Lt. Commander
# 21
02-02-2011, 09:55 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by boglejam View Post
True..I actually have one. I just don't like cruisers that much. If I have to travel from Sol to the transwarp gate you'd think slipstream would be enabled long enough to get you there in one jump without the cooldown, thou. If the point is to accelerate travel, how bout it lasting long enough to get me somewhere?
well look at it this way:

more ranks and engines yet to come....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stelakh View Post
What, like the constant popup text boxes in the middle of space that people have been complaining about for a year now?

STO isn't about immersion, it never has been, and it just never will be. More's the pity.
You've got to ac-cent-tchu-ate the positive
Eliminate the negative
Latch on to the affirmative
Don't mess with Mister In-Between

Lt. Commander
# 22
02-02-2011, 10:00 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Callasan View Post
Yet Another Thread by those who don't understand how server farms work, and/or have a overblown notion as to what's possible with current-gen hardware.

What you refer to as "walls" are in fact SERVER NODE TRANSITIONS, where your player data is copied in it's current state to the server node that's running that particular area, be it Sector Space or mission space. It's possible to hide the transitions - EvE does it by forcing you to go through "gates" to change systems (the gate animation covers the transition...usually). WoW covers it by preloading the next area as you travel - even there, you can tell the transitions as a "stutter" when the transition finishes.

Here we get a loading screen after we confirm that we want to make the transition, THAT part's the real immersion-breaker - it's a leftover from both Champions and COH, where transitions required you to board some vehicle or enter some building. DCUO does the same thing as well - you just have to "activate" the transition.

What you are talking about - a truly seamless works - ISN'T POSSIBLE WITH CVURRENT-GEN HARDWARE. The transitions can be hidden -but not eliminated. So, as in this and other MMOS you'll just have to DEAL WITH those "walls".

TL;DR: DEAL WITH IT. Not possible to change the fact of a transition, it's possible to hide it better, though.
I would add that while we could maybe have all of sector space as one instance, the result would be an even emptier space.

I think we have instance caps of 25 players on the ground and 50 in space.

As it stands, you can see 50 people in a sector block.

If they made it all one map, you'd be sharing the whole alpha quadrant with 50 people instead of just a sector block. Meaning this would dramatically reduce your odds of seeing another player.

The tech that's needed is basically the WoW tech (albeit for a much beefier and system intensive game engine) and that would stream the shards for sector blocks.

Removing walls and merging the maps would defeat the whole point of the sector maps as the game's primary social hub "on the go".
Lt. Commander
# 23
02-02-2011, 10:03 AM
there's no need to change the tech only the need to store a single destination and the fact that you've preconfirmed you actually want to cross the sector borders involved in going from a to b

the OP never asked for seamless transitions between sectors only the ablity to preset a course to a destination and that is easily doable
Lt. Commander
# 24
02-02-2011, 10:11 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by m.mcnaught
there's no need to change the tech only the need to store a single destination and the fact that you've preconfirmed you actually want to cross the sector borders involved in going from a to b

the OP never asked for seamless transition between sectors only the ablity to preset a course to a destination and that is easily doable
Without a tech chage - the ONNLY thing you eliminate in your idea as typed here would be the "traffic controller" dialogs - you'd still have a loading screen popup everytime you crossed a sector "wall", regardless. In some ways, that would break immersion even worse - not expecting the loading screens.
Lt. Commander
# 25
02-02-2011, 10:13 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by ProfessorSTAFF
B) The ability to TOGGLE between Sector SPace and our ship's interior while we are traveling AT WARP to our destination. As more functions are (hopefully) added to interiors, as well as more customization efforts, we should be able to toggle between an exterior view of our ship where we can take direct control over its immediate direction, or to be within our bridge/ready room/lounge/etc. while we travel across what is perhaps several sectors.
I would not like to sit around on my bridge and just watch my BOff's push buttons while I'm traveling. I'm a ship guy and I like traveling through sector space and seeing all the cool ships, and all the cool art that is in, planets emerging from stars, nebula's, etc. On a side not...i ALWAYS am in support for options tho, so there should be a toggle.

Quote:
Yet Another Thread by those who don't understand how server farms work, and/or have a overblown notion as to what's possible with current-gen hardware.

EvE does it by forcing you to go through "gates" to change systems (the gate animation covers the transition...usually). WoW covers it by preloading the next area as you travel - even there, you can tell the transitions as a "stutter" when the transition finishes.

TL;DR DEAL WITH IT
I don't think anyone is saying create new tech, at least I don't say that when I speak of such things. All I want is the transition systems that are built in other games like EvE or WoW, where it is less intrusive. All a movie is, is lots of still pics that get replaced very fast...but I don't complain it looks like still pics because I'm immersed into the movie and my eyeballs belive there's fluid movement. That's all we ask for in games, I don't care what happens tech side...I just want my eyeballs to believe I'm moving through each sector seamlessly.

....Did I just hear my STOWidget inform me the server is up
Lt. Commander
# 26
02-02-2011, 10:20 AM
Quote:
Without a tech chage - the ONNLY thing you eliminate in your idea as typed here would be the "traffic controller" dialogs - you'd still have a loading screen popup everytime you crossed a sector "wall", regardless. In some ways, that would break immersion even worse - not expecting the loading screens.
except you can actually see sector walls (if astrometric is on)

besides you would have already accepted you were going to do this by presetting a course across sector borders.

its hardly "OMG ! WTF just happened ! " leaping cat territory really -.-
Lt. Commander
# 27
02-02-2011, 12:51 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by m.mcnaught
You've got to ac-cent-tchu-ate the positive
Eliminate the negative
Latch on to the affirmative
Don't mess with Mister In-Between
Good theory, doesn't work. If someone is doing something that is not to your satisfaction, remaining silent on the issue just makes them think you're happy and thrilled and think they're perfect.

If everyone was the same, and we all agreed, and nobody ever dissented, what a horribly boring world we'd live in.
Lt. Commander
# 28
02-02-2011, 12:56 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by CapnBludd View Post
I always find it funny that people think the streaks are stars.
Then what are they? I realize that with a "real" warp drive you wouldn't see the stars streaking past, but it was obviously the intention of the writers that they were stars.

Edit: Sorry did not mean to sound like a Troll.
Lt. Commander
# 29
02-02-2011, 01:42 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leviathan99
I would add that while we could maybe have all of sector space as one instance, the result would be an even emptier space.
I would prefer this. SPace is big and vast and starships are major endeavors to build. Sometimes, flying around in sector space I feel like I am in gridlock on a crowded freeway instead of boldly going where none have gone before.
Lt. Commander
# 30
02-02-2011, 03:19 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by shikamaru317 View Post
I wonder if they gave any thought to my idea of how to do it. Instead of needing to tear down the barriers, they could set up an autopilot that selects each new destination as you enter a new sector block. Then you could just set a course in any sector, and the autopilot would handle the rest, targetting each new destination for you. But then I suppose the autopilot would take just as long to develope. It won't be of much use until they add more interior functionality anyways. I guess we'll have to wait.

My grand vision is to have things set up just like the shows. Where you can leave the bridge and do whatever you want during travel. You could go down and craft in engineering, sit in your ready room and read logs of former missions, play a quick hand of poker in ten forward, sleep in your bed to gain a slight xp boost for a short amount of time, or even just stand in your observation lounge watching the warp effect through the large transparent alluminum panel windows. If you encounter an enemy (DSE), a red alert would be activated so you could transport to the bridge quikly to fight. Of course all this requires new tech, so it will be a while. Hopefully they will get some of it going this year.
Some very good thoughts.