Lt. Commander
# 11
02-04-2011, 07:01 PM
Yeah, I think they should first add Scotty and McCoy, as they are now LEGALLY able to be put in the game. Of course, Cryptic would have to get the idea past CBS. Now, as the game goes on and Cryptic is able to pay actors for their likenesses, they can add more and more characters.
Lt. Commander
# 12
02-04-2011, 07:19 PM
i know they are not allowed to make characters look like the actors, but does that mean they can't make a picard? or they can't make him bald? where is the line? i think you have to ask: is picard bald or patrick stewart?
Lt. Commander
# 13
02-04-2011, 08:54 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by wd_harding
Surely that just applies to players and what they create, not Cryptic who bought the license?
No. Paramount doesn't actually own the likeness of specific actors.You can't own someone's face after all. They are allowed to use any footage they took of the actor in any way they wish though. They just can't create new footage with it.
When they did McCoy and Scotty, they were able to get permission from their respective estates. Being dead, their image didn't matter.

Quote:
Originally Posted by babakadouche View Post
i know they are not allowed to make characters look like the actors, but does that mean they can't make a picard? or they can't make him bald? where is the line? i think you have to ask: is picard bald or patrick stewart?
Yes and no.
They can't make new characters that have the same name as the old ones with some very rare exceptions (Naomi, Echeb and Ms. Paris). Paramount has rules against reimaging captains and main cast. This doesn't apply to a total reboot mind you but they would have a big problem if you made a different actor and called it Picard.

Next, Patric Stewart has to approve the use of his likeness in the game before it can be used and it's not likely that he will. He's trying to wash his hands of Star Trek and being put into this game would not be something he's likely to do.

But why use the Heroes of the past?
You guys are a bunch of nostalgic saps. Look not to the past, look to the present. Use the captain's database to randomly put in say... 5 captains, standing proud as a hologram. Each time you go in, it's someone different.
Sort of like if you randomly clicked on and read the bios of 5 captains on the site.
Lt. Commander
# 14
02-05-2011, 01:15 AM
Because that's what the Captain's table is about. Captains of all eras coming together and sharing theirr stories.
I've never read the novels, but from what I know every captain coming in there and getting a drink has to tell one.
Putting five holographic player toons there would be a nice decoration touch but doesn't make the place anymore interesting really.

Someone said, the kernel of my idea was great, just the mission thing was too much.
Essentially I agree.
Although when brainstorming about these things you should aspire to something great anyway.
And if the devs get around to doing something in this direction , they still have the kernel as the basis to build on and do what is actually possible with it.
Lt. Commander
# 15
02-05-2011, 05:51 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by wd_harding
Surely that just applies to players and what they create, not Cryptic who bought the license?

If I'm understanding the issue properly.. Cryptic hasn't "bought" the license.. they "lease/rent" it... to buy would insinuate ownership.. and they definitely do no have that, or they wouldn't have to get CBS approval on most issues.. from ships to character rights...

That's if I understand it correctly though.

Saith
Lt. Commander
# 16
02-05-2011, 07:31 AM
Really liking this idea. I don't think it should be exclusive to the captains table though. As a customer who just finished his first month of free play, I'm still not sure how long I'm going to play this game and I can't justify paying for a life time sub. I'd feel like I was being penalised for not having enough money and I think lots of other players would feel aggrieved also.

So either reduce the waiting time for the captains table. If it is 400 days, then that's too long IMO. 100 or 150 days seems about right to me.

Or have these iconic characters appear in a holodeck somewhere on ESD or even implement that onto our ships.

As for using actors images, that might be something we can't hurdle. I can understand Patrick Stewart's position. I believe also Avery Brooks would probably be averse to the idea.

There are lots of other characters that could be used though. They dont' need to be the captains. Garrett ****, Robert Beltran, Will Wheaton, Levar Burton, Michael Dorn, JG Hertzler, Robert O'Reillly, Andrew Robinson, The 'Its a FAAAAAAAKE' Romulan, Rene Auberjonois, Nana Visitor, Armin Shimerman.... etc.

I'm sure some of them would like to give permission for their features to be used. I'm sure some might even like to do voice overs too.
Lt. Commander
# 17
02-05-2011, 07:33 AM
He he.. That should read Garrett W-a-n-g. The actor that played Ensign Kim.