Lt. Commander
# 21
02-02-2011, 11:46 PM
This post has been edited to remove content which violates the Cryptic Studios Forum Usage Guidelines ~InfoNinja
Lt. Commander
# 22
02-03-2011, 01:28 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by VVargazm
This post has been edited to remove content which violates the Cryptic Studios Forum Usage Guidelines ~InfoNinja
i didn't demand anything. i simply stated that i was dissatisfied and asked to have my issue addressed if possible. i don't see what's wrong with that... this is a FEEDBACK forum... this thread really isn't open for other people's opinions, anyway. its for discussion among others that may be sharing a similar situation so THEIR voices can be heard. if YOU are happy with the service you're getting, go make YOUR OWN thread and tell them how you feel. this thread is MY feedback. most comments so far have been off-topic... with the exception to the few who have offered other ideas that might offer interim solutions. i really don't understand why i should have to defend myself against people i don't know. if you aren't a developer or a forum moderator or someone offering help in some way, just keep your nose in your own business.
Lt. Commander
# 23
02-03-2011, 08:43 AM
The best thing to get fast updates on Holodeck is to update on Tribble daily befor such an event. When the connection gets lost the patcher doesn't start from the beginning. He will not start at the exact point of interruption. There are packages downloaded and installed. My line is slow too (just 786kb) and with the Tribble updates I didn't needed to download anything yesterday because of my updates of the Tribble Server.

The Update System of STO is really good and even failsafe (as failsafe as such a system can be). The size of the update is depending of the data involved and that can't be changed. STO doesn't start from the beginning after abort and that is cool. Ok, it seems that he starts from the beginning, because it patch base is always the status on the disk against the status needed for the new version.
So if you update an you need 1483MB, you've downloaded 483MB and it patched X% then it aborts, you won't start at 1000MB, but perhaps at 1026MB because there startet the last package of the update. But you can't see the you have patched already 32% because the patcher displays 0% patched. That means:

before abort:
Patched 0%
Downladed 0 / 1483MB

after abort (new start)
Patched 0%
Downladed 0 / 1026MB

So it is impossible to see that something has already been patched / downloaded.
Lt. Commander
# 24
02-03-2011, 09:53 AM
Check your internet connection!

I have downloaded the 1.3gb Patch from Germany with a DSL 4000 Connection, 30 minutes then its done.

All fine, there can be 2gb patches to download, the speed is ok!
Lt. Commander
# 25
02-03-2011, 12:33 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by ThosaH View Post
. this thread is MY feedback. most comments so far have been off-topic... with the exception to the few who have offered other ideas that might offer interim solutions. i really don't understand why i should have to defend myself against people i don't know. if you aren't a developer or a forum moderator or someone offering help in some way, just keep your nose in your own business.
So your feedback has value and that of other people has none. Got it.

Also no one asked you to defend yourself, you suggested the developers waste time addressing a nothing issue for people using dial up. It is on topic for people to say they think the developers should be spending their time on more constructive things that effect all players. Also it would violate forum rules to make a double thread about this as you suggest, and I wouldn't want you to report me again for following your advise.
Lt. Commander
# 26
02-03-2011, 12:37 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by psytce View Post
This is a common misconception, the download does not re-start at the beginning, it re-starts from where it was disconnected from, but the percentage stars at zero and counts the percentage of what you still need to download.

Ex: If the patch is 1 gbs and you get cut off at 30%, when you reconnect you will be downpoading 700mbs, not the 1GB, so the new percentage is on the 700 mbs.....

I hope this clears it up a little ......

Thanks!
yup. its the same for me too.
Lt. Commander
# 27
02-03-2011, 12:42 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cpt.AndreasLoefke
The best thing to get fast updates on Holodeck is to update on Tribble daily befor such an event. When the connection gets lost the patcher doesn't start from the beginning. He will not start at the exact point of interruption. There are packages downloaded and installed. My line is slow too (just 786kb) and with the Tribble updates I didn't needed to download anything yesterday because of my updates of the Tribble Server.

can you post a link to the site? and maybe PM me with some instructions. i've never heard of this before i'd like to check it out.

also i want to publicly state that if the STO patcher does work the way you have said then i apologize for some statements about the DEVs being lazy and such... statements made in ignorance. however the issue still remained that there was a bug somewhere in that my download progress was lost. so there perhaps is still something for them to look into.

i'm not such a little man that i can't own up to it if i've been wrong about something.
Lt. Commander
# 28
02-03-2011, 12:55 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by VVargazm
So your feedback has value and that of other people has none. Got it.

Also no one asked you to defend yourself, you suggested the developers waste time addressing a nothing issue for people using dial up. It is on topic for people to say they think the developers should be spending their time on more constructive things that effect all players. Also it would violate forum rules to make a double thread about this as you suggest, and I wouldn't want you to report me again for following your advise.
i didn't report you dude... sorry if you got a warning and im not mad at ya i was just saying that what was being said wasn't helping. and also, i don't have dial up. i do have DSL. it's not the best package but it is a lot better than dial up. and i was very serious... if you are satisfied tell them they are doing a good job. i'm sure they would appreciate some good feedback too!
Lt. Commander
# 29
02-03-2011, 03:57 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by ThosaH View Post
i didn't report you dude... sorry if you got a warning and im not mad at ya i was just saying that what was being said wasn't helping. and also, i don't have dial up. i do have DSL. it's not the best package but it is a lot better than dial up. and i was very serious... if you are satisfied tell them they are doing a good job. i'm sure they would appreciate some good feedback too!
As I said before I've had DSL for years and never had any of the trouble you are talking about. I know plenty of others who have DSL and have never heard of this. It sounds like a serious problem with your ISP if you are getting bumped for incoming calls. You are paying them good money and should expect and demand good service. That's how I ended up with DSL over Comcast in the first place and my only regret is not making the switch sooner.

As for reporting me I was just tossing that out there, I'm not real upset more like confused as I have said far worse in other threads. Either way I don't think my tone is that bad and if they don't care for it here so be it, maybe by year two I will be banned from the forums, and I can just play the game.

Oh and here's a link to the set up for the test server. http://www.startrekonline.com/test-s...acter-transfer Copy your character and pick tribble in the game launcher and you will get the updates in smaller bites if you log on once a week. I'm not sure if it works as well as some have said on here because I've been using the test server for so long I don't remember a difference.
Lt. Commander
# 30
02-04-2011, 01:46 PM
Never seen an MMO with patches as big as 1 Gig? What have you been playing, facebook games? The definitive LEADER of the industry, World of ******** has an install that's over 20 Gigs now, with SPLIT patches each being over a gig.

They COULD split the data, and let us download it for weeks at a time, or all at once. They probably should. Will they? No, because it would cost them more and you will continue to play regardless.