Lt. Commander
# 21
02-01-2011, 09:21 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Philoso_Raptor
It always makes me laugh when people say "its improving". Seriously, what game that is getting regular updates ISNT improving? That statement applies to pretty much every MMO. Even SWG has been improving SINCE the NGE. But thats not really saying much.
Easy answer, after two years of regular updates, SWG had managed to get worse, it might have improved a bit since then but it's debatible if it's gotten as good as it was earlier.

...it might be the only answer but you made it easy by having it in the question!
Lt. Commander
# 22
02-01-2011, 09:29 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by AshlingOnline
Easy answer, after two years of regular updates, SWG had managed to get worse, it might have improved a bit since then but it's debatible if it's gotten as good as it was earlier.

...it might be the only answer but you made it easy by having it in the question!
He never said it was better than it was before, only that it has been improving since the NGE happened. And that is true. Thats the same as saying New Orleans has been improving since Katrina happened. That doesnt mean its better than it was before, but its still been improving. And thats the point; every MMO is improving, so thats not really saying much.
Lt. Commander
# 23
02-01-2011, 09:36 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by The.Grand.Nagus View Post
He never said it was better than it was before, only that it has been improving since the NGE happened. And that is true.
I know his point and one example where it doesn't stand up doesn't make his point in any way invalid but when talking about SWG, you can't say just say "it's been improving", you'd have to say it's "been improving since the NGE". A little difference there
Lt. Commander
# 24
02-01-2011, 09:40 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by AshlingOnline
I know his point and one example where it doesn't stand up doesn't make his point in any way invalid but when talking about SWG, you can't say just say "it's been improving", you'd have to say it's "been improving since the NGE". A little difference there
And thats exactly what he said, so what are you disagreeing with?
Lt. Commander
# 25
02-01-2011, 09:50 AM
I wasn't disagreeing, I was posting less then seriously that his point "it's improving" covers every game that has regular updates doesn't actualy work for the example he then used, because you have to add extra context to any descripton of SWG to say from when it's been improving, "its improving" by itself doesn't work.
Lt. Commander
# 26
02-01-2011, 09:55 AM
I really wish that I could disagree with a single word that SapphicZoid has posted in this thread.

But I just can't.

Every single thing she said is absolutely true.
Lt. Commander
# 27
02-01-2011, 09:58 AM
Here is my $0.02:
I played Eve for a long time, grew a couple of corps, managed production, mining, and accounting using our POS and labs. The aliance had 0.0 space, so we mined there and used jump freighters to bring ore, etc back to high sec for building.

STO is none of those things...

I played this game a couple of months last February, went back to Eve, got tired of that career, and moved back here. I cancled the Eve subcriptions and plan on staying here.

STO is a game, plain and simple and I like paying it. No grievers, no pirates, and no ninja looters.
Yeah, there are issues, but aren't there always?
Overall, this game is more relaxing and I really like it because of that.

Again, just my $0.02.
Lt. Commander
# 28
02-01-2011, 10:00 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by SapphicZoid
- The game still is made by the same Company that made Champions Online, a Failure by all standards, and it is very much Champions Online wrapped in a "Star Trek" skin.
Having recently started playing Champs again, that is completely untrue. The mechanics STO and Champs feel nothing alike. Champs(at least millenium city) feels like an open world while STO seems very boxed in. Furthermore, combat in Champs is nothing like in STO. The only thing these 2 games really have in common is good character customization.
Lt. Commander
# 29
02-01-2011, 10:04 AM
You can pick up a copy cheap and get a free months play. A lot of players are bored with STO before their first month was up. There isn't a lot to do when you reach level cap. If you are a Star Trek fan you will probably like it.

You said you came from EVE a lot of players there love to PVP. The PVP here is very limited so it may disappoint you.
Lt. Commander
# 30
02-01-2011, 10:05 AM
I can't say I've seen much appreciable change in the gameplay, which is the biggest drawback to the game in my opinion. As much as I didn't like the old Sector Space and whatnot, being stuck on rails inside a box really frustrates me, particularly when everything is so repetitive that I found myself wondering if the Devs had some obsession with the number 5. (Kill 5 groups, Scan 5 things, Scan 1 thing, then Scan 4 more things, Kill 2 groups then kill 3 more groups...)

Some of the newer weekly episodes have started to think about maybe changing it to be more interesting, but that doesn't do anything about the other 99% of the game. SapphicZoid is right though, space does finally look like space and that is certainly a major visual improvement.