Lt. Commander
You give us the ability to use the old TOS and NX-01 ships for beginners. But they are no good after that. LtCom, Com, & Capt all do not get anything. We have to wait until Admiral before we can get or purchase anything different. It would be nice to at least be able to have different costumes/retrofits in the other ranks as well. I know Admirals get most of the love cause many get to Admiral so fast so you want to please them first and foremost. But come on... really?
Lt. Commander
# 2
02-01-2011, 07:44 AM
I used my NX up to Commander, and my Tier-2 Nova Class up to RA-LH (as Primary ships) . Depending on play style, load out, and consoles, you can make them more powerful and more than a match for most NPCs.

When you develop the play style to make lower tier ships good weapons at more advanced levels, it makes using the proper tier ship (for your level) a walk in the park.
Lt. Commander
# 3
02-01-2011, 08:46 AM
I tried my Constitution out as a VA against the Breen. It worked, it just took a lot of time. I don't think it would be a good idea to work on mid-tier versions of all the ships. Either a complete redesign to a tier-less system or a system to craft our own T5 refits would be better. T5 can be reached very quickly.
Lt. Commander
# 4
02-01-2011, 09:12 AM
Don't ask me to source my statement, as I honestly don't remember where I saw it, but I do recall reading that somewhere on the dev's to-do list is the ability to upgrade ships to different tiers - so you could have, say, an NX-class or an Excalibur-class that could stand alongside a VA-level Galaxy.

I know that there are people who pull lower-tier ships along through, and I personally have a plan to run an engineer officer through the entire game with an NX-class, so it's doable now - this would just make lower-tier ships more comparable to the standard tier ships. (Though I more than suspect that there will be compromises made - you won't get as many weapon and/or console slots as you would by upgrading to the standard ships in the tier you're refitting to.)
Lt. Commander
# 5 hmm
02-01-2011, 09:21 AM
This was speculation and discuss that refiting ships or rather tweaking them at va level would be possible. i believe that if everyone should go through the rains of becoming a rear admiral. This is star trek and you should experience the hardship of being a captain in a ship of your choosing or career choice. this isnt easy trek where you go around and pew pew pew things in a god ship.

I say learn how to play and focus on your skills and abilities just like all of the VA admirals did when they first started. I remember when i was in a nova and had to work my ass off to pass missions and defeat enemy contacts and learn when to fight and when to retreat. You should as well learn the ropes. Sorry but i dont think such a thing such as having a better ship should happen. You learn to work with what you are given. hell harry kim had a nova class ship and took on not one but two negvhar's so stow the BS can become a better captain. if you need help i dont mind helping you understand the ropes. you can message me ingame
Lt. Commander
# 6
02-01-2011, 11:53 AM
Personally, I would really like to see more ship options particularly at teir 1 (if only cosmetic options). I know there are a lot of people who love the Miranda, but I absolutely hate it and I don't feel the other skins are any better. But thats just a personal cosmetic issue I have, as painfully slow as the teir one ship is its adequate for the level range it serves. I would like to see a system though that lets me keep my ship through out the game though. I'm sure the retrofits will cover a wider range of ships, but it would be nice to see a system that lets my ship rank up in ability too (higher level offer slots as you move up in rank for example). I know people say that their teir 2 ships can last them the entire game but I want my ship to grow with my character.