP disappointing.

That said, I myself am really a PvE player, so most of my own experience is from that point of view. I've been with the game from sometime in the closed Beta, and I really do think it's getting better. Initially, my own feelings were that the game had potential, but just didn't have enough 'Trek' content. The balance of content was too much 'generic' kill X missions and not enough exploration, diplomacy and general problem-solving stuff like you'd see on a Trek episode. While it seems this will always be the case to some extent (automated RPGs just have more focus on running combat, which a computer excels at, whereas live GMs are much more suited to rich storytelling), the dev team really has made some strides in giving us more quality content.

The 'weekly episodes' have been great series, IMO. They all excel at providing fun and interesting stories, giving you some problem-solving puzzles, great Trek atmosphere and some neat rewards. The only downside is the quantity. You can play through the episodes, then find yourself looking around for more. This is something that is improving as they add more and more episodes, but it's a slow process. Still, it's this quality of content, IMO, that the game really needs, and I believe they're on the right track and doing a great job making what they are now. DStahl's team is really doing some great work at expanding the content and making it much more 'quality Trek.'
Lt. Commander
# 14 I say STO is going great!
01-31-2011, 06:08 PM
It has really improved sinse Headstart / Launch!

And STO is just getting better by each Season release!
Lt. Commander
# 15
01-31-2011, 06:13 PM
It always makes me laugh when people say "its improving". Seriously, what game that is getting regular updates ISNT improving? That statement applies to pretty much every MMO. Even SWG has been improving SINCE the NGE. But thats not really saying much.
Lt. Commander
# 16
02-01-2011, 08:30 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Philoso_Raptor
It always makes me laugh when people say "its improving". Seriously, what game that is getting regular updates ISNT improving? That statement applies to pretty much every MMO. Even SWG has been improving SINCE the NGE. But thats not really saying much.
LOL! That is a valid, if humorous, point. Every MMO that I am currently playing is "improving"
Lt. Commander
# 17
02-01-2011, 08:41 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Philoso_Raptor
as it makes me laugh when people compare one game to another. while i dont agree with it, and while i see your point, the same needs to be said for comparing games then.

until then, comparing how it was (launch), and how it is now (season 3), is an "improvement."
Lt. Commander
# 18
02-01-2011, 08:53 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Selfmadeboys
Ok so i play eve online, but im a huge star trek fan. Ive been playing it for about 5 months. Not long at all.

I then found out about STO. I was wondering if this game is truly improving?

I hear when the game came out it was pretty bad, but i really like star trek, and i feel this game would be pretty cool. With the modeled out ships interiors, and such. I love that.

So are they improving this game? How big is the community? Is it like EVE where its only 1 server that everyone plays in?

I really would love some help cause depending on what answers i get i may or may not be buying this game within the night.

Im hoping i hear good things!

Thanks
This is a difficult question to answer because in answering it - I could unintentionally encourage you to spend your hard earned money on the game. I think the best way to answer this would be the following.

Please note each of these are examples of far broader issues.

- Could the game have managed to get worse? In all likelihood, no. So yes, after a year just enough has been done to make the game slightly better. That could only be expected.

- The game still is made by the same Company that made Champions Online, a Failure by all standards, and it is very much Champions Online wrapped in a "Star Trek" skin.

The game fails on so many levels.

The content is weak, with most of the missions only seeming to throw a word or two that Fans would recognize into the text, otherwise very very few missions actually feel anything like Star Trek, it could be any Sci-Fi game.

The bugs are legendary and all over the place. Bugs that have existed continue to this day, some are game breaking, others just make the game annoying.

The game looks horrible. Everything appears to have been rushed. Even the uniforms have horrible clipping problems

There is no source material to help you discover how to play the game, no inside game mechanics to help explain to you whats better, a purple shield VI or a green shield XI, though it would seem clear, it's not and all to often logic is not good enough.

The AI is spotty at best.

Did I mention content issues? If I did, it's now been discussed more times then it appears in the actual game. You can max your character in a month and be left with half a dozen mission to do over, and over and over and over again. And yes, they are THE SAME missions each and every time. They are mindless and will suck the intelligence from your brain. The rest of the end game content is bugged and poorly designed, but they are currently working on it.

The PvP? Well, most people don't even bother with it. If you stick to Fed vs Fed you might have a few enjoyable matches, but the queues are extremely slow, you could be waiting an hour to play.

On the plus side, the space areas now look like space.

And if you like to spend extra money - the C-Store has all the little intangelbles that you would have liked to have seen in the game, the small things that kinda matter and make the game "appear" more Star Trek. Items like,

Ship Bridges, however, not a single one is what it should look like. Each one you buy will be a *******ization of the bridge you were expecting. Not to mention that they are poorly done. Consoles that are placed on the models crooked, hovering off the surface, etc. And everything has this dirty look to it, as if the world was subjected to a soot storm for the last 20 years. Not the crisp, clear, colorful sci-fi look you will be use too.

Support? Non-existent. In my first two months I must have sent in 50 tickets, hoping to help make a difference, I got two form letter responses, and one actual response that unfortunately never did help resolve the problems. The one Mod on the Forums I PM'd just ignored the message. So don't expect any help with any issues you may have.

So is the game better? People say it is, so I guess it must be. I mean it does look like space now, so that's better. And you can buy alot more stuff.
Lt. Commander
# 19
02-01-2011, 09:04 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by SapphicZoid
This is a difficult question to answer because in answering it - I could unintentionally encourage you to spend your hard earned money on the game. I think the best way to answer this would be the following.

Please note each of these are examples of far broader issues.

- Could the game have managed to get worse? In all likelihood, no. So yes, after a year just enough has been done to make the game slightly better. That could only be expected.

- The game still is made by the same Company that made Champions Online, a Failure by all standards, and it is very much Champions Online wrapped in a "Star Trek" skin.

The game fails on so many levels.

The content is weak, with most of the missions only seeming to throw a word or two that Fans would recognize into the text, otherwise very very few missions actually feel anything like Star Trek, it could be any Sci-Fi game.

The bugs are legendary and all over the place. Bugs that have existed continue to this day, some are game breaking, others just make the game annoying.

The game looks horrible. Everything appears to have been rushed. Even the uniforms have horrible clipping problems

There is no source material to help you discover how to play the game, no inside game mechanics to help explain to you whats better, a purple shield VI or a green shield XI, though it would seem clear, it's not and all to often logic is not good enough.

The AI is spotty at best.

Did I mention content issues? If I did, it's now been discussed more times then it appears in the actual game. You can max your character in a month and be left with half a dozen mission to do over, and over and over and over again. And yes, they are THE SAME missions each and every time. They are mindless and will suck the intelligence from your brain. The rest of the end game content is bugged and poorly designed, but they are currently working on it.

The PvP? Well, most people don't even bother with it. If you stick to Fed vs Fed you might have a few enjoyable matches, but the queues are extremely slow, you could be waiting an hour to play.

On the plus side, the space areas now look like space.

And if you like to spend extra money - the C-Store has all the little intangelbles that you would have liked to have seen in the game, the small things that kinda matter and make the game "appear" more Star Trek. Items like,

Ship Bridges, however, not a single one is what it should look like. Each one you buy will be a *******ization of the bridge you were expecting. Not to mention that they are poorly done. Consoles that are placed on the models crooked, hovering off the surface, etc. And everything has this dirty look to it, as if the world was subjected to a soot storm for the last 20 years. Not the crisp, clear, colorful sci-fi look you will be use too.

Support? Non-existent. In my first two months I must have sent in 50 tickets, hoping to help make a difference, I got two form letter responses, and one actual response that unfortunately never did help resolve the problems. The one Mod on the Forums I PM'd just ignored the message. So don't expect any help with any issues you may have.

So is the game better? People say it is, so I guess it must be. I mean it does look like space now, so that's better. And you can buy alot more stuff.
This is an example of those overly high expectations I mentioned you should avoid.

I'll use the "looks horrible" as an example of a gross exaggeration. There are some minor clipping issues, sure. Enough to notice. But have you seen this thing on max graphical settings? It looks in-effing-credible.
Lt. Commander
# 20
02-01-2011, 09:07 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jexsam View Post
This is an example of those overly high expectations I mentioned you should avoid.

I'll use the "looks horrible" as an example of a gross exaggeration. There are some minor clipping issues, sure. Enough to notice. But have you seen this thing on max graphical settings? It looks in-effing-credible.
I can appreciate that is your opinion and as such means as much as anyones, including my own. But no, nothing I said was "overly high" in the expectations dept. In fact, I can make the comments I have because my expectations don't match up to the "norm" I find and have seen elsewhere. And that is why it is such a huge fail.

Yes, everything is set to max settings. I won't settle for less. Still looks shoddy to me. Sorry, that's how I feel. No matter how high my resoution or AA is set, it won't make up for poor quality work, ie. crooked consoles, clipping, textures not fit correctly... and that grime that looks rubbed into the carpets and walls of everything. That dull, grey smear that just rests in every surface of the game. Ugh.

But none of these should overshadow the poor game mechanics and play or the lack of content.