Lt. Commander
# 11
02-01-2011, 09:24 AM
It clearly seems to me the poster wrote a topic in english to try to discuss the situation with other english speaking players. Regardless what the subject matter is, that appears to be the intent and it was in English.

What happened seems to be, "I know you're German, so get back in your place!" Not cool.
Lt. Commander
# 12
02-01-2011, 09:28 AM
Really? There is a thread about this? If I posted something in German forum about the original issue and was told to post it in the American forum I would say ok, that makes sense. People are too touchy, what about me... what about my feelings type deal. Seriously, not that big of deal. If you feel slighted about something like that then I bet you get mad when an American blows up your space ship in PVP. Darn Americans always playing rough. Come on, obviously no one is saying don't post something here if you are from another country. Obviously no one is saying that. There is just a place for other nationalities to post. That makes things easier for everyone.

1. not everyone speaks German
2. Not every German speaks english

Rationality... I can't say it enough. Its not the game but stuff like this that makes me want to quit playing STO. This is a game and there isn't room for irrational thinking. And if you truly are hurt and if this hurts anyone else's feelings just turn your moniter off, breathe deep 10 times, drink water, and log back in as a Klingon and destroy some Federation Stuff.
Lt. Commander
# 13
02-01-2011, 09:32 AM
Let me first point out that german is my motherlanguage too although I am not from germany.
I have no problems with that english translation thank kahless BUT I know what the OP is writing about.
And to suggest to carry this into the german forums is neither productive nor wished by the OP. He simply wanted to remind the devs not to totally forget about those who cannot read english that good.
I perfectly legal reminder I have to say.
Lt. Commander
# 14
02-01-2011, 09:36 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by CapnBludd View Post
I'm not German but I know WishStone is the German dev, talk to her.
Wishstone is NOT a dev. Not everyone who works at Cryptic is a dev. The janitor isn't a dev and neither is Wishstone.

Dev is short for developer. A developer is someone who works on the game itself. Wishstone does not work on the game, she is an OCR, an "Online Community Rep." In other words: A forum mod with a nicer sounding title. Wishstone doesn't even work for Cryptic, she works for Atari.

Also, with all due respect to StormShade, it makes no sense to hold this conversation in the German speaking forums. The horrible state of the translation is something that needs to be brought to the attention of the devs, and none of the devs speak German.

Here's just one example of how messed up the German version of the game is. Take a look. This example is so bad that even non-German speakers will be able to understand the problem.
Lt. Commander
# 15
02-01-2011, 09:44 AM
Discussing moderation on the forums is best done in private channels. I.e PM either Wishtone or Stormshade to make your case.

Alternatively, you can contact:
Community@crypticstudios.com
Lt. Commander
# 16
02-01-2011, 09:49 AM
There's nothing wrong with the devs. Stormshade is a CSR, he is responsible for keeping the forums clean and has nothing to do with developing the game.
Lt. Commander
# 17
02-01-2011, 09:49 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peregrine_Falcon View Post
Wishstone is NOT a dev. Not everyone who works at Cryptic is a dev. The janitor isn't a dev and neither is Wishstone.

Dev is short for developer. A developer is someone who works on the game itself. Wishstone does not work on the game, she is an OCR, an "Online Community Rep." In other words: A forum mod with a nicer sounding title. Wishstone doesn't even work for Cryptic, she works for Atari.

Also, with all due respect to StormShade, it makes no sense to hold this conversation in the German speaking forums. The horrible state of the translation is something that needs to be brought to the attention of the devs, and none of the devs speak German.

Here's just one example of how messed up the German version of the game is. Take a look. This example is so bad that even non-German speakers will be able to understand the problem.
Main point being that as the German rep wouldn't she be the best advocate for getting a bad german translation fixed?
Lt. Commander
# 18
02-01-2011, 10:10 AM
Thanks u all, the this thread got more noticed then the first one. My goal that ppl know y im doin what im doin is important for me.

First of all i know that stormshade isnt a dev, i quoted him cause he was the only one of the more important ppl who answered me. EVEN it wasnt i has expected.

Its not so that im not possible to understand english nor to translate myself the stuff i need in sto. I think most german speaking are doing as i do. But because they HAVE to, we have not the possibility of a decision to choose the language. ok we have, but the difference is more worse then helpful.

The fact that not a single dev is a german speaking makes it senseless for me to write my problem in the german speaking part of the forum, cause there everyone got my opinion (more or less).

here its kinda way round, ok not so drastically, but not all are my opinion.
For those who arent, try to imagine a game wich is totally german and u bought it cause english is supported. After the installation u notice that the "english" is a 80% german 15% wrong english and 5% of the informations are missing.

now be true and tell me what would u think about the developers ?
I feel left in the engraving. (if i translated it wrong, the original is: "Ich fühle mich im stich gelassen.")
Well i think most germans feel so.

STO is so proud about its "Best new MMO 2010" i wish i could be as proud of it. I voted there for STO...

So many ppl iv started playing with told everytime that sto is buggy there isnt much to do and then the bad translation. I defended STO everytime, cause its beta....the devs are doing very much....its not even a year old... - i feel ripped.

greets
Loc
Lt. Commander
# 19
02-01-2011, 10:15 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by LocutusvonBorg View Post
Thanks u all, the this thread got more noticed then the first one. My goal that ppl know y im doin what im doin is important for me.

First of all i know that stormshade isnt a dev, i quoted him cause he was the only one of the more important ppl who answered me. EVEN it wasnt i has expected.

Its not so that im not possible to understand english nor to translate myself the stuff i need in sto. I think most german speaking are doing as i do. But because they HAVE to, we have not the possibility of a decision to choose the language. ok we have, but the difference is more worse then helpful.

The fact that not a single dev is a german speaking makes it senseless for me to write my problem in the german speaking part of the forum, cause there everyone got my opinion (more or less).

here its kinda way round, ok not so drastically, but not all are my opinion.
For those who arent, try to imagine a game wich is totally german and u bought it cause english is supported. After the installation u notice that the "english" is a 80% german 15% wrong english and 5% of the informations are missing.

now be true and tell me what would u think about the developers ?
I feel left in the engraving. (if i translated it wrong, the original is: "Ich fühle mich im stich gelassen.")
Well i think most germans feel so.

STO is so proud about its "Best new MMO 2010" i wish i could be as proud of it. I voted there for STO...

So many ppl iv started playing with told everytime that sto is buggy there isnt much to do and then the bad translation. I defended STO everytime, cause its beta....the devs are doing very much....its not even a year old... - i feel ripped.

greets
Loc
I would say you are a good candidate to translate STO to proper German. What do you say, devs? Looking for someone to translate for the German players? I would hope that they could hire you or someone fluent in German to do a proper translation. Hopefully it will work out for our German-speaking players.
Lt. Commander
# 20
02-01-2011, 10:18 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by SapphicZoid
It clearly seems to me the poster wrote a topic in english to try to discuss the situation with other english speaking players. Regardless what the subject matter is, that appears to be the intent and it was in English.

What happened seems to be, "I know you're German, so get back in your place!" Not cool.
That is an overreaction. It IS suited for the German section because it is about German. German speaking people post on this forums, no one is saying they can't. But the subject matter is the part that mattered. Obviously.

To the OP I think you overreacted just a little, I understand where you are coming from, but no disrespect was intended on StormShades part. The subject was about German, so put it in the german section. That is all that was meant. And it makes perfect sense.
Closed Thread