Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
I started rambling about this in another thread for awhile before realizing that it was its own topic.

I've considered various ideas for KDF Diplomacy including insult wars, straightforward diplomacy, rescuing the weak from a foe that fights with an unfair advantage... But maybe the most Klingon way to do Diplomacy would simply be to give them "Honor Judgment" missions where they're presented with a problem and must act as the judge of which of two parties is behaving with superior honor. For example, a dispute between an Orion and a Gorn or two rival houses. Your Klingon faction captain goes in, hears and investigates the claims, and judges who is in the right.

Judging correctly yields Judgment XP. They get to rank up as a Klingon Advocate (ala Worf's grandfather) and all the way up to Judge, with the judge's hood and gavel as the final reward. In place of "Exchange Officers", they have Rura Penthe prisoners released into their custody on "work detail".

Ranks would be:

Litigator
Advocate
Mediator
Judge

Here's a nice little overview of Klingon law.

I'd have it so that Klingons get transwarps similar to Starfleet diplomats, as sectors are opened. In place of "Diplomatic Immunity" they get something like "Honorable Pardon". In place of the diplomat's uniform, they'd get a hood and/or gavel.

Oh. And instead of the briefing room used in Fed First Contact missons, Klingons get a room like the trial room in STVI. It's really very simple. It's two spotlights, a platform, some wall textures, and a judge podium.

The basic trial missions would build up to your Captain arguing a case ala Colonel Worf. The First Contact counterparts would have you seated behind the judge's podium, deciding the case.
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 2
02-03-2011, 06:08 PM
I believe to balance the Diplomacy Content the klingons were given exclusive access to their Sorties.
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 3
02-03-2011, 06:09 PM
I like it ,
My only concern is how repetiitive this will be.

FEDS get like 5 diff explore FDC missions, so how would we vary the trial system?
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 4
02-03-2011, 06:10 PM
i like this idea
/signed
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 5
02-03-2011, 06:11 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyHappyJoyJoy View Post
I believe to balance the Diplomacy Content the klingons were given exclusive access to their Sorties.
Hrm.

Well, even speaking as someone who mostly plays Federation, I'd suggest giving Klingons their legal system (which reflects their pride, tradition, and honor) and then maybe looking at adding federation Sorties down the road once Klingons are in better shape. (Heck, they're eliminating DSEs and I wouldn't be shocked if the replacement wasn't an expanded implementation of Sorties.)
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 6
02-03-2011, 06:12 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Admiral_Daedelus
I like it ,
My only concern is how repetiitive this will be.

FEDS get like 5 diff explore FDC missions, so how would we vary the trial system?
Maybe the investigation phase prior to the trial could have you on a Klingon holodeck, attempting to reconstruct the crime and look for clues.
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 7
02-03-2011, 06:25 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leviathan99
Hrm.

Well, even speaking as someone who mostly plays Federation, I'd suggest giving Klingons their legal system (which reflects their pride, tradition, and honor) and then maybe looking at adding federation Sorties down the road once Klingons are in better shape. (Heck, they're eliminating DSEs and I wouldn't be shocked if the replacement wasn't an expanded implementation of Sorties.)
Personally I'd prefer if both sides were unique, with content that doesn't directly mirror what the opposing faction has. If everything is the same why bother with factions?

Too much of the factions have already become a bland, grey, homogenized pile of sameness.

I play both sides of the coin and I'd rather still have a reason to do so. If we're going to break down the walls we may as well toss the entire idea of factions out the window and have the UFP and Empire as allies again as they were in TNG since the factions won't serve any real purpose beyond window dressing.

I can't express how deeply I disagree with your suggestions.
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 8
02-03-2011, 06:29 PM
I have to admit, when I read the title I was thinking something totally different.

Trial, as in levels of achievements, rites of passage, etc. Becoming an Order of the Bat'leth, 3rd order or something.


This would work too, though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leviathan99
Maybe the investigation phase prior to the trial could have you on a Klingon holodeck, attempting to reconstruct the crime and look for clues.

And now I am picturing Phoenix Wright, Attorney at Law style gameplay. It hurts my brain.
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 9
02-03-2011, 06:30 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyHappyJoyJoy View Post
Personally I'd prefer if both sides were unique, with content that doesn't directly mirror what the opposing faction has. If everything is the same why bother with factions?

Too much of the factions have already become a bland, grey, homogenized pile of sameness.

I play both sides of the coin and I'd rather still have a reason to do so. If we're going to break down the walls we may as well toss the entire idea of factions out the window and have the UFP and Empire as allies again as they were in TNG since the factions won't serve any real purpose beyond window dressing.

I can't express how deeply I disagree with your suggestions.
So they should return the Klingons to a PVP only faction then to make sure we remain "unique" and make sure we don't have anything the Feds do?
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 10
02-03-2011, 06:31 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyHappyJoyJoy View Post
Personally I'd prefer if both sides were unique, with content that doesn't directly mirror what the opposing faction has. If everything is the same why bother with factions?

Too much of the factions have already become a bland, grey, homogenized pile of sameness.

I play both sides of the coin and I'd rather still have a reason to do so. If we're going to break down the walls we may as well toss the entire idea of factions out the window and have the UFP and Empire as allies again as they were in TNG since the factions won't serve any real purpose beyond window dressing.

I can't express how deeply I disagree with your suggestions.
I really don't favor imbalanced number of mechanics, period.

This would be a way for Klingons to get something similar WITHOUT it being identical. It has a different look, a different flavor, something iconically Klingon.

Klingon law and Klingon trials are a big part of Klingon culture. How else would you suggest realizing that?

Klingons are not ALL combat. A non-combat form of progression that is true to the IP seems like a win-win. Don't like it, don't play it.
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 12:00 AM.