Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
Why? Because I killed your ancestors and you can't exist.

Ok that is absurd I know.. my point is made below however.

I just finished The City on the Edge of Never and Past Imperfect. The sheer number of Klingons I killed in the past surely has an impact on the Klingons alive today so some of our klingons characters must have cease to exist. Of course I don't really want you to delete them. However, I would like Cryptic (when they remaster this episode) to change it so we diable all of those D7s instead of destroying them. We, as Feds, are repeatedly warned about not altering the past. I am fairly certain that if the Department of Temporal investigation finds out I destroyed those ships rather than just diabling them the next thing I captain will be a garbage scow.

Devs recondisder how this handled when you remaster it please.
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 2
02-01-2011, 12:24 PM
Every time you kill a klingon, you create a parallel universe.
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 3
02-01-2011, 12:24 PM
Here's the messy nature of temporal mechanics: How do you know you didn't already destroy those ships? After all, Miral curing the lack of forehead ridges exists before she did and as a result of events in 2409, so those ships were always blown up by you, you just didn't experience it yet.
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 4
02-01-2011, 12:27 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Commodore_Stipe
Why? Because I killed your ancestors and you can't exist.

Ok that is absurd I know.. my point is made below however.

I just finished The City on the Edge of Never and Past Imperfect. The sheer number of Klingons I killed in the past surely has an impact on the Klingons alive today so some of our klingons characters must have cease to exist. Of course I don't really want you to delete them. However, I would like Cryptic (when they remaster this episode) to change it so we diable all of those D7s instead of destroying them. We, as Feds, are repeatedly warned about not altering the past. I am fairly certain that if the Department of Temporal investigation finds out I destroyed those ships rather than just diabling them the next thing I captain will be a garbage scow.

Devs recondisder how this handled when you remaster it please.
Consider this...

You go back in time and kill your grandpa. Do you cease to exist? Imagine if you will that instead of jumping off to never never land, you spawn an "alternate universe" where you no longer exist because of the paradox you created by killing your grandpa. Yet in the current universe you remain intact and continue on...

Just something to boil your noggin over.
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 5
02-01-2011, 12:30 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quetzaal
Every time you kill a klingon, you create a parallel universe.
( an rift blossoms into existance out of which billions of Roachs descendants peer forth)



Ok, that even gave me the heebie-jeebies
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 6
02-01-2011, 12:30 PM
Technically, that wouldn't solve the problem created by all the players who have already finished the mission slaughtering all of those klingons. How about making Past Imperfect an optional mission, an if you take it, you have to delete one of your klingon chars (if any)
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 7
02-01-2011, 12:30 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Omega Hunter 9
Here's the messy nature of temporal mechanics: How do you know you didn't already destroy those ships? After all, Miral curing the lack of forehead ridges exists before she did and as a result of events in 2409, so those ships were always blown up by you, you just didn't experience it yet.

While I still think my point is valid I do love a good debate on temporal mechincs. Well of course Miral was there but was I? Maybe I wasn't supposed to go back just her? Maybe it was someone else? Irregardless any Fed person going back should strive to not violate the Temporal Prime Directive and thus diable thoe D7 cruisers rather than blow them up. From a "canon" point of view it makes sense and from a gameplay/mechanics point of view its already been done and should be easy to accomplish.
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 8
02-01-2011, 12:33 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kahn View Post
Consider this...

You go back in time and kill your grandpa. Do you cease to exist? Imagine if you will that instead of jumping off to never never land, you spawn an "alternate universe" where you no longer exist because of the paradox you created by killing your grandpa. Yet in the current universe you remain intact and continue on...

Just something to boil your noggin over.
Proven to not be accurate. In the orginal City on the Edge of Forever McCoy prevent Edith Keelers death (a single person) change the entire future. The Federation did not exist. The Enterprise did not exist. Only those few on the planet at the time who were protected by the Guardians influence continued to exist everything else was gone. There was no alternate universe the prime universe itself was altered.
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 9
02-01-2011, 12:40 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Commodore_Stipe
Why? Because I killed your ancestors and you can't exist.

Ok that is absurd I know.. my point is made below however.

I just finished The City on the Edge of Never and Past Imperfect. The sheer number of Klingons I killed in the past surely has an impact on the Klingons alive today so some of our klingons characters must have cease to exist. Of course I don't really want you to delete them. However, I would like Cryptic (when they remaster this episode) to change it so we diable all of those D7s instead of destroying them. We, as Feds, are repeatedly warned about not altering the past. I am fairly certain that if the Department of Temporal investigation finds out I destroyed those ships rather than just diabling them the next thing I captain will be a garbage scow.

Devs recondisder how this handled when you remaster it please.
Your point is basically that since Cryptic was more considerate when they made "Night of the Comet" where neither the Federation nor the Klingon player is able to destroy any of the enemy D7 at the end of that mission and only disables them...oh no wait that was a bad example.

But I understand what you're saying.
It's a little strange that except for B'vat (in both missions) all the other Klingons are considered "worthless historical redshirts" that can be bombed from history without any effects.
Especially in Star Trek they were usually so careful that they tried not to cause too much harm that the approach in most time-travel missions is pretty much anti-Trek
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 10
02-01-2011, 12:47 PM
in one alternate universe this is not a tpyo. And the letter i in the first word of this post was capitalized in another.

freaky man...:p
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 04:25 AM.