Lt. Commander
This is a question pretty much like it says. I'm getting to end game where the borg are and I'm pondering upgrading weapons. Which armor/weapons in ground action are the best for borgbusting? How about in space?
Lt. Commander
# 2
02-01-2011, 11:32 AM
For space, Antiproton, disruptor (when playing in a team) and plasma are always good choices when trying to do damage. I would also recommend avoiding Phaser, Tetryon, and Polaron, as the Borg have redundant ship systems that counteract how well these weapon types work on them.

For ground, there isn't too much to know, just try and use Antiproton or Plasma weapons to do damage. If you want to feel fancy, try Polaron to disable their weapons but be warned they can still melee you for a fair bit of damage.
Lt. Commander
# 3
02-01-2011, 11:55 AM
Some borg are more dangerous melee than ranged.

In addition to the above, at Battlegroup Omega, for marks of valor (obtained in STFs, you can also trade down VA emblems for them) there are mk X purple weapons with a special [Borg] modifier. They do less raw damage than the mk XI purple weaopns you can craft or buy with emblems, but they have a chance on hit to do heavy radiation damage to borg targets.

If you're specifically gearing for STFs, they might be worth it, but for more general play you run into numerous races in the exploration sectors, and the bulk of the repeatable content right now is against Breen and Cardassians/Jem'haddar, and in a few weeks there will probably be Romulan dailies associated with the upcoming feature episodes. Against those enemies, the anti-borg weapons underperform, since you're losing one of the rarity bonuses.
Lt. Commander
# 4
02-01-2011, 12:33 PM
For ground, I like the shield with knockback and 800% regen. For armor, I actually have a couple that I switch in and out of. Like the borg, it is advantageous to be "adaptive". On my tac, I carry multiple kits, weapons, and armor. If there is no healer on the team, I usually equip energy dampening armor. Like in space, the borg can hit you with a shield drainer on the ground as well. Without shields, it's up to your armor to protect you. With a healer on the team, I can either go pollyweave or physical augmentation. Sometimes the eilte and heavy tac drones become immune to energy damage, and you have go at 'em with a bat'leth.

Which brings me to ground weapons. Anti-proton sniper rifle is my standard. On switch, I can go with bat'leth or auto assault.

And don't forget to have more than 1 kit. A single kit doesn't always work for every situation.
Lt. Commander
# 5
02-01-2011, 01:40 PM
I'm getting that on STF's AoE weapons are a big no no in borg fighting.. How about in standard missions?
Lt. Commander
# 6
02-01-2011, 01:54 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by jennjahn View Post
I'm getting that on STF's AoE weapons are a big no no in borg fighting.. How about in standard missions?
AOE is fine with standard missions, like B'tran. The only exception is in the Assimilated mission (Undine front), where you either don't shoot any of the borg, or you have to be very careful what you are shooting at. I actually go with Bat'leth for this mission mostly because there is no way to accidentally shoot a borg.
Lt. Commander
# 7
02-01-2011, 01:57 PM
In standard missions they're great. Usually. There aren't tightly spaced groups, and unless you're playing on elite the incoming damage isn't as high. Plus solo you can stack an engineer heavy away team with lots of turrets, which gives lots of targets to distribute agro on.

I use AOE in STFs all the time, mainly split beams like I mentioned. It's not a big no-no, but you do have to be responsible with it. I have managed to make things much harder on my fleetmates than they had to be by clipping another group with it.
Lt. Commander
# 8
02-01-2011, 02:25 PM
I like this thread. Since there isn't a STF or Borg fighting guide, this will have to do.

So the antiproton and plasma weapons work well against them in space and on the ground. Is it worth it to fit out the whole away team with this weapon type while fighting solo in missions?
I did assimilated mission to get the console. That took forever and I realized that I am doing something wrong considering the amount of times that I respawned. I can't think what the STF's are like.

Any more info would be great...
Lt. Commander
# 9
02-01-2011, 03:28 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cleto_Deadman
I like this thread. Since there isn't a STF or Borg fighting guide, this will have to do.

So the antiproton and plasma weapons work well against them in space and on the ground. Is it worth it to fit out the whole away team with this weapon type while fighting solo in missions?
I did assimilated mission to get the console. That took forever and I realized that I am doing something wrong considering the amount of times that I respawned. I can't think what the STF's are like.

Any more info would be great...
You can find some advice for Infected here:
http://forums.startrekonline.com/sho...d.php?t=196118
Lt. Commander
# 10
02-02-2011, 11:28 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Latinumbar
You can find some advice for Infected here:
http://forums.startrekonline.com/sho...d.php?t=196118
Just what I needed. Thanks for that...