Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 21
02-01-2011, 10:25 AM
HEHE, nice.

Translating such a game wich is growing is a full time job and i still have a job and plans after that. When my knowlegde in english would be "deeper" well...y not.

I have only simple school knowledge. Many things cant be translated that simple like "the foundry" cause in german the context between what u can do and what its called is not ... logical. (i hope u know what i mean)

the fact is, u need professional personal to do such things and it seems like cryptic doesnt have them or atari, i dont care.

PS.: to Martok
maybe i didnt used the right words and u misunderstood me. in that case im sorry.
Its just so, the devs arent german.
iam german.
i have a problem and i want the devs to take notice.
in wich forum u think they even would take more notice, in the german one ? or the english one ?
and i know that stormshade only does his job the best he can and its ok for me, without ppl like him it would be chaos.

so then good night, im going to sleep

greets
Loc
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 22
02-01-2011, 10:31 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Martok42 View Post
That is an overreaction. It IS suited for the German section because it is about German.
No. The German forums are for posts written in the German language.

The English forums are for posts written in the English language. It says so right in the forum rules.

So you're telling me that if I start a thread about something German then they're going to move that post to the German forums, even though it's written in English?

Das macht keinen Sinn!
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 23
02-01-2011, 10:34 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Martok42 View Post
That is an overreaction. It IS suited for the German section because it is about German. German speaking people post on this forums, no one is saying they can't. But the subject matter is the part that mattered. Obviously.

To the OP I think you overreacted just a little, I understand where you are coming from, but no disrespect was intended on StormShades part. The subject was about German, so put it in the german section. That is all that was meant. And it makes perfect sense.
Honestly, talk about blowing things out of proportion, lol. There is a reason that there are multiple sub forums for more specific interests. Although I have to admit, the righteous indignation is rather humorous. I think that the dev's deserve an apology .

Hugs all around!
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 24
02-01-2011, 10:38 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by LocutusvonBorg View Post
[...]

The fact that not a single dev is a german speaking makes it senseless for me to write my problem in the german speaking part of the forum, cause there everyone got my opinion (more or less).
[...]
Well that's not really true. WishStone's work is it (beside other things) to read the german forum and inform the Devs about our problems. So in the end it shouldn't matter where you write something as the Devs will be informed about it. On the other hand I can't say why it shouldn't be allowed to post this issue in the English part of the forum if the post is in English.


Quote:
Originally Posted by oldlordskull View Post
I would say you are a good candidate to translate STO to proper German. What do you say, devs? Looking for someone to translate for the German players? I would hope that they could hire you or someone fluent in German to do a proper translation. Hopefully it will work out for our German-speaking players.
Since the beginning several people said they would be willing to help translate the game. But always it has been said there are some legal issues which prevent Cryptic from allowing this. As I understand it something of volunteers taking away real jobs but I'm no lawyer so no idea if I understand it as it is meant.



Anyway the translation... while they were still translating stuff in summer(?) there were several problems and as I understand it the translation software killed the game software or produced problems. Let's just say it didn't work. Whatever the issue prevented them to continue the translation so they had to stop. Since then WishStone and the translation staff are waiting to get their new software to continue translating the game.

Now I'm only guessing but I think the French version and both CO-Versions (French/German) have the same problem.
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 25
02-01-2011, 10:38 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peregrine_Falcon View Post
No. The German forums are for posts written in the German language.

The English forums are for posts written in the English language. It says so right in the forum rules.

So you're telling me that if I start a thread about something German then they're going to move that post to the German forums, even though it's written in English?

Das macht keinen Sinn!
This..........
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 26
02-01-2011, 10:39 AM
I can understand the OP's problem, even though I'm not German. I'm an American, and having been to most of the country, I can safely say that most Americans are ignorant and only interested in what suits them. I can say that about myself, as well. Americans are comparable to the Ferengi. Which is why this game shoul've been made in Canada...........................









Okay, I meant none of what I said above, but still. The Devs are being a bit ignorant of this, and I'm positive that this is because the translation dev has something against Germans. It's not that uncommon. I played Archany Online for all of one day, because when I asked for a dev's help getting my character out of a wall, he then refused to help me because I was American.
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 27
02-01-2011, 10:56 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by CapnBludd View Post
Nothing is wrong, you yourself noted that nobody was responding, and another person pointed out that you aren't going to get responses about the translation here since it doesn't mean anything to most of us.
The post was here four days before you bumped it. It makes more sense to rally your fellow German speakers since they are the ones who share your problem.

Read his link before jumping on a bandwagon.
So what you are implying is that, because German people don't speak English, they wouldn't be browsing this part of the forums.
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 28
02-01-2011, 10:58 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bolderine
So what you are implying is that, because German people don't speak English, they wouldn't be browsing this part of the forums.
No, he means that the density of German people is greater in the German forum, therefore the issue of translation would have a much stronger posting support then in the general area where so many other issues are being discussed. The same would be said about Spanish, French, etc.
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 29
02-01-2011, 10:59 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by spartan844
The Devs are being a bit ignorant of this, and I'm positive that this is because the translation dev has something against Germans. It's not that uncommon. I played Archany Online for all of one day, because when I asked for a dev's help getting my character out of a wall, he then refused to help me because I was American.
I honestly can't believe that someone thinks this. The Devs make every effort to remain civil and helpful to the community. The allegation that any of them are germanophobic is preposterous
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 30
02-01-2011, 11:04 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by P_Sutherland
wasnt the thread about something German related ? .. think it was... something to do with better translation in missions? :S
This right here.

OP, I believe you misunderstood what he said.

Your thread was focused about a German translation in the game, having that in the title itself made it more apropriate to have within the German section of the site.

I understand what you were trying to do, but I can tell from a Dev's point of view that it would be more beneficial to have a thread about a translator on the lanuage in question on it's section of the site.

There was no wrong-doing.
Closed Thread

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 08:22 AM.