Lt. Commander
I do not feel we have WARP SPEED in Star Trek Online, and it just isn't 'Star Trek' without the ability to go to warp.

Yes, we have many (too many) moments of seeing our ship warp out, but then we are just on another screen, floating aimlessly or slowly spluttering through Sector Space.

I would like to propose the ability to:

A) Set a course with our helmsman for ANYWHERE in the entire galaxy, select a warp speed, and ENGAGE! Depending on what system we have selected relative to our current location, and what speed we have chosen to get there, we then sit back and wait to arrive.

B) The ability to TOGGLE between Sector SPace and our ship's interior while we are traveling AT WARP to our destination. As more functions are (hopefully) added to interiors, as well as more customization efforts, we should be able to toggle between an exterior view of our ship where we can take direct control over its immediate direction, or to be within our bridge/ready room/lounge/etc. while we travel across what is perhaps several sectors.

The DEVs have recently said that they are removing enemy signal contacts from Sector Space (thank GOD! A+ move, Devs!) and thus there is less reason to be constantly guiding our ship through a sector.

Adding the effect of stars moving at warp to our viewscreen while at warp, as well as out our ship's windows would be amazing as far as immersion is concerned.

We can also play around with the idea of faster travel VS. cost of faster travel. Perhaps things like transwarp and slipstream drives can be looked at, and players can decide whether they want to get to their destination faster at some kind of an energy cost, versus slow and steady at no cost.

I especially would like to see the ability to set a course for somewhere a few sectors away, and pay for the convenience of not having to be glued to the keyboard to confirm sector changes with the fact that maybe it takes a lot longer to get there.

Some of this can also be tied into the new crew system in terms of engineering team members effecting warp speed and cost. We can even add the idea of different warp cores which are dragged and dropped much like engines are now.

More than anything, I'd like to see that toggle between sector space and our interiors, and the ability to just tell your helmsman where it is you want to go and lay in a course at warp speed.

Thoughts? Suggestions?
Lt. Commander
# 2
02-02-2011, 09:12 AM
This is already stated as hinging on tech to remove barriers in sectorblocks.

Mr. Dstahl needs to tear down those walls.
Lt. Commander
# 3
02-02-2011, 09:13 AM
Like this idea a lot xD

Can I also add in would be nice to see our ship actually break the through the light barrier as seen in at least 2 eps of next gen, one has something to do with Acamarians (sp?) if you wish to see it in action.
Lt. Commander
# 4
02-02-2011, 09:13 AM
I've been wanting this for a long time. It was one of the ideas on my compilation thread a while back.
Lt. Commander
# 5
02-02-2011, 09:14 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by shikamaru317 View Post
I've been wanting this for a long time. It was one of the ideas on my compilation thread a while back.
Relies on a lot of back end tech that the devs don't have (at least not yet).
Lt. Commander
# 6
02-02-2011, 09:15 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Darren_Kitlor
This is already stated as hinging on tech to remove barriers in sectorblocks.

I agree my only concern is server performance if the sectors are "Dezoned."..unzoned? Antizoned...?
Lt. Commander
# 7
02-02-2011, 09:16 AM
I would love most of these ideas too. As it stands now, just having higher star density in current sector space (during warp travel) would be a nice touch too.
Lt. Commander
# 8
02-02-2011, 09:19 AM
There's a Course Setting idea included in my Better Way to do Sector Area Maps post. It wouldn't even require tearing down the boundaries.

Check it out when you get a chance.

Incidentally, if you mouse over your speed indicator when you are in Sector Space, it does read in Warp factors. A more obvious display might be kool though.

Lt. Commander
# 9
02-02-2011, 09:20 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Darren_Kitlor
ROFL, totally agree and the reference is hilarious!
Lt. Commander
# 10
02-02-2011, 09:20 AM
I always find it funny that people think the streaks are stars.