Lt. Commander
# 1 Why Qs Son?
02-02-2011, 08:08 PM
Just curious as to why the devs chose to put Qs son in the club and not STO original Q.

Also is it the original Q in the fountain?
Lt. Commander
# 2
02-02-2011, 08:09 PM
Because they dont want to pay the fee to use John de Lancie's character likeness.
Lt. Commander
# 3
02-02-2011, 08:12 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by The.Grand.Nagus View Post
Because they dont want to pay the fee to use John de Lancie's character likeness.
Either that, or they haven't gotten 'permission' from CBS/Mr. De Lancie...

OMG, if ONLY we could have the original with John De Lancie doing the voice overs... *Swoon* I would just LOVE that.
Lt. Commander
# 4
02-02-2011, 08:24 PM
Or we could have decided to use Q's son simply because it has been some time since Q's son entered the world and we thought it would be interesting to introduce him as part of the continuum.
Lt. Commander
# 5
02-02-2011, 08:29 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Treagersama View Post
Either that, or they haven't gotten 'permission' from CBS/Mr. De Lancie...

OMG, if ONLY we could have the original with John De Lancie doing the voice overs... *Swoon* I would just LOVE that.
Seconded, DStahl, could we please get the original Q in? Maybe a new mission involving both Qs?
Lt. Commander
# 6
02-02-2011, 08:30 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by dstahl View Post
Or we could have decided to use Q's son simply because it has been some time since Q's son entered the world and we thought it would be interesting to introduce him as part of the continuum.
That doesnt really jive with the direction you seem to be going with the rest of the game though. For example, since launch pretty much all the ships you have added have been old ships from the shows/movies. The reason is obvious, because that is what people are familiar with and want to see. I mean, look what you just did with ESD. Rather than following what made sense as far as the game's story went, you decided to go for nostalgia. So I have a hard time believing you simply decided not to use such a nostalgic character as "Q" simply because you wanted to explore his son's story.
Lt. Commander
# 7
02-02-2011, 08:34 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Philoso_Raptor
That doesnt really jive with the direction you seem to be going with the rest of the game though. For example, since launch pretty much all the ships you have added have been old ships from the shows/movies. The reason is obvious, because that is what people are familiar with and want to see. I mean, look what you just did with ESD. Rather than following what made sense as far as the game's story went, you decided to go for nostalgia. So I have a hard time believing you simply decided not to use such a nostalgic character as "Q" simply because you wanted to explore his son's story.
Not all the ships are ones we are familiar. Sure a good portion of them are, but there are also a whole bunch of new ones. Also people have requested ships that they love from the shows. The same that is true with ESD. Ever since launch people have been asking for the original ESD not the one the new/old one we had. So really it isn't Cryptic's choice to put the nostalgic items in, its requested by the community.

As far as the original Q is concerned, its possible that their original thoughts were "instead of paying John we'll just continue with his son". Perhaps if it becomes highly requested then they'll bring in the original Q with John's voice over, like they did with Leeta and Chase Masterson.
Lt. Commander
# 8
02-02-2011, 08:38 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Philoso_Raptor
All the characters, from sulu, to smiley, etc, that weren't from a time travel episode were new. Don't confuse your dislike for nostalgia as a focus for the games story. Q's son means being able to do things the original may not have. Maybe he learned a few things that father didn't? You can make a new story wrapped in a old skin.

Q was a trickster, maybe his son could be a little more? (while still having the traits of dad.)
Lt. Commander
# 9
02-02-2011, 08:40 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by maina View Post
Don't confuse your dislike for nostalgia....
/assumption fail. I never said that.
Lt. Commander
# 10
02-02-2011, 08:44 PM
I would just hope that the next time we see Q's son, he does something his father WOULDN'T do.

Like... Maybe he's more fascinated with Klingons and finds humans boring. There's a way to give the Klingons some unique content.

Or maybe he could helm a weekly series pitting the Federation and Klingons against eachother in a whimsical battle scenario with an accompanying PvP map based on Q's Planet from Hide & Q with green skies and dog lizard things in toy soldier outfits. (Most of the basic assets you'd need for this are around.)

Heck, maybe he could screw up and somebody tricks him into giving them his powers.

If it's not classic Q, we might as well get him doing things his dad wouldn't do unless you're going to go the goofball route I suggested and reveal that Q is his own father and that Q Jr. grows up to be Q Sr. -- He just doesn't know it yet.