Lt. Commander
# 1 Salutes
02-02-2011, 12:46 PM
I searched the forums to see if this was posted before, but couldn't find anything.

In Star Trek, they do not salute. If I remember correctly, in the first episode of the next generation they explain that they do not salute, and do not give medals anymore. If I am wrong please correct me, but i'm sure this is correct.
Lt. Commander
# 2
02-02-2011, 01:00 PM
Salutes, no. But medals were handed out frequently. In fact, Data's medals were listed during his trial, so they were clearly still awarded.
Lt. Commander
# 3
02-02-2011, 01:02 PM
maybe it was just wearing them then.
Lt. Commander
# 4
02-02-2011, 01:04 PM
It may not have been done in Trek, but I like this emote because as a player, it feels natural to use in an RP situation.
Lt. Commander
# 5
02-02-2011, 01:04 PM
Gene was against the militarization of Star Trek. That's why there are no salutes.

Now, as to why he put them in a starship that has photon torpedos....
Lt. Commander
# 6
02-02-2011, 01:08 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Commadore_Bob
Gene was against the militarization of Star Trek. That's why there are no salutes.

The photon torpedoes are for defense, and Star Fleet is a military organization. I think he was for a more civilized military.
Lt. Commander
# 7
02-02-2011, 01:14 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Commadore_Bob

I always found that wierd, since in TOS there was all that fighting with the Klingons and the Romulans. I mean, wasn't there, like, almost a Klingon War? It always struck me as a sort of "in denial" kind of thing.
And OP, I think they do still give out medals and commendations. But I think the reason we don't see too much of 'em floatin' around everywhere is for the same reasons that Data kept his put away: they're not really all that important. Nice tokens and all that, but ultimately just that.
Lt. Commander
# 8
02-02-2011, 01:24 PM
Yeah the fighting was against races that were aggressive militarily, and Star Fleet's primary objective was to find a diplomatic solution.
Lt. Commander
# 9
02-02-2011, 01:26 PM
I wouldn't call purposely violating Romulan territory to steal their cloaking device a "diplomatic" solution. That sounds like a standard covert military operation to me.
Lt. Commander
# 10
02-02-2011, 01:28 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Petroglyx
Yeah the fighting was against races that were aggressive militarily, and Star Fleet's primary objective was to find a diplomatic solution.
In retrospect, that's how most of the fighting went down in ST, lol. Starfleet did have it's exploration ships equipped with fancy-pants military hardware for several reasons, though. But mostly to defend themselves. In order to defend themselves Klingons and Romulans, though, they really did have to kinda go all-out.