Lt. Commander
# 11
02-03-2011, 01:07 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by QuanManChu
I am not opposed to having a Disco in Earth Space dock when you consider that the Flag ship had a bar.....just saying. Not to mention...since the space dock is the equivalent of a old earth military based, it is pretty much accurate. Why? Most american military bases for example have NCO clubs.
this is true... haven't been there myself yet, so its a bit of a spoiler. disco? not my first choice but yeah you can't have a good military post without a good club.

*source- 5 years of service*
Lt. Commander
# 12
02-03-2011, 05:13 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ayenn
This is feedback I want to reiterate. Ive been okay with much of the development of STO but this (and the Foundry) is just poor decision making. I know both the new (old) ESD and its poorly conceived rational and the Foundry are not going to change. Still, Cryptic claims they listen so I'm sayin...

I cannot stand the new (old) ESD exterior or that discotheque ON A MILITARY SPACE STATION. The explanation for it showing up again is at best weak. Don't give me that "its a humanitarian peace keeping armada" line either. Armada has an exclusive military connotation. Starfleet is a military organization.

/end line
Captain Picard says Starfleet is not a military organization, so who has more credibility, you or him?
Lt. Commander
# 13
02-03-2011, 05:24 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thrax73
Captain Picard says Starfleet is not a military organization, so who has more credibility, you or him?
Right, I was just going to say I didn't even know star fleet was military organization. Its certainly never stuck me as such..
Lt. Commander
# 14 New ESD
02-03-2011, 05:28 AM
I like the interior, although the disc should be benind doors like quarks.

The old exterior was btter I think though, all in all most of the changes are good.

Gonna go play right now!
Lt. Commander
# 15
02-03-2011, 05:33 AM
The fact that they use ranks and there is an obvious chain of command makes it at the very least a para-military organization. Having said that, I used to be in the army, and I can confirm you can't go to any army post, air force base, or navy port and not find at least one club. Most have a couple so that those who don't like to dance or whatever have someplace to hang out, too.

Basically this is a whine thread because whatever OP wanted done hasn't been done yet. The Q story may be weak, but they have to have an in-game explanation. The out-of-game explanation is clear to anyone who has spent more than the 5 minutes needed to post their whine thread on the forum. The old spacedock was requested by a huge amount of the players who bother to post on the forums.

A company giving a large chunk of its audience what they want is never a bad thing, even if the in-game explanation is a bit weak.
Lt. Commander
# 16
02-03-2011, 09:15 AM
I need to find a link... Please hold.

AHA!
Ok so it's another starbase but its the same blueprints. Now where is my indoor lake... *spreads some noms so Cryptic will find this post and get ideas*
Lt. Commander
# 17
02-03-2011, 10:39 AM
Huh, that blueprint shows that there is a commerce zone and a recreation zone.

Mind you, those are soft canon at best. However, I seem to remember Dr. McCoy going to a bar/lounge in ST III looking to arrange a ride to the Genesis planet. Now, that may or may not be on the Starbase (I had assumed that it wasn't). However, if it is, then it sets a precedent of there being recreational facilities on board, as well as a mingling of civilian and Starfleet personnel in at least some areas.

My opinion is that the central flaw in the current Starbase interior design is that it is arranged as wedges on a ring, when it would actually have discreet levels for each major function. However, I can understand the game design decision for making it as it is, and so it really doesn't bother me much.

I would have liked to see an arboretum on SB1 rather than a disco (or maybe an "open air" disco area?). Also, I would like to see an Opera House/Mosh Pit on Qo'Nos, as well as a Bat'leth dueling arena.
Lt. Commander
# 18
02-03-2011, 01:22 PM
here's my gripe about the earth space dock... it's so space in-efficient. you have to either run along the outer ring hallway all the way through other rooms to get where you want, or take another long rout through the center and then another long hallway. and it still dumps you out in the outer ring hallway. what they should have done is made pie wedge shaped rooms with the command center ... in the center... with each room having access directly to it. and then concentric ring hallways between the rooms. so you can have a direct line of sight to any of the rooms.

also... for the record::

military, noun
plural military also mil·i·tar·ies
Definition of MILITARY
1: military persons; especially : army officers
2: armed forces

armed forces
noun pl
Definition of ARMED FORCES
: the combined military, naval, and air forces of a nation —called also armed services

armed
adj \ˈärmd\
Definition of ARMED
1 a : furnished with weapons <an armed guard>; also : using or involving a weapon
b : furnished with something that provides security, strength, or efficacy <armed with knowledge>
2: marked by the maintenance of armed forces in readiness

court-mar·tial (kôrtmärshl, krt-)
n. pl. courts-mar·tial (kôrts-, krts-)
1. A military or naval court of officers appointed by a commander to try persons for offenses under military law.
2. A trial by such a military tribunal.
tr.v. court-mar·tialed also court-mar·tialled, court-mar·tial·ing also court-mar·tial·ling, court-mar·tials also court-mar·tials
To try by military tribunal.

star fleet officers are armed, charged with the defense of a nation, belong to a cohesive unit, and may be court-martialled for offenses against their code of military justice by an officer panel appointed by a commander. sounds like a military to me!

SOURCE: Webster's dictionary
Lt. Commander
# 19
02-03-2011, 01:44 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by ThosaH View Post
star fleet officers are armed, charged with the defense of a nation, belong to a cohesive unit, and may be court-martialled for offenses against their code of military justice by an officer panel appointed by a commander. sounds like a military to me!

SOURCE: Webster's dictionary
Aye, I always considered ST as a military operation. Even in the Next Gen they have spec ops missions in a couple episodes. Our present day military has many facets from scientific research, exploration, aid stations, engineers, counter intelligence, to video game designers and anything else you can think of that society has. Star Fleet to me, would be the perfect example of a futuristic navy.

Anyway, about the disco, yeah, I don't have a problem with it. I've been in the military and bars and clubs are not uncommon on bases. People need to relieve stress and have social interaction beyond what you would find on a starship. Bassically that space station could be "Shore Leave" for some of the crew, so yeah, there may be fun things to do there. (No...to me discos are NOT fun, but I see why they would have one!)
Lt. Commander
# 20
02-03-2011, 06:02 PM
Like others have said, there is nothing wrong with Club 47, because ESD is a mix of Starfleet and Civilian traffic. And of course theres got to be spots to wind down.

As for switching back to the old ESD Model, people wanted this even before STO launched, because we never got a clear understanding why the old ESD wasn't around anymore. And it was a well recognized Star Trek Icon.

Now it doesn't mean Cryptic is doing to delete the model, I can see them reusing it as another HUB. Be great if it was a waypoint station into the Delta Quadrant or Deep Space as a starbase.