Lt. Commander
# 1 No More Big Patches
02-02-2011, 12:48 PM
alright, here's my feedback. there's no reason to have a single 1GB size patch. i have DSL and run the game fine, but it's going to take me HOURS to download this patch, and every time someone calls, it interrupts the download and has to be restarted. there's no reason for that. the devs are just being lazy. they could easily split the patch into 3 or 4 blocks that have to be downloaded incrementally. it would still take the same amount of time, but for people with slower connections if there's an interrupt or power failure they haven't lost all progress at 98% and have to start over. i'm not even sorry about this gripe. i've never seen another MMO with a GB patch... that's darn near the whole client. but i HAVE seen other MMOs have incremental patches that stack for that very reason.

as an after thought, it wouldn't be so bad if the patcher cached the already downloaded content so it could restart from the last point. clearly this is a better solution. and don't tell me it can't be done. even firefox has a download manager that can do that.
Lt. Commander
# 2
02-02-2011, 01:26 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by ThosaH View Post
...the devs are just being lazy.
I understand what you're saying, and empathize, but the above really isn't fair. They've done a lot in the last year to get this game to the place where we as a community have asked. Stating that they're lazy is not truly constructive, or accurate--it's also likely to get your thread closed and put Stormshade into a not so happy mood.
Lt. Commander
# 3
02-02-2011, 01:29 PM
My sytem applied the new patch in under 2 minutes.
I didn't need to download anything.
I regularly log in on tribble, because I've noticed that when the system applies a new patch for the LIVE version, it simply copies the data from the TRIBBLE version without redownloading it.
So since this time there was little to no actual difference between the LIVE and the TRIBBLE version, there was no need to actually download anything.

My tip for the future would be this:
Get you patches from TRIBBLE regularly and think of the as a "pre-patch", even if you don't check out new contents on TRIBBLE very often, it's still useful in this way.
Lt. Commander
# 4
02-02-2011, 01:33 PM
Simply no. I feel for you I really do, but you're wrong, this is not just simply a patch. Its new content, some overhauls and nerfs/buffs what have you, bug fixes, etc. It also lays the ground work for the upcoming ground combat overhaul I believe if I read the forums right and the new episodes on the 5th.

Honestly you cant hold the rest of us back in 2010 because you have DSL or live in an area where you can't get good internet. I am a seasoned MMO player and I have downloaded patches way bigger than that. Actually I just started playing a little over a week ago and after downloading the 5.5GB game file off steam I had to download a 3.3GB "patch" after that.

Either upgrade or move. Dont hold the rest of us back. its 2011 afterall, not 2000.
Lt. Commander
# 5
02-02-2011, 01:37 PM
How about having separate downloads for patches? Be alot faster then those damned sto servers .
Lt. Commander
# 6
02-02-2011, 01:46 PM
Its not normal for DSL disconnecting whenever someone phones you.... that sounds like a microfilter problem... might want to think about replacing them as it sounds like at least one is faulty...
Lt. Commander
# 7
02-02-2011, 01:59 PM
This post has been edited to remove content which violates the Cryptic Studios Forum Usage Guidelines ~GM Tiyshen
Lt. Commander
# 8
02-02-2011, 02:01 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by meehee View Post
Its not normal for DSL disconnecting whenever someone phones you.... that sounds like a microfilter problem... might want to think about replacing them as it sounds like at least one is faulty...
hmmm you might be right... thanks for the tip i will look into that.
Lt. Commander
# 9
02-02-2011, 02:16 PM
Regardless if my internet is faster, what your asking for is simply....stupid. If you're asking for a stage download where you download 50megs here 100megs there than that can lead to longer development, bugs etc.

Call your ISP if your DSL can''t handle downloading 1GB. Sounds like you're getting ripped off from my selfish business PoV.

I respect your suggestion to Cryptic, but again you're a paying customer too for your ISP, take your money elsewhere if it sucks. Netflix, Itunes etc...should they download your movies, and music for you in chunks too because your ISP can't handle 300megs or 3.3megs or an HD file over 1GB?
Lt. Commander
# 10
02-02-2011, 02:37 PM
I would be happy if they allowed mirror servers to download patches.. IGN etc.. at least split up the bandwidth. My internet connection is just fine, but I have been downloading this 1356MB patch for 36 minutes and I am now at 15% This is a problem.