Lt. Commander
# 11
02-02-2011, 08:47 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Treagersama View Post
Either that, or they haven't gotten 'permission' from CBS/Mr. De Lancie...

OMG, if ONLY we could have the original with John De Lancie doing the voice overs... *Swoon* I would just LOVE that.
de Lancie doing a voice over in the game would be almost nosebleed-worthy. lol
Lt. Commander
# 12
02-02-2011, 08:50 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Philoso_Raptor
/assumption fail. I never said that.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Philoso_Raptor
. Rather than following what made sense as far as the game's story went, you decided to go for nostalgia..

Maybe.

That doesn't change what I said.

Quote:
Originally Posted by maina View Post
You can make a new story wrapped in a old skin.
Lt. Commander
# 13
02-02-2011, 10:22 PM
I do hope they can get more Trek alumni to do voice work. De Lancie is at the top of my list.
Lt. Commander
# 14
02-02-2011, 10:29 PM
we would love to do more alumni voice overs as well, but not at the price of a full time employee for 1 year... that is really what it boils down to. I can get far more in game content and features out of a FTE than I can out of a 15 minute VO clip. when you are a small indie studio (which Cryptic really is - our team is much smaller than say... the team working on SWTOR).. you have to use your resources the best you can.

i have to imagine that the original star trek tv show had some of the same constraints when it came to budgets, props, sfx, etc.

At the end of the day Star Trek still succeeded because it was the story and the principals of the show that won people over. That is what Star Trek Online needs to focus on in my opinion.
Lt. Commander
# 15
02-02-2011, 10:39 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by dstahl View Post
we would love to do more alumni voice overs as well, but not at the price of a full time employee for 1 year... that is really what it boils down to. I can get far more in game content and features out of a FTE than I can out of a 15 minute VO clip. when you are a small indie studio (which Cryptic really is - our team is much smaller than say... the team working on SWTOR).. you have to use your resources the best you can.

i have to imagine that the original star trek tv show had some of the same constraints when it came to budgets, props, sfx, etc.

At the end of the day Star Trek still succeeded because it was the story and the principals of the show that won people over. That is what Star Trek Online needs to focus on in my opinion.
This goes back to my thought that you could surely get an internal VO Troupe for the price of that one established Trek actor. (If not less.)

And you could probably get someone who does good impressions of actors that wouldn't be interested in STO anyway. I've been told I do a good Doctor, Data, and McCoy and I doubt I'm unique on this front. And recasting McCoy, respectfully, is one of those things that would simply be a reality in a game like this.

On the downside, you have stuff like Buffy Season 8 motion comics, which gets perceived as scab work by actors who don't capture the likeness. But on the flipside, you had a voice actress who specialized in doing Buffy for the video games because Sarah Michelle Gellar wasn't interested and she built chemistry with the cast they did have enough that the plan was for her to take over the role in the cartoon.

Paramount was okay with recasting for Elite Forces and DS9: The Fallen when an actor was expensive/unavailable.

Now, I know everyone wants their favorite actors if at all possible but if it isn't possible, I have seen communities rally around a good likeness before.

The keys are quality of the portrayal and not stepping too hard on an actor's toes. If you limited the recasting to cases where an actor has displayed lack of interest or is no longer with us, I think you can do it IF the quality is there.
Lt. Commander
# 16
02-02-2011, 10:44 PM
***edit****..................
Lt. Commander
# 17
02-02-2011, 10:47 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by dstahl View Post
Or we could have decided to use Q's son simply because it has been some time since Q's son entered the world and we thought it would be interesting to introduce him as part of the continuum.
Beside this, Q-Junior is actually the only Q who really understand how the humans actually think. Q learned the hard lesson, but was short after the old Q again, but Junior learned what's behind the mortal state. So, I think the choice is more than perfect. Q is a fan of the hunamity, but Qj is our geek. It simply fits!
Lt. Commander
# 18
02-02-2011, 11:03 PM
If actual cast members are too costly, I'd rather see Cryptic create original characters with cheaper but decent voice actors. The PA announcer for the new ESD doesn't sound too bad. A new line of EMH's with a new voice and look as just one example. The IKS Lollipop is pretty well know. Care to give us a voice Captain for it and some run-ins for both factions?
Lt. Commander
# 19
02-03-2011, 08:15 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by JCSWW View Post
If actual cast members are too costly, I'd rather see Cryptic create original characters with cheaper but decent voice actors. The PA announcer for the new ESD doesn't sound too bad. A new line of EMH's with a new voice and look as just one example. The IKS Lollipop is pretty well know. Care to give us a voice Captain for it and some run-ins for both factions?

I agree with this, I -loved- the murderous Hologram in What Lies Beneath. BONNIE-KINS!
Lt. Commander
# 20
02-03-2011, 08:46 AM
Maybe Q was taking a vacation a few galaxies away at the time.