Lt. Commander
# 1 Ship Interiors
02-01-2011, 10:51 AM
So im about 2% away from finishing the demo download. From what ive seen on youtube videos the ships insides are massive!

The bridge alone is like the size of small Indonesian villages. The hall ways of the ships are huge as well, and their doesn't seem to be much of a crew on the bridge. Yet walking though the vast hallways theres like 50 crew members just walking back n forth.

Granted i think a lot of the videos up on youtube of STO are from months and months ago. Nothing to recent it seems.

What are the devs doing to fix this?

Thank you for the help guys. Im taking the advice of someone from on here. They said to keep my expectations low that way i appreciate what deserves attention, but its just like come on devs! dont be dumb!
Lt. Commander
# 2
02-01-2011, 10:54 AM
The common rationalization for the big interiors is the camera. There needs to be enough space for a camera to move around in a third person game without clipping out of the map, and unless we suddenly change to a very close Mass Effect-style camera the interiors will stay big. This shift is also improbably, as such a close camera would limit your tactical awareness and make ground combat tougher to manage.

Also, the interiors are set up so that missions can be created in them if need be. With larger interiors comes the ability to have a comforable firefight instead of all the characters smooshed into a few feet.

Hopefully all that made sense?
Lt. Commander
# 3
02-01-2011, 10:57 AM
Currently, and as far as I can recall, the only reason to visit your ship's interior is for vanity's sake. Placing trophies in the mess hall or your Captain's Ready Room and just wandering the halls or having a party on your bridge with some friends.

I'm not sure what Cryptic plans to do about this at the moment but you could just check the Dev Tracker and see what the Devs are saying about stuff on a daily basis.

Omega covered the size issue perfectly, in my opinion.
Lt. Commander
# 4
02-01-2011, 10:58 AM
The biggest "issue" is the ceiling height. Bridges themselves aren't terribly over sized nor are the rest of the interiors except for ceiling hieght. At one point, doors were over sized as well but have since seen a much needed reduction to a more realistic size.
Lt. Commander
# 5
02-01-2011, 11:01 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by LordOfPit View Post
Currently, and as far as I can recall, the only reason to visit your ship's interior is for vanity's sake. Placing trophies in the mess hall or your Captain's Ready Room and just wandering the halls or having a party on your bridge with some friends.

I'm not sure what Cryptic plans to do about this at the moment but you could just check the Dev Tracker and see what the Devs are saying about stuff on a daily basis.
One thing is the UGC. Mission can now take place in replicas of your ship interiors in User Generated Content missions. I just finished watching some amazing UGC that is over on tribble on Stoked ep. 68. I think the "vanity only" use will soon be a thing of the past. Can't wait for UGC to come to Holodeck.
Lt. Commander
# 6
02-01-2011, 11:03 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gruug View Post
One thing is the UGC. Mission can now take place in replicas of your ship interiors in User Generated Content missions.
Which opens the can of worms known as "This isn't how my ship looks like on the inside!", at least for now.

Lt. Commander
# 7
02-01-2011, 11:06 AM
I purchased the Destiny Bridge Pack a while back. I happen to think the bridge is a perfect size. It gives the feel that a lot of people would work up there without tripping over each other.

The Emmissary Bridges, on the other hand, almost need a directory to get around.
Lt. Commander
# 8
02-01-2011, 11:07 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Commadore_Bob
I purchased the Destiny Bridge Pack a while back. I happen to think the bridge is a perfect size. It gives the feel that a lot of people would work up there without tripping over each other.

The Emmissary Bridges, on the other hand, almost need a directory to get around.
That's actually why I love the emissary bridges, you feel like you're in a NORAD control center with all those screens everywhere.
Lt. Commander
# 9
02-01-2011, 11:27 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Omega Hunter 9
That's actually why I love the emissary bridges, you feel like you're in a NORAD control center with all those screens everywhere.
The Emissary bridges are supposed to be a STO-analogue to the ST (2009) movie bridge, in the same way that the Diplomat, Star Explorer, Alliance, and Ceremonial bridges are supposed to represent the Sovereign (Enterprise-E) bridge.

For a more appropriate bridge size, I would suggest the Prometheus bridge pack. Although it is supposed to be an extremely tiny and cramped bridge, like all other interiors it has also been blown up in size, making it closer to what the Enterprise-A or Enterprise-E bridges are supposed to be in size.

As for the corridor height, I can't help you. I have a thread here where I demonstrate (with pictures even) how to make the ceilings at least look appropriate without having to resort to rebuilding all the maps, but that thread seems to have gone dormant some time ago.
Lt. Commander
# 10
02-01-2011, 11:32 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Direphoenix View Post
For a more appropriate bridge size, I would suggest the Prometheus bridge pack. Although it is supposed to be an extremely tiny and cramped bridge, like all other interiors it has also been blown up in size, making it closer to what the Enterprise-A or Enterprise-E bridges are supposed to be in size.
This is what I use, the Prometheus pack and I really like the size better. It fits better for my Excelsior than the others...which are just too huge and the one even has the classic bridge railing.