Go Back   Star Trek Online > Feedback > Federation Gameplay
Login

Lt. Commander
# 21
02-06-2011, 09:37 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by boglejam View Post
Good news for you then. Since you aren't willing to wait, you only have to choose between two options.

Accept it as it is, or quit playing.

Problem solved.

Oh, but if they do "eventually" implement it, I expect you to be true to your code and refuse to use the shuttlebay feature as a matter of principle.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Savnoka
What an utterly illogical statement.

I can pretty much sum this up in short:

I agree fully with your dissatisfaction with the shuttle issues. However, unlike many other problems and complaints people have, Cryptic clearly already has plans to make shuttles useful in the near future.

Given they built a whole mission around the shuttle, I hardly think it likely they are going to leave them as the near - useless novelty items that they are currently.

Given the community's predilection for digging up ANY scrap of evidence that a Cryptic Dev said something would be done and it wasn't, I doubt a Cryptic Dev would make a bold statement like that unless it was already in the works.

Caveat: Eventually does indeed mean never , but only for KDF side content.

Firstly, my statement is borne out of years of observations of various MMOG developers. It is both reasonable and logical, but only if you have watched over the course of years promises of "eventual" content quietly be dropped, never to be heard from again. I only get excited about upcoming content once it reaches some form of beta, either open or closed.

Secondly, do not assume that I am part of the "I'm dissatisfied" chorus. I am not. I would prefer if shuttle craft had a specific use outside of being a gimmick in one or two tailored missions, but I am by no means unhappy in their implementation, just their utilization. I have seen many such gimmicks introduced in other games, only to be quietly ignored shortly there-after by content developers.

Sure, the ability to go to your shuttle bay and pick out your launch would be nice. I would fully utilize this feature. However, it is not necessary, and would divert significant resources away from developing critical areas in STO.
Lt. Commander
# 22
02-06-2011, 09:37 AM
ITT: People who don't realize that programing a game to do things it doesn't currently do takes time and effort and cannot simply be willed into existence because "I want it now". People who don't realize what already huge leaps have been made in this game since it's launch. Also, people who do understand these things....but seem to be in the vocal minority on these forums.

Also to the eventually=never crowd, you haven't been here that long or you haven't been paying attention. Alot of the eventually's from launch have become things alot of you take for granted. Difficulty slider and death penalties are the first thing that pops into mind. More KDF content and more KDF ships also. Not to mention more Fed ships and content.
Lt. Commander
# 23
02-06-2011, 05:25 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by BumpBump
It's also within our rights as paying customers to expect Cryptic to listen to feedback, not just blow it off. Shuttles are supposed to be carried on ships not be long range minifighters.
well then to be fair the only shuttle thats actually in shuttle is the shuttle type 8.

the runabout is a courier type ship (watch ds9 to see where these things used to go)

and i suppose one could say the flyer is a big shuttle but its more runabout ish then anything else.
Lt. Commander
# 24
02-07-2011, 03:55 AM
Sorry ThomasGideon
This thread has become yet another Rant and rave, without even reading the thread.

I here you dude. I understand, but in order to save this thread I have decided to not continue this thread from this post onwards. I suggest you do the same.

It's so hard to be heard when no one listens. No seriously just because you can post doesn't mean you can listen. Threads are a conversation. Now a conversation is were everyone is willing to acknowledge others opinions. An argument is when people refuse to believe or understand what anyone else is saying.

These forums used to be a place of humble Trek Fans, Who new how to write a decent conversation and not pages of statements.

It's getting ridiculous and I hate knowing the good old days are behind us.

Good Luck ThomasGideon.

Sometimes I'm as bad as the rest. lol...

Thanks Dracosblood...
Hope your as ecstatic as I am, having been away from the game for a short period.
Lt. Commander
# 25
02-07-2011, 07:50 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by filbones View Post

It's getting ridiculous and I hate knowing the good old days are behind us.

Actually, I think Frank Sinatra said it best.

I just want people to not get all worked up for something which may not even be possible, and then suffer letdown and disappointment if it doesn't happen. I have seen products not living up to assumptions cause more damage to MMOG subscriptions than ALMOST anything else, and nobody is to blame but those people who build up such assumptions in the first place.
Lt. Commander
# 26
02-08-2011, 01:30 PM
In anycase I don't agree with them make the shuttles oink up a valiable ship slot they need at least a seperate shuttle slot added to your ship roster.
Lt. Commander
# 27
02-08-2011, 02:59 PM
honestly you can try berate my comment, but you can take it or leave it. and i also have no intention of quitting or giving up simply because the problem exists.

that person was right about 'Eventually', eventually is another way of saying it 'might be' meaning it may never happen. its a middle answer and with middle answers it happens or dont, but until there is some significant progress towards the way of it getting implemented i choose to ignore it and move on since there is no further point to a logic-less topic of shooting in the dark. you may think it could be added and get excited over it, but then again it 'could' be buried.

the shuttle idea is solid, but it would take a lot of man power and time to do, and further to that point how many people would actually fly a shuttle from their ships bay anyhow? someone here said it best themselves, its a gimmick for the moment and no real use to it past 1 or 2 missions which means in my eyes, its a useless idea unless the shuttle has a more regular feature then just the star ship every time.
Lt. Commander
# 28
02-08-2011, 03:31 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Destoroyah
In anycase I don't agree with them make the shuttles oink up a valiable ship slot they need at least a seperate shuttle slot added to your ship roster.
Except that it doesn't. It says when you get permission to get the shuttle that you are given an extra ship slot. If you want you can do the mission then decommission the shuttle. Even if you don't, you are compensated for having to take the shuttle for the mission and break even on ship slots. And if you decommission the ship afterwards then you actually benefitted off of the mission and are up one slot.
Lt. Commander
# 29
02-08-2011, 04:01 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by PrincessKatrina View Post
Except that it doesn't. It says when you get permission to get the shuttle that you are given an extra ship slot. If you want you can do the mission then decommission the shuttle. Even if you don't, you are compensated for having to take the shuttle for the mission and break even on ship slots. And if you decommission the ship afterwards then you actually benefitted off of the mission and are up one slot.
Yep, the only way you lose is if you decide you want TWO shuttles. (BTW, it's the "Size Doesn't Matter" Accolade that gives you the slot, so if you're not sure if you've got one, check for that Accolade. Although, if you have an even number of slots instead of an odd number that should also be a clue)
Lt. Commander
# 30
02-09-2011, 04:33 AM
Ignoring the retardet flamers who respond with "go play something else" to any critic to their "holy game" for a minute: I basicly agree with the OP. It sucks to have go to a starbase to use a shutle. And it doesnt seem right that a shutles takes the same ship slot a Souverign takes, no matter if we get one free or not.

For the "undocking" to be a mechanic that isnt in the game... thats simply wrong. Shutle using could be, for example, a variation of the saucer sepperation skill of the galaxy. That way we could undock the shutle and fly it next to our current ship.
But I dont thing THAT would be necessary. Honestly, the shutles have wrong sizes compared to the large ships anyway, flying arround with both just would remind me of that.
Also, what should be the use; shutles are there to go to locations INDEPENDET from the large ship; missions the Vault, missions like "go to system XY, to make stuff while the major ship is with the first officer in charge on another mission", missions like "make diplomatic suff here, but the people feel threatened by a large ship so... use your shutle"; that are the kinds off missions I can imagine for shutles.

But a mechanic to switch to a shutle in another way then going to a Starbase is IMO necessary and imo VERY easy to implement.
I mean having a Shutlebay in the Interior would be nice (and I dont thing its so hard to design one) but not realy necessary. They would just have to add a console or NPC in the interior that opens the same ship-switching window we have on star bases. The only thing above "Copy and paste" to do that is that it would have to be limited to Shutles.
So.... going on Shutle missions would just we "Visit the bridge", go to NPC/Console, click "set as current" at the shutlecraft, leave ship and we would be on shutle.
A little harder to implement would be the switching back, they would have to make sure that if we could use "Visit the Bridge" on a shutle we end up in the interior of our previously chosen mothership ship (intsead of not having that option on shutles) and beeing able to "set as current" that bigger ship.

Honestly, I dont know why THAT should be hard to add. At least temprary until a real cool shutle-undock mechanic comes arround.