Lt. Commander
# 21
02-03-2011, 08:46 AM
What about an online VO audition? Players with the most interesting voices (and an appropriate degree of acting skill) get to have their voices featured in the game. It could be for the simple pleasure of saying "Hey, that's me! I'm the voice of so and so.". I'm sure there are legions of fans who would do it simply for love of the game.

Celebrities aren't the only people with great voices.
Lt. Commander
# 22
02-03-2011, 09:09 AM
Agreed. STO--as with many MMOs--has an extraordinary community that would love to contribute in all sorts of ways.

So, hold auditions, devs! Give us some test lines, let us send you our voice clips, see who's good enough to use!
Lt. Commander
# 23
02-03-2011, 09:22 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by dstahl View Post
we would love to do more alumni voice overs as well, but not at the price of a full time employee for 1 year... that is really what it boils down to. I can get far more in game content and features out of a FTE than I can out of a 15 minute VO clip. when you are a small indie studio (which Cryptic really is - our team is much smaller than say... the team working on SWTOR).. you have to use your resources the best you can.

i have to imagine that the original star trek tv show had some of the same constraints when it came to budgets, props, sfx, etc.

At the end of the day Star Trek still succeeded because it was the story and the principals of the show that won people over. That is what Star Trek Online needs to focus on in my opinion.
I am glad you feel that way. I know that there are many who want voice overs in game but text is just fine. Not having the voice from an actor/actress doesnt mean that you can not introduce or have their character in a storyline e.g. Worf, McCoy, Scotty, etc...

I would definitely like to see something with the Doctor from Voyager.
Lt. Commander
# 24
02-03-2011, 11:56 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by innocuous9
Agreed. STO--as with many MMOs--has an extraordinary community that would love to contribute in all sorts of ways.

So, hold auditions, devs! Give us some test lines, let us send you our voice clips, see who's good enough to use!
Yup, guaranteed to get thousands of contributions, I would contribute, but then someone has to go through all of the community VO work and then there are probably legal things that would stand in the way.
Lt. Commander
# 25
02-03-2011, 01:17 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alecto View Post
Yup, guaranteed to get thousands of contributions, I would contribute, but then someone has to go through all of the community VO work and then there are probably legal things that would stand in the way.
I would frankly feel a lot more qualified for this than the Enterprise design contest. Not every Trekkie is an engineering whiz. The Foundry incorporates writers but it would be amazing to incorporate actors.

Especially if they ever wanted to get BO voiceover ironed out, in which case it would help to have tons of variations on lines.
Lt. Commander
# 26
02-03-2011, 01:33 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Khannnnn
What about an online VO audition?
I do an awesome Morn.
Lt. Commander
# 27
02-03-2011, 01:33 PM
I'm glad it's Q's son and not Q himself, due to his utter *****fication at the hands of Janeway. Does anyone remember when Q used to be interesting and a little bit frightening?
Lt. Commander
# 28
02-03-2011, 01:37 PM
You know, Keegan de Lancie is right about the right age for this grown up version of the character now. He'd probably cost a lot less than his dad too.

Hell, you know if you ask them, most Trek stars would probably do some voice work for free. They're really nice like that for the most part.

Lt. Commander
# 29
02-03-2011, 02:00 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by dstahl View Post
Or we could have decided to use Q's son simply because it has been some time since Q's son entered the world and we thought it would be interesting to introduce him as part of the continuum.
I had figured it was because using DeLancie's likeness would have cost more money. :3

Though, personally, I think it would have been worth it to have him do voice overs for Q.
Lt. Commander
# 30
02-03-2011, 02:43 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katic View Post
Seconded, DStahl, could we please get the original Q in? Maybe a new mission involving both Qs?
I support this idea if it's one where we treknobabble them to death. HATE Q!