Lt. Commander
# 11
02-01-2011, 12:47 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Commodore_Stipe
Proven to not be accurate. In the orginal City on the Edge of Forever McCoy prevent Edith Keelers death (a single person) change the entire future. The Federation did not exist. The Enterprise did not exist. Only those few on the planet at the time who were protected by the Guardians influence continued to exist everything else was gone. There was no alternate universe the prime universe itself was altered.
Its a matter of perspective. Virtually every time travel episode would have spawned 2 universes. one with the changes and one without.

For television Entertainment purposes, we stay locked to the "changed" universe almost every time, and for the most part we never concern ourselves with the "original" version anymore (unless they go back to try and undo changes and "re-merge" the universes, but thats a bit deeper into quantum mechanics than we wanna go here.

Star Trek IV: Two universes, one where they saved some whales and this Earth, and one where they didn't and the Earth was scourged. We see the other universe in a book, but mostly, we stay in "Prime"

Its better not to dwell too much on things not changing due to time travel.
Lt. Commander
# 12
02-01-2011, 12:48 PM
Technically the City on the Edge of Never mission was a predestination paradox and is the reason Klingons got their forehead ridges back after TOS. So the very fact Klingons already had the ridges means you had to do whatever you did, including killing, to create the timeline you came from.
Lt. Commander
# 13
02-01-2011, 12:49 PM
Meh... Star Trek's time travel is annoying to keep up with. It makes my brain hurt. I like Faraday's explanation better. You can't change the past. Whatever happened, happened. Tah dah!
Lt. Commander
# 14
02-01-2011, 12:50 PM
Quote:
Why? Because I killed your ancestors and you can't exist.

Ok that is absurd I know.. my point is made below however.

I just finished The City on the Edge of Never and Past Imperfect. The sheer number of Klingons I killed in the past surely has an impact on the Klingons alive today so some of our klingons characters must have cease to exist. Of course I don't really want you to delete them. However, I would like Cryptic (when they remaster this episode) to change it so we diable all of those D7s instead of destroying them. We, as Feds, are repeatedly warned about not altering the past. I am fairly certain that if the Department of Temporal investigation finds out I destroyed those ships rather than just diabling them the next thing I captain will be a garbage scow.

Devs recondisder how this handled when you remaster it please.
The Turth is simple, the Federation is a lie. You are Murderers, You lack any Code of Conduct, and if given half a chance you would kill women and childresn as well.
Lt. Commander
# 15
02-01-2011, 12:51 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiberion1701
Its a matter of perspective. Virtually every time travel episode would have spawned 2 universes. one with the changes and one without.

For television Entertainment purposes, we stay locked to the "changed" universe almost every time, and for the most part we never concern ourselves with the "original" version anymore (unless they go back to try and undo changes and "re-merge" the universes, but thats a bit deeper into quantum mechanics than we wanna go here.

Star Trek IV: Two universes, one where they saved some whales and this Earth, and one where they didn't and the Earth was scourged. We see the other universe in a book, but mostly, we stay in "Prime"

Its better not to dwell too much on things not changing due to time travel.
Remember that show Seven Days? The agent would go back a week to prevent disasters, but what happened to the agent that was there 7 days ago? They never did explain that one.
Lt. Commander
# 16
02-01-2011, 12:55 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Serpieri View Post
The Turth is simple, the Federation is a lie. You are Murderers, You lack any Code of Conduct, and if given half a chance you would kill women and childresn as well.
It's true, I saw it.

By the way, whatever happened to that mission were feds go killing Jem'Hadar babies?
Lt. Commander
# 17
02-01-2011, 01:10 PM
I always thought that the Guardian would be able to access every relevant 'universe' or timeline as required. In which case, it prevents the paradox by sending you to a timeline where those klingons were supposed to die, in other words predestined to be killed by you.

For the devidian series, you dont go back in time using a 'controlled' method, whether its the slingshot or the portal. So you have to avoid causing a paradox as it affects the prime timeline u came from.

Or thats how i would reason it. I dont mind if Cryptic prevents us from killing anyone if they remaster it.
Lt. Commander
# 18
02-01-2011, 01:12 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grox View Post
It's true, I saw it.

By the way, whatever happened to that mission were feds go killing Jem'Hadar babies?
At the risk of starting a debate, those were eggs and the Federation policy is pretty much life beginning at birth.

There have been a couple of prominent times when Starfleet officers mass destroyed the unborn. Riker and Pulaski wiped out a room full of incubating clones because they didn't consent to being cloned.
Lt. Commander
# 19
02-01-2011, 01:22 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quetzaal
Every time you kill a klingon, you create a parallel universe.
Abrams is going to have a *field* day with this.
Lt. Commander
# 20
02-01-2011, 01:28 PM
Quote:
Why? Because I killed your ancestors and you can't exist.

Ok that is absurd I know.. my point is made below however.

I just finished The City on the Edge of Never and Past Imperfect. The sheer number of Klingons I killed in the past surely has an impact on the Klingons alive today so some of our klingons characters must have cease to exist. Of course I don't really want you to delete them. However, I would like Cryptic (when they remaster this episode) to change it so we diable all of those D7s instead of destroying them. We, as Feds, are repeatedly warned about not altering the past. I am fairly certain that if the Department of Temporal investigation finds out I destroyed those ships rather than just diabling them the next thing I captain will be a garbage scow.

Devs recondisder how this handled when you remaster it please.
Another example of why the Terran Empire is vastly superior to the Federation. We don't have any of that don't-mess-with-the-timeline frivolity to concern us. We just kills 'em.