Lt. Commander
# 11
02-02-2011, 09:21 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackavaar View Post

Incidentally, if you mouse over your speed indicator when you are in Sector Space, it does read in Warp factors. A more obvious display might be kool though.
Yeah, also when most people fly around at "warp" speed in sector space they look like they are either drunk or Jake Sisko.
Lt. Commander
# 12
02-02-2011, 09:24 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Darren_Kitlor
This is already stated as hinging on tech to remove barriers in sectorblocks.

Mr. Dstahl needs to tear down those walls.
Yet Another Thread by those who don't understand how server farms work, and/or have a overblown notion as to what's possible with current-gen hardware.

What you refer to as "walls" are in fact SERVER NODE TRANSITIONS, where your player data is copied in it's current state to the server node that's running that particular area, be it Sector Space or mission space. It's possible to hide the transitions - EvE does it by forcing you to go through "gates" to change systems (the gate animation covers the transition...usually). WoW covers it by preloading the next area as you travel - even there, you can tell the transitions as a "stutter" when the transition finishes.

Here we get a loading screen after we confirm that we want to make the transition, THAT part's the real immersion-breaker - it's a leftover from both Champions and COH, where transitions required you to board some vehicle or enter some building. DCUO does the same thing as well - you just have to "activate" the transition.

What you are talking about - a truly seamless works - ISN'T POSSIBLE WITH CVURRENT-GEN HARDWARE. The transitions can be hidden -but not eliminated. So, as in this and other MMOS you'll just have to DEAL WITH those "walls".

TL;DR: DEAL WITH IT. Not possible to change the fact of a transition, it's possible to hide it better, though.
Lt. Commander
# 13
02-02-2011, 09:25 AM
Quote:
Relies on a lot of back end tech that the devs don't have (at least not yet).
I wonder if they gave any thought to my idea of how to do it. Instead of needing to tear down the barriers, they could set up an autopilot that selects each new destination as you enter a new sector block. Then you could just set a course in any sector, and the autopilot would handle the rest, targetting each new destination for you. But then I suppose the autopilot would take just as long to develope. It won't be of much use until they add more interior functionality anyways. I guess we'll have to wait.

My grand vision is to have things set up just like the shows. Where you can leave the bridge and do whatever you want during travel. You could go down and craft in engineering, sit in your ready room and read logs of former missions, play a quick hand of poker in ten forward, sleep in your bed to gain a slight xp boost for a short amount of time, or even just stand in your observation lounge watching the warp effect through the large transparent alluminum panel windows. If you encounter an enemy (DSE), a red alert would be activated so you could transport to the bridge quikly to fight. Of course all this requires new tech, so it will be a while. Hopefully they will get some of it going this year.
Lt. Commander
# 14
02-02-2011, 09:37 AM
Quote:

if they fixed a navigation point in the middle of each sectors dividing walls (like points are fixed for planet locations that you can already set a course for using the map screen) then there is no need to change the tech all they have to do is institute the chaining of navigation points

so for example memory alpha to ds9 would go:

warp out memory alpha>fly to navigation point for sirius sector block border>cross border>fly to navigation point for sirius sector beta ursae sector block>fly to ds9>dock

now to make it more fluid you'd want to add unnamed (and unseen) waypoint navigation points in the sector so you didn't end up skirting along the sector "walls" like you do atm if you set course from sol to the beta ursae sector block border

as the sector blocks are rectangular with 3 sectors you could do this with a minimum of 3 fixed points one in the middle of each sector and a little clever "if" programing covering the desired chain so you don't end up flying to a waypoints then making a 90 degree turn when a lesser turn from the last midpoint would feel much more natural.

the more midpoints you added the more fluid it would seem.

4 or 5 waypoints per sector (situated like the dots on the side of a dice) and some clever programming would make such navigation pretty fluid i think
Lt. Commander
# 15
02-02-2011, 09:40 AM
Quote:

Yes please. or hide them better or whatever. Just make em go away!!!
Lt. Commander
# 16
02-02-2011, 09:41 AM
am I the only one who doesn't like the amount of travel time involved in getting from A to B already? Someone seriously wants to just pick a final location and SIT AROUND waiting to get there? I would prefer there to be a time compress feature while traveling more than a lets-make-it-even-longer-and-more-boring feature.

Once you hit VA you no longer get sucked into DSEs anyway, so there is no danger element to travel. Why not let VA's time compress to speed up travel? I know slipstream and borg engines = go faster. Slipstream doesn't run long enough to get you across some of the larger sectors. Make the duration longer and the cooldown shorter and I'd be happy. Why does something that is supposed to be used out of combat just to accelerate dead travel time have a cool down anyway?
Lt. Commander
# 17
02-02-2011, 09:47 AM
^^

well you could always buy an Excelsior....

cutting out all travelling time is a dangerous path to tread
it can ruin immersion and can have highly negative effects in an mmo (you never see people "out and about in the world")

i know that wasn't what you were asking for (removing all traveling time) but like i said it's a dangerous path to tread.

personally i like my thinking/making tea/going to the toilet time and i have an Excelsior
Lt. Commander
# 18
02-02-2011, 09:49 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by m.mcnaught
^^

well you could always buy an Excelsior....
True..I actually have one. I just don't like cruisers that much. If I have to travel from Sol to the transwarp gate you'd think slipstream would be enabled long enough to get you there in one jump without the cooldown, thou. If the point is to accelerate travel, how bout it lasting long enough to get me somewhere?
Lt. Commander
# 19
02-02-2011, 09:53 AM
This is a great idea, except...

A) It'd be nice to be at the Sol system and set a course for Beta Ursae WITHOUT it constantly asking me if I want to enter the Delta Volanis cluster because my Helmsman (read: poor pathing/AI) can't figure out how to get to the desired sector without bumping into things it shouldn't bump into in the first place if the Helmsman (poor pathing/AI) was competently trained (programmed). Should probably see THAT fixed first.

B) I've played Eve, in which you get around as the OP suggests. "Set it and forget it" might be a fun idea, but NOT when it literally takes an hour and a half to get to your destination.

I already walk away from STO during ground battles because I know my away team members can handle whatever the intensely lame ground combat system can throw at them (yes, even a year later). The last thing I need is a game where I log in, set a course, and walk away to hoover the carpet or make a sandwich *some more*. I'd be logged in but never play.
Lt. Commander
# 20
02-02-2011, 09:55 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by m.mcnaught
it can ruin immersion and can have highly negative effects in an mmo
What, like the constant popup text boxes in the middle of space that people have been complaining about for a year now?

STO isn't about immersion, it never has been, and it just never will be. More's the pity.