Lt. Commander
# 11
02-02-2011, 01:58 PM
It was slow even more me, their servers are just bogged down by the load, my only complaint is I had to download it twice. Once early morning and than just a little ago. Mirror servers are always a plus.

Or increase their server traffic allowance.
Lt. Commander
# 12
02-02-2011, 02:06 PM
1 hour 5 minutes and 24%....
Lt. Commander
# 13
02-02-2011, 02:18 PM
patch took me a good 5 minutes
Lt. Commander
# 14
02-02-2011, 02:29 PM
I am downloading at peak time of day.. not middle of the night or anything. everyone is getting home from work or school at this time of day and starting their d/l
Lt. Commander
# 15
02-02-2011, 02:57 PM
I feel you pain, ThosaH, because I also have a very crappy (read: slow, heh) DSL line. Mine is barely above dial-up (I average probably about 80-85 KB/s, so it takes me around 3 to 4 hours to download a GB patch, sigh, lol), but I'm lucky because I live in the boondocks (so I'm happy that I have it at all, really; otherwise I would have to resort to satellite internet, and I don't want to have to go there).

However, like meehee mentioned, it's not normal for DSL to be knocked off because of an incoming call. I don't have that problem, even when I am downloading the bigger patches. So I would look into a problem with your filter.

It won't change the time it takes to download the patch (which I'm actually okay with; I've gotten used to it, ever since the first 2 GB patch we had back in CB, and it took me about 8 hours to get, lol), but it will at least stop you from getting knocked off while you do. The game itself plays fine for me, so I'm just glad I can play the game without lag/disconnects with my crappy speeds, heh.
Lt. Commander
# 16
02-02-2011, 03:12 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by ThosaH View Post
as an after thought, it wouldn't be so bad if the patcher cached the already downloaded content so it could restart from the last point. clearly this is a better solution. and don't tell me it can't be done. even firefox has a download manager that can do that.
This is a common misconception, the download does not re-start at the beginning, it re-starts from where it was disconnected from, but the percentage stars at zero and counts the percentage of what you still need to download.

Ex: If the patch is 1 gbs and you get cut off at 30%, when you reconnect you will be downpoading 700mbs, not the 1GB, so the new percentage is on the 700 mbs.....

I hope this clears it up a little ......

Thanks!
Lt. Commander
# 17
02-02-2011, 04:07 PM
3 hours and 79%. How's that for cutting into my evening gameplay? eh?
Lt. Commander
# 18
02-02-2011, 04:17 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Magic924 View Post
Regardless if my internet is faster, what your asking for is simply....stupid. If you're asking for a stage download where you download 50megs here 100megs there than that can lead to longer development, bugs etc.

Call your ISP if your DSL can''t handle downloading 1GB. Sounds like you're getting ripped off from my selfish business PoV.

I respect your suggestion to Cryptic, but again you're a paying customer too for your ISP, take your money elsewhere if it sucks. Netflix, Itunes etc...should they download your movies, and music for you in chunks too because your ISP can't handle 300megs or 3.3megs or an HD file over 1GB?
actually, netflix has a very dynamic bandwith/quality processing algorithm that allows them to do JUST that... they stream your video at the quality level your bandwidth can handle so that your movie doesn't get interrupted to buffer. so yes, in this more MODERN age of sophisticated programming, i would expect a little more. and what i'm asking isn't STUPID... it's a very well established downloading convention. there was a time, i'm sure you're not old enough to remember, that a single MB download was unheard of... and so compression and partitioning software like Winzip were written to take care of that problem. the problem is, for many users, no matter how much you increase the bandwidth, someone else will come along with a bigger file and gobble up all the bandwidth again.

the solution isn't to tell customers to simply get on the bandwagon with everyone else. that's not a solution. that's just not addressing the problem. if you want to be a problem solver, you have to think of innovative ideas to bridge the gap and bring as many people on board as you can, given their circumstances. some potential customers may only be running a pentium III processor... unfortunately no compromise can be made to accommodate them and bring them in. however, someone using a slightly dated video card may still play, by offering a reduced graphics setting that their system can handle. see where i'm going with this? there are always going to be braggarts that will sport the state of the art technology. you want to thumb your nose at me because i don't fall into your level. and that's fine your right to do so. but that doesn't mean that my problem isn't real, that cryptic shouldn't care, or that there isn't a workable solution they can come up with the address the issue.
Lt. Commander
# 19
02-02-2011, 04:20 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by ThosaH View Post
actually, netflix has a very dynamic bandwith/quality processing algorithm that allows them to do JUST that... they stream your video at the quality level your bandwidth can handle so that your movie doesn't get interrupted to buffer. so yes, in this more MODERN age of sophisticated programming, i would expect a little more. and what i'm asking isn't STUPID... it's a very well established downloading convention. there was a time, i'm sure you're not old enough to remember, that a single MB download was unheard of... and so compression and partitioning software like Winzip were written to take care of that problem. the problem is, for many users, no matter how much you increase the bandwidth, someone else will come along with a bigger file and gobble up all the bandwidth again.

the solution isn't to tell customers to simply get on the bandwagon with everyone else. that's not a solution. that's just not addressing the problem. if you want to be a problem solver, you have to think of innovative ideas to bridge the gap and bring as many people on board as you can, given their circumstances. some potential customers may only be running a pentium III processor... unfortunately no compromise can be made to accommodate them and bring them in. however, someone using a slightly dated video card may still play, by offering a reduced graphics setting that their system can handle. see where i'm going with this? there are always going to be braggarts that will sport the state of the art technology. you want to thumb your nose at me because i don't fall into your level. and that's fine your right to do so. but that doesn't mean that my problem isn't real, that cryptic shouldn't care, or that there isn't a workable solution they can come up with the address the issue.
You can't adjust quality of a patch.. 1's or 0's.. a 1 misinterpreted as a 0 would not be good for your gameplay experience. Adjusting quality of a movie is different from adjusting quality of gameplay code.
Lt. Commander
# 20
02-02-2011, 04:33 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by TF-Omega View Post
You can't adjust quality of a patch.. 1's or 0's.. a 1 misinterpreted as a 0 would not be good for your gameplay experience. Adjusting quality of a movie is different from adjusting quality of gameplay code.
now that just doesn't make sense. netflix was used as an analogy, not a direct correlation. the point is that many companies employ various means to try and accommodate a wide range of customer bandwidth. all that was being suggested was that cryptic do the same in some manner. partitioning the patch or revamping the download manager. and if it is the case that it does (or is supposed to) remember what was downloaded before the disconnect, then now they know that there is a bug in the system. because after my disconnect when i came back i was no closer to being finished, and i had over 20% already downloaded.