Lt. Commander
I have been in the beta and I like the game then got bored about couple of months later i tried a trial of the game and it still had some problems. After all this time i kinda want to get back in but my question to all of you that have been playing for almost a year. What are the big improvements and new things they have added?
Lt. Commander
# 2
01-31-2011, 06:11 PM
Fantastic weekly episodes, new crafting, newer ships, daily missions .... what were you looking for specifically?
Lt. Commander
# 4
01-31-2011, 06:16 PM
Grand Nagus, search engine of STO, now with 25% more sarcasm! (though I did miss the fact you left any out of this one.) Thanks, you probably saved me a infraction point by posting before me.

To the OP, thanks for not putting "I'm back" in your title.
Lt. Commander
# 5
01-31-2011, 06:20 PM
I just came back after several months myself. I've seen some big improvements so far.
  • Ship interiors
  • Sector space improvements
  • Crafting improvements
  • Diplomacy missions (which I had a lot of fun with today)
  • Feature episode series (The 3rd launches this week. Can't wait to play the Breen series. I loved the Breen in DS9.)

Also, this week they're replacing the Earth Space dock with the original mushroom shaped Spacedock from the original movies (And some TNG I think). The new interior releases this week (and it looks amazing from screenshots I've seen) with the exterior releasing soon thereafter. I especially liked the massive scale Galaxy that flys by the windows of the interior). Playable shuttles are also supposed to launch this week.

I must say I'm impressed with the progress Cryptic has made in the 6 or so months since I last played.
Lt. Commander
# 6
01-31-2011, 08:09 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by shikamaru317 View Post
I just came back after several months myself. I've seen some big improvements so far.
  • Ship interiors
  • Sector space improvements
  • Crafting improvements
  • Diplomacy missions (which I had a lot of fun with today)
  • Feature episode series (The 3rd launches this week. Can't wait to play the Breen series. I loved the Breen in DS9.)

Also, this week they're replacing the Earth Space dock with the original mushroom shaped Spacedock from the original movies (And some TNG I think). The new interior releases this week (and it looks amazing from screenshots I've seen) with the exterior releasing soon thereafter. I especially liked the massive scale Galaxy that flys by the windows of the interior). Playable shuttles are also supposed to launch this week.

I must say I'm impressed with the progress Cryptic has made in the 6 or so months since I last played.
I saw a video about an couple of hours ago about the new interior of the Earth Space dock which i think feels more trek.

Hows the Diplomacy missions?
Anything new with the ground combat or space combat?
Lt. Commander
# 7
01-31-2011, 08:24 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by ace2020boyd View Post
I saw a video about an couple of hours ago about the new interior of the Earth Space dock which i think feels more trek.

Hows the Diplomacy missions?
Anything new with the ground combat or space combat?
Diplomacy missions are nice but they mostly require grinding a few dailies or repeatable exploration missions to access beyond the six or so starter diplomacy missions.

Ground combat is getting its overhaul in three months, in terms of mechanics, but the Featured Episodes have mostly been making better use of the existing system with improved enemy AI/coordination and some thematic things like optional profession-specific changes and some tricky ways to avoid combat by luring enemies into rooms and locking them in, that kind of thing.
Lt. Commander
# 8
01-31-2011, 09:31 PM
I'm not sure if anything was really "big". there have certainly been improvements, rather good ones, but I think the improvements have been more quantity, than anyone thing being game changing.

Aside from some well done cosemtic changes, I still feel like I'm playing more or less the same game I was playing during head start, just with a few more things to do or to go...but I havent felt that the scope of the game has expanded all that much.

I'm really hoping the next year brings a true expansion of experiences, interactions, Trek immersion and player impact on the environment, etc, etc.

Expanding KDF sector access, weekly episodes and to a minor extent, KDF crafting have been critical improvements for me.

Much appreciated improvements was the re-do of sector space, the supply raids (were nice distractions, though their repeativness got monotonous quick), the improvements to the Carrier and its pets.
Lt. Commander
# 9
01-31-2011, 10:31 PM
Has there been sizable improvement in regards to content?
52 missions added since launch. Your mileage may vary but that's quite substantial compared to a year's worth of non-expansion pack updates in most MMOs.

Has there been sizable improvement in regards to user interfaces?
The PvP menu, crafting menu, sector space, inventory, remote contacts and journal interfaces have all been improved since launch.

Has there been sizable improvement in regards to PvP?
Not much aside from PvP Interface redesigns, a new map, and balance changes.

Has there been a sizable improvement in regards to character/ship customization?
From in-game items (off-duty wear, new T5 ships), etc. to the c-store, there have been dozens of additions (as well as fixes). The Klingons received the most in-game updates since launch but mostly because their options were so lacking to begin with.

Has there been sizable improvement to the Klingon Faction compared to launch/beta?
The following have been added:
  • Exploration Clusters
  • More fleet actions
  • More PvE Episodes (8 KDF-only ones with dozens of faction-agnostic missions).
  • More clothing options
  • More ships (all but one are availble in-game)
Lt. Commander
# 10 Come on back
01-31-2011, 10:55 PM
Nobody said anything about the soon to be relased foundry where you can play and make yor own missions. It is bound to hit the live server soon and some really really good missions have been made on the test server. Lots of great improvments i have been playing since beta too, it is a hell of alot less buggy. And ship balancing has been improved.
I would give it another shot if i was you.