Lt. Commander
So is anyone else wondering why the Hologram/Android races keep getting delayed?

Personally I'm so excited to play as a hologram that I bought like 4 extra costume slots. (Finally a good reason to have a completely different looking avatar for each day of the week)

Is it just balance reasons they're delayed? Worries about how you heal a machine? What do you think?

As for further speculation, do you think Holograms will be limited to human features, or have more of the alien gen opened up to them? What about some of the race specific things, like the Trill spots in places besides the head? Technically they could look like anyone, the only question is how Cryptic is going to limit it.

I dunno, I'm just interested in what other people are thinking at this point.
Lt. Commander
# 2
02-01-2011, 07:29 AM
i dont think they have ever been technically delayed as i dont recall them ever giving a time frame for them.

they probably have just not got round to doing them yet or have more important stuff to get done first.

i never really understood the appeal of holograms or androids. you can make any character you like and pretend its a hologram, or use a white skin for an android. unless they are going to give them something truly unique visually or ability wise or make them free i dont see the point of either of them really.
Lt. Commander
# 3
02-01-2011, 07:32 AM
Yea i have to say don't think they ever said for sure they were even going to do em, personally dont see what the big deal about em would be its not like they will be in the shows anyways.
Lt. Commander
# 4
02-01-2011, 07:50 AM
I don't remember that they ever said we will get them for sure. They were thinking about adding them but last time I heard about this was last summer/autumn. So... we can get them tomorrow (won't happen), next year (maybe) or never (maybe).

As they have never been mentioned in the Engineering Report I doubt they are currently working on it.
Lt. Commander
# 5
02-01-2011, 07:52 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vampir888 View Post

As they have never been mentioned in the Engineering Report I doubt they are currently working on it.
They have been. check the bottom of the latest one.

but they are under long term goals, so they are just letting us know its something they are thinking about.
Lt. Commander
# 6
02-01-2011, 08:01 AM
They're stuck in "Long Term" purgatory along with improved hair tech, Benzite and Caitian BOs, extra factions etc. etc. etc.
Lt. Commander
# 7
02-01-2011, 08:04 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by dstahl View Post
Greetings!

Welcome to 2011! We are only a few weeks away from Star Trek Online's 1 Year Anniversary, and the team is as busy as ever! The development team continues to operate at Warp 9, continuing to develop new free content updates and features. The team is happy with how far the game improved in 2010 and this next year promises to bring even more exciting features to look forward to...

Long Term
Designs and features being considered for updates further in the future
  • Converting First Officer to Playable Captain
  • Fleet Starbases
  • Fleet Action Updates
  • More Fleet Actions
  • More PVP Maps
  • Updated Game Tutorial and ability to skip it
  • More iconic locations such as Starfleet Academy, Rura Penthe etc...
  • Explorable Sol System
  • Improved Social Planets with social gameplay
  • More Minigames
  • More Borg parts for AlienGen
  • Ability to construct new ships at Starbases
  • Territory Control War
  • Deepspace Exploration Concept
  • Additional Playable Factions (Romulan, Cardassian...)
  • Android species
  • Aenar species
  • Talaxian species
  • Hologram species
  • Improved Hair Tech
Here we are.. No dates projected though.
Lt. Commander
# 8
02-01-2011, 08:04 AM
it just says android species. no mention of it even being a playable race. maybe as a BO only race then.

however, some time back (and i know things change) there was a thread were a dev posted (i think it was stahl) where it was mentioned that there was no considering a "playable" android race. but like i said, times change, and maybe they are considering it. who knows.
Lt. Commander
# 9
02-01-2011, 09:16 AM
You're right, they never had a time frame for release or anything, but I thought that they had been listed as "under development" at some point in an engineering report, though after a look back over the last few engineering reports I see that, no, I was mistaken, they have always appeared under "in design discussion" until January when they were under "long term"

I still really want them though.
Lt. Commander
# 10
02-01-2011, 09:22 AM
It's under "Long Term" in the notes...

Which means you should wait a few years.